Baseball vs South Carolina - game 3

Game on CSS today.

Carolina got to our starter immediately and scored 2 runs in the first inning.

AU at bat...needing to get a run or two back

Thompson gets a much needed hit to tie the game at 3....and USC pitcher is done.

And another strikeout ends another AU threat. AU has to be one of the top teams in the country in men left on base.

Story of the weekend/season...Starters give you what you need to win, bullpen blows it late, and the team leaves a small army in scoring position in the closing frames

Story of the weekend/season...Starters give you what you need to win, bullpen blows it late, and the team leaves a small army in scoring position in the closing frames

Technically....the AU starter got in trouble today right out of the gate. But the bullpen is weak, no doubt. The real problem is the players left on base. AU could still win these games with the bullpen we have if the batters could get some RBI's. The same kids get on base game after game....and then it just dies.

What's the opposite of clutch?

Choke, and it's a mental thing. That may be one of the things Coach is trying to fight with his "tough love" way of doing things.

I cannot find the score of this game anywhere. It sounds like we lost?

Correct.

4-3 South Carolina. Auburn falls to 22-19 and 7-11 in conference.

South Carolina is a very good baseball team, no doubt, but they came in scuffling having lost four in a row. I suppose there is some solace in the fact that we were tied or had leads as late as the eighth inning in all three games. One man's solace is another man's nausea.

Team BA is pretty good but the team hitting is carried by three or four guys and the rest are only good for sacrifice bunts, etc. and we can't seem to swap enough outs for bases to get many people to cross home plate.

Even with the questionable bull pen, the pitching has been more than good enough for AU to have another 6 or 8 wins IMO.

Choke, and it's a mental thing. That may be one of the things Coach is trying to fight with his "tough love" way of doing things.

"Suck" came to mind. I hate it and never want to associate any AU team in any sport with "choke" or "suck". But the past few weeks have left me with...."choke" and "suck". Come on Auburn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot find the score of this game anywhere. It sounds like we lost?

Correct.

4-3 South Carolina. Auburn falls to 22-19 and 7-11 in conference.

South Carolina is a very good baseball team, no doubt, but they came in scuffling having lost four in a row. I suppose there is some solace in the fact that we were tied or had leads as late as the eighth inning in all three games. One man's solace is another man's nausea.

It can be both knowing we haven't beaten the Gamecocks in a series since 1997. If you had told me we would have a shot at sweeping them before the weekend started I would have had you admitted. :)

Tough love is fine. He just needs to keep those kinds of frustrations out of his interviews. I really hate it when a coach goes public with that kind of stuff. It shows a real lack of class, and it doesn't help in any way. It also could hurt recruiting. He seems to want to protect his own image more than anything.

I am just not a fan of CSG's methods or his personality at this point.

Tough love is fine. He just needs to keep those kinds of frustrations out of his interviews. I really hate it when a coach goes public with that kind of stuff. It shows a real lack of class, and it doesn't help in any way. It also could hurt recruiting. He seems to want to protect his own image more than anything.

I am just not a fan of CSG's methods or his personality at this point.

I don't agree with some of his public statements either, but we have to give the guy a chance. I gave Palwoski and Barbee three full years and Nell Fortner four before I started to raise hell about firing those three. I'll give Golloway at least three years as well.

CSG lost me a while back. Even if he gets AU to Omaha I won't like him or his way of doing things. This latest PR blunder just adds to it. After all that AU has been put through in the media the last thing that's needed is a coach who can't be publicly loyal to his team or his EMPLOYER. I don't feel that I owe him anything at this point.

Archived