Future A-Day Idea

Weegle777

Got to thinking about how A-Day could be improved and thought about this:

Why not have the fair in town or some kind of carnival for the kids, and close off the streets in Auburn and have several stages set up with bands and food and merchandise vendors lining the streets for a huge city stages type festival? Festival could start after the A-Day game. Don't the frat houses have parties with bands that night anyway? Would make Auburn a lot of revenue.

I think it would be really beneficial for the businesses around town, also the hotels would profit. Not to mention the recruiting advantage.

"Hey (insert blue chip athlete) , come to our A-Day, (insert popular musician) will be here."

It would be the place to be for recruits.

You could probably put it out near the pavillion (the red barn) where people park their rv's for games. Lots of room out that way for a big venue to go on.

It would work and get lots of good attention for the game, school, and city. Just don't schedule it on Easter weekend.

I think it would be really beneficial for the businesses around town, also the hotels would profit. Not to mention the recruiting advantage.

"Hey (insert blue chip athlete) , come to our A-Day, (insert popular musician) will be here."

It would be the place to be for recruits.

Really, this was all just planning. There is a concert on Thursday featuring B.O.B., The Neighbors, and the Avett Brothers. I know that they were kind of working around the artist's schedules, but if they could have had that this weekend, I have no doubt it would have been packed out.

Why not have the fair in town or some kind of carnival for the kids, and close off the streets in Auburn and have several stages set up with bands and food and merchandise vendors lining the streets for a huge city stages type festival? Festival could start after the A-Day game. Don't the frat houses have parties with bands that night anyway? Would make Auburn a lot of revenue.

I like a lot! That would be AUsome for the kids :hellyeah:

The Auburn Vet School used to hold their open house the same day as A-Day. They have all kinds of stuff to do for the kids for their open house. We would go to that in the morning, tailgate/picnic on the vet school grounds, then go to the game. it was a complete fun filled day.

Now the Vet School holds their open house on a separate weekend.

Don't they do the 280 Boogie the same weekend as the A-Day game? If so, you would have 2 musical events competing with each other on the same weekend. I'm not saying it's not a feasible idea but it might be difficult to arrange and for it to succeed.

Could be a really fun idea. I don't know that it'd be worth while to spend big money to get a big name band/musician there though. There was a great band playing last year though. A fair/carnival would be a great addition too.

Back when I was in school, there were a large number of events surrounding A-Day. There was always a nationally known jazz band, among other things.

What I propose is this. We get a team like Notre Dame,Ohio State, USC, etc that would garner interest. We play a home/home for spring and fall a day game. We charge the 5$ entrance fee. We don't count the game as a win or loss, and we can still have the coaches on the field and play the backups etc. this way we still see a football game against live competition , we see what the players can do without increased threat of injury and see where deficiencies lie .

I'm all for this! Let us know if you hear anything back from Jay Jacobs.

What I propose is this. We get a team like Notre Dame,Ohio State, USC, etc that would garner interest. We play a home/home for spring and fall a day game. We charge the 5$ entrance fee. We don't count the game as a win or loss, and we can still have the coaches on the field and play the backups etc. this way we still see a football game against live competition , we see what the players can do without increased threat of injury and see where deficiencies lie .

Fun idea, but probably not financially feasible. What we could probably put together is a game against one of the local semi-pro teams. Of course, the fear would be that someone would get badly hurt in a game that means nothing, because it's hard for any of these guys to turn off their competitive nature when in a game situation.

Fun idea, but probably not financially feasible. What we could probably put together is a game against one of the local semi-pro teams. Of course, the fear would be that someone would get badly hurt in a game that means nothing, because it's hard for any of these guys to turn off their competitive nature when in a game situation.

+1

Not a chance. As was mentioned, it's a fun idea, and I'd rather see more of the first team vs. the first team and second team vs. the second team (which I think we will next year, as the defense starts getting caught up with the offense), but there's no way I'd want to turn A-Day into anything it isn't. My father and I both mentioned more than once how nice it was to be walking through a sea of nothing but orange and blue...that's a big deal, both to fans AND recruits.

Not a chance. As was mentioned, it's a fun idea, and I'd rather see more of the first team vs. the first team and second team vs. the second team (which I think we will next year, as the defense starts getting caught up with the offense), but there's no way I'd want to turn A-Day into anything it isn't. My father and I both mentioned more than once how nice it was to be walking through a sea of nothing but orange and blue...that's a big deal, both to fans AND recruits.

I'm thinking there would also be NCAA issues. The spring game is just one of the 15 allowed practices. I don't know anything definitive, but I'm guessing there might be additional restrictions on involving another team.

This would be fun for the fans, but I don't know that there would be that much benefit to the team.

Archived