Manning & Saban get together in t-town

Newbomb

Ok multiple articles on this each with their own spin. I first heard that Saban was picking Peyton's brain over stopping HUNH offenses. One article says Peyton/Gase may have violated NFL rules by talking shop when they met with Saban. Also article hint that Vols might get their panties in a bunch over their hero meeting with Saban. http://q.usatoday.com/2014/04/18/nfl-peyton-manning-nick-saban-meet-denver-broncos-alabama-crimson-tide/

NFL offseason

11hr

Nick Saban hosts Peyton Manning in visit of ‘mutual benefit’

By Lorenzo Reyes

usatsi_7544258.jpg?w=640&h=425

Nick Saban (John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports)

What could Alabama coach Nick Saban and Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning learn from each other?

A lot, apparently.

Saban hosted Manning and Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase for two days last week.

“A lot of people would say, ‘Wow, the guy is one of the best, if not the best, from a career standpoint and about as good as anyone has been in the history of the league,’ ” Saban said, according to Alex Scarborough of ESPN.com. “After all the experience and knowledge that he has, he’s going out to try and seek more knowledge and understudying of the game of football so he can play better.”

It’s common for coaches from the college and professional ranks to meet during the offseason to exchange ideas that can help them prepare for what each team will see in the upcoming season. What’s rare, however, is for a player to be involved. If anything, that shows the status and respect that Manning carries in football circles.

Because Alabama runs a pro-style defense that has struggled with hurry-up offenses, Saban received valuable knowledge from one of the best commanders of a quick-tempo operation.

“Since they’re a no-huddle team, we had a lot of questions for them, in terms of what gives them problems and what defensive teams do that give them problems,” Saban said. “That was a mutual benefit. I know it was a benefit to us. I hope it was a benefit to them as well.”

The meeting made sense, considering Manning’s ties to Saban.

“Peyton Manning has been a friend and very well respected for a long time, ever since I coached in the league,” Saban said. “We played them when he was at Indianapolis and I was in Miami. His dad [Archie] has been a really good friend of mine for a long, long, long time.”

Gase worked as an assistant under Saban at Michigan State and LSU.

Manning visiting Alabama and offering advice may stir up his fans in Knoxville, where he played for the Tennessee Volunteers. But clearly, the soon-to-be Hall of Fame quarterback is all about improving — even as a 38 year old who is in his 17th season in the NFL.

“To be honest with you,” Saban said, “[Manning] was just trying to learn so he could be a better player.”

Not uncommon for this kind of thing...except that Manning and his coach might have broken some obscure NFL rule....but the violation doesn't involve Saban other than his prominent name.

As for the Vols....they have much more to worry about than what Peyton does since he left UT a couple decades ago.

JMO but this article is all about generating clicks on an article that most people would otherwise pay no attention to....but the writer managed to tie a couple football rock stars together ....and then make it sound mysterious. Modern "journalism" at it's best.....or worst.

I think I would rather talk to a linebacker that had a lot of success in stopping a HUNH.

Saban's problem may be HUNH, but his bigger problem is that Auburn offense can change play to play.

What rule would this have violated?

It was an NFL rule not an NCAA rule. Something about when players and coaches are allowed to inter-act during off season. The "rule violation" has nothing to do with Saban.

Talk about ego......Saban thinks he can teach Manning something about football. I guess Manning just had a second.

Saban is grasping at straws! He is obviously very worried about Gus, lol. It's pretty clever though trying to pick a great offensive mind like Peyton. Bottom line is he is scared!!

Saban is grasping at straws! He is obviously very worried about Gus, lol. It's pretty clever though trying to pick a great offensive mind like Peyton. Bottom line is he is scared!!

"Scared"...I doubt that but worried perhaps and also recognizes that he needs some answers to the HUNH and frankly there are not that many people who have much success stopping it. And on the other hand, perhaps Kiffin is not the final answer to the bama offense. If were a coach and had access to a guy like Peyton, I would sure take it.

Coaches visit around all the time and it surprises me that coaches of teams that play each other also swap ideas or hold clinics on their offenses or defenses. JMO but there are very few real secrets in college or professional football. Success is about the players..... and calling the right play at the right time....and execution. ....and not so much about which offense or defense a team runs.

Where I'm from, if u go buy a coaches book, sneak in the back door of a meeting to try to convince them to change the rules for your benefit,schedule several cream puff teams that run a similar offense to practice against during the season, and call a visit from one of the brightest offensive minds in college and pro football history to pick his brain on what he does when attacking defenses, u are scared!!

Where I'm from, if u go buy a coaches book, sneak in the back door of a meeting to try to convince them to change the rules for your benefit,schedule several cream puff teams that run a similar offense to practice against during the season, and call a visit from one of the brightest offensive minds in college and pro football history to pick his brain on what he does when attacking defenses, u are scared!!

If reading between the lines means anything, you are absolutely right. SCARED has many manifestations! And one element, when close to retirement is this....for what "legacy" do you live, and have you already crested the mountain when you could have gone out with a bang? Only time can tell...

:jossun: :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: :jossun:

Why was my title edited? Who edited i? Yes Manning and Saban's buddy are in hot water with the NFL and yes they talked about stopping HUNH... http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/04/18/manning-visit-with-saban-might-have-run-afoul-nfl-rules-because-gase-was-there/

FOOTBALL

Manning's visit with Saban might have run afoul of NFL rules because Gase was there, too

Published April 18, 2014

Associated Press

Facebook0 Twitter0 Gplus0

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Peyton Manning's never-ending quest to hone his game and Nick Saban's desire to decipher fast-paced offenses led to a recent meeting that the Crimson Tide coach called mutually beneficial.

It also might have violated NFL rules because, according to Saban, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase also was in attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

The league doesn't allow players and their coaches to meet before the start of offseason workouts, which for the Broncos begin Monday. On-field instruction won't start until mid-May.

The Associated Press left messages with the team and the NFL on Friday seeking comment.

Gase, one of the rising young stars in the NFL coaching ranks, and Saban go way back. Gase worked under Saban at Michigan State in the late 1990s and followed him to LSU as a graduate assistant in 2000.

Saban also has known Manning for a long time and is friends with his father, Archie.

Saban said after Thursday's practice that Manning and Gase were "making some visits" and stopped by Tuscaloosa, Ala., a couple of weeks ago.

"To be honest with you, he was just trying to learn so he could be a better player," Saban said of the five-time MVP who led the Broncos to the Super Bowl, where they were soundly beaten by Seattle.

With Gase calling the shots, Manning set NFL records by throwing for 55 touchdowns and 5,447 yards in 2013 as the Broncos became the first team in league history to score more than 600 points in a season.

Saban picked their brains about the no-huddle, something Alabama has had trouble with, and Manning picked up pointers from one of the brightest minds in coaching.

"Since they're a no-huddle team, we had a lot of questions for them, in terms of what gives them problems and what defensive teams do that gives them problems," Saban said. "That was kind of a mutual, hopefully beneficial — I know it was a benefit to us. I hope it was a benefit to them, as well."

The Broncos gather Monday for what's called Phase One of the voluntary offseason workout program. During the first two weeks of the offseason program, activities are limited to strength and conditioning and rehabilitation before any on-field work and instruction are allowed.

Before giving the keynote address at the Boy Scouts of America Sports Breakfast in Denver on Wednesday, Manning said he's going to use Denver's 43-8 loss to the Seahawks in the Super Bowl as motivation for the upcoming season: "We have to try to find a way to build off that, and try to take it a step farther, try to finish," he suggested.

___

AP Sports Writer John Zenor contributed.

I would have thought that if Saban wanted to pick somebody's brains to help him figure out the HUNH, it would have been a defensive coach. I wonder if he's contacted Belicek (might be mispelled)? Either way, I agree with previous posters, this man is a bit worried. His attempt to get the NCAA to change the rules failed miserably, so now he's on to Plan B.

And, speaking of Saban scheduling powderpuffs, I read an article online from the Alexander City newspaper that he actually tried to schedule Old Dominion and offered them one million to play. Old Dominion has had a football team for all of 5 years now. The HC at OD turned Saban down. And still, he's considered one of the great coaches of all time. Hell, when you constantly play teams like Georgia State and UT-Chattanooga, you're going to have a nice winning record.

"Scared"...I doubt that but worried perhaps and also recognizes that he needs some answers to the HUNH and frankly there are not that many people who have much success stopping it. And on the other hand, perhaps Kiffin is not the final answer to the bama offense. If were a coach and had access to a guy like Peyton, I would sure take it.

Coaches visit around all the time and it surprises me that coaches of teams that play each other also swap ideas or hold clinics on their offenses or defenses. JMO but there are very few real secrets in college or professional football. Success is about the players..... and calling the right play at the right time....and execution. ....and not so much about which offense or defense a team runs.

That is Saban's philosophy, yet he keeps losing to HUNH teams. Grasping at straws, indeed.

That is Saban's philosophy, yet he keeps losing to HUNH teams. Grasping at straws, indeed.

Just an observation but NS hasn't lost to very many HUNH teams over the years. Of course there are not that many out there...yet...so seems that maybe it's Gus that is giving him some sleepless nights.

Just an observation but NS hasn't lost to very many HUNH teams over the years. Of course there are not that many out there...yet...so seems that maybe it's Gus that is giving him some sleepless nights.

Bama had played 3 good HUNH teams in the last 2 years, and lost all 3.

not to get into a debate but they split with TAMU and lost to AU.....but beat OM among others.. If it takes a "good" HUNH team to beat them, that would seem to indicate that HUNH is no magic bullet. Just sayin.....that the offensive concept is no assurance of anything......if you don't have the horses....and the coach..... you are probably not going to beat bama....or AU.

Kiffin might better watch his back. Last time Saban called in an " offensive guru" the OC was ran out of town right after.Then throw in Kiffin's debut Today....hope he did not sign a lease in Tuscaloosa yet.

not to get into a debate but they split with TAMU and lost to AU.....but beat OM among others.. If it takes a "good" HUNH team to beat them, that would seem to indicate that HUNH is no magic bullet. Just sayin.....that the offensive concept is no assurance of anything......if you don't have the horses....and the coach..... you are probably not going to beat bama....or AU.

Lost to Oklahoma as well.

Lost to Oklahoma as well.

"Oh, what a night! Late December...into Janu-erry...got too cocky for the likes of me...saw them winless, what a night!"

Saban starting up the lie machine yet again. He would lie to his mother about how old he is...

Saban: "I never met with Adam," he said. "When I talked with him I talked about his family."

Wonder how he talked to him about family if he never met with him...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nick-saban-met/story?id=23390497

Phone.

Strangely, this makes sense.

No college HUNH coach is going to sit down with Saban to discuss their weaknesses, but an NFL offensive coach who runs some HUNH schemes might talk with a college coach about their defensive concerns.

Regardless, unlike relationships like Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn and similar friendships, I do not think Saban has any friends among NCAA Division I FBS head coaches. Hence, he had to rent a buddy with Lame Kiffen in December 2013 to have someone outside of his staff to talk shop with.

Part of me says Saban has an unhealthy obsession with the HUNH, but part of me says he is crazy like a fox leveraging his NFL relationships to discuss defending the HUNH.

Defending the HUNH in concept is relatively simple: Control the clock when you have the ball, and make them go 3 and out with your defense. However, in practice, that can be harder. The HUNH gains strength with each first down, and gains strength in the latter part of the first half and in the fourth quarter.

Archived