Auburn shelled out 3.13 million

auburn4ever

For the BCS. How can the university make $ if we spend like crazy. I recall reading that in Jan of 2011, we lost more $ then what earned for playing Oregon in the BCS out in Arizona. Sorry if this is posted under the wrong subject. It's just that I read how much we spent and that's why I wanted to your opinion about this.

Easy to make it up. Just off tickets for the Spring game, ticket sales would be: $ 350,000.00

Add refreshments (Drink plus one edible item): 70K times $ 8.00 = 560,000.00 - 100,000.00 cost= $ 460,000.00

Merchandise is probably around 10.00 each minimum. Let's say 1/3 bought 10.00 item=210,000.00 -$ 100,000.00 cost= 110,000.00

Total = $ 920,000.00 off one event. Sure that is a very conservative number.

Please explain. That number is net of Auburn's participation costs plus Auburn's income from being in the game from increased sales on things like paraphernalia etc or what? Or is that just what Auburn forked out without reference to the financial benefits to the University from the game, short and long term?

Easy to make it up. Just off tickets for the Spring game, ticket sales would be: 3.5 million.

Add refreshments and I am sure it is probably: 4 million miimum.

That alone (not counting merchandise) is 7.5 million.

70,000 tickets @ $5 each is $350,000

Easy to make it up. Just off tickets for the Spring game, ticket sales would be: 3.5 million.

Add refreshments and I am sure it is probably: 4 million miimum.

That alone (not counting merchandise) is 7.5 million.

70,000 tickets @ $5 each is $350,000

:blink:

You mean, you can't just add a zero on to the end? Wish you'd told me before April 15!

We get $2M from the NCAA for going to the championship, so the delta to make up is just over $1M. A-Day likely brought in upwards of $750k when it's all said and done. So the athletic dept has to fund the difference, +/- $500k.

We get $2M from the NCAA for going to the championship, so the delta to make up is just over $1M. A-Day likely brought in upwards of $750k when it's all said and done. So the athletic dept has to fund the difference, +/- $500k.

Just delete a zero or two and the 'k'.

The BCSNC is (was) a big deal. You have to spend a lot to get hundreds of players, support staff, band, cheerleaders, etc. to the game. You have to spend a lot to essentially set up a training camp on site.

It does appear we spent a little less this time on charter airplanes. For the 2010 season, we chartered a Delta 747 for the team. Oregon chartered two Delta A330s. This time, the team was on a chartered Delta 767 and the band and cheerleaders were on a chartered Atlas 747.

Certainly if we make it to the CFB Playoff this year, there could be two trips, which will cost even more. But with the championship game in Dallas, costs to Dallas will be less than Pasadena.

I know i'll regret commenting on an auburn4ever thread, but in over all profits and costs, we made a boat ton of profit by going to the game over what we spent. Consider we automatically get 1/10th of the bowl pay out, there's $2.01M right there. We also get a piece of the overall bowl pool, which roughly without looking up numbers is probably 1/14th of 40 million dollars. (18 for each bcs game, around a million for each other bowl game and minus the SEC cut). Factor in the massive amounts of jersey's, hats, shirts, and other memorabilia sold and you're looking at 1-2 million dollars profit right there. Factor in increased donation revenues because now more people want to be able to buy tickets to see a successful team. Factor in increased student applications, as kids want to go to a school with a winning atmosphere and national recognition (not to mention the good times to be had from partying post wins), but on that note it's up to Auburn to increase students accepted which they seem to be comfortable right now taking around 6500 freshman a year.

It is the proverbial you have to spend money to make money. Return on investment. Commitment to a successful and grounded football team, will bring in not only athletic dollars that will help support other teams, but provide more financial support to the school in general in terms of scholarship funds, endowment funds, research funds. The appearance in that game is well worth it, speaking even strictly monetarily.

For the BCS. How can the university make $ if we spend like crazy. I recall reading that in Jan of 2011, we lost more $ then what earned for playing Oregon in the BCS out in Arizona. Sorry if this is posted under the wrong subject. It's just that I read how much we spent and that's why I wanted to your opinion about this.

I guess you don't realize the AU AD has one of the highest revenues in the country.

Saw elsewhere that our expenses were pretty much in line for other teams at recent BCS championships. Does not mean that I did not blanch at the amount but it's obviously a big celebration and reward for the entire athletic department and university if you consider how many people made the trip ...players, band, donors, staff, etc. etc.

No attempt was made in the article (it was in al.com after all) to capture all revenue/financial benefits that accrued from AU's participation. That's kinda like saying that OMG, BMW spend $30 billion to built cars last year...without mentioning that they also had revenue from those cars. JMO but this is just an attempt to rally commentary and no real attempt was made to shed light on what a huge business the Auburn Athletic Department is.

It's been known for years that most teams lose money playing in bowl games....and I wonder what the financial impact on AU during a season when we play for the SEC championship in Atlanta, then play a first round playoff somewhere out west...and then the NCAA championship game. Most people will say....that's a good problem to have but it's still an issue IMO. Notice the huge financial affect the unsold tickets had on cost ...and what's the cost going to be if AU were to have 5000 unsold tickets for a first round game out in California again this season?

I'm just wondering how many AU people can afford the full cost (travel, hotels, etc) to attend three over-priced football games in a little over a month?

This kind of situation reminds me what I tell people at work in situations like this....

There was an IBM commercial a few years ago where the business manager is stressed saying, we need to buy more furniture, hire more people, we need to make more product, etc... The owner of the company is calmly looking over and smiles, says to the business manager "Isn't that what we're supposed to do?"

Kind of puts it in perspective. If we dropped 3 mil, even if we got $0 for the payout, that is the best $3 million worth of marketing you can get...

My only regret is that I couldn't make it to A Day... Please Auburn, do not schedule A Day over Easter weekend again!!! :)

This isn't the government. I guarantee you that the Auburn Athletic Department isn't short on funds.

When you go to the NC it cost you to play. You reap the benefits for years in exposure, better recruits, more students, etc. Not to mention that the turds don't get to add to their mythical championship number.

Price of doing buisness ~ and college football is BIG buisness these days, look no further than the coaching salaries.

Florida State reported expenses of $2,820,613 -- nearly half of which came from transportation costs -- which exceeded the revenue generated from its BCS appearance by a total of $481,213.

read more...

Interesting that the article headline states FSU lost money "up front" on the title game. They know the value of playing in and winning the game is much greater than the check they got for appearing in it.

Archived