Possible O-line Transfer

CameronCrazy

“@SECfootball: Touted Ole Miss offensive lineman looking at a possible transfer http://sds.to/1jZZc7Y”

Austin Golson is looking to transfer to be closer to his ailing grandparents back in Prattville, AL. He exited the Spring as the #1 RT for Ole Miss. Coach Freeze would not block a transfer to a SEC West Rival given the circumstances. Auburn is mentioned as a potential landing spot.

Do we touch this guy? My vote is yes!

Linked article says he played as a freshman in 2013, but no indication whether he used a RS year. He has at least 3 years of eligibility left, and sounds like he should qualify for a hardship waiver so he doesn't have to sit out a year. He would provide quality depth to our OL.

Expect this to occur. He reached out to the AU coaches. May alter our own recruiting plans. Freize (sp) said he would "probably" not block an in conference transfer...especially if going to play for a buddy rather than an "enemy".

Expect this to occur. He reached out to the AU coaches. May alter our own recruiting plans. Freize (sp) said he would "probably" not block an in conference transfer...especially if going to play for a buddy rather than an "enemy".

You can't blame a kid for transferring for a reason like that.

Also I can't help but think the enemy referred to above would have to be the turds

It's cliche but you can truly not have too many O linemen. Even understanding he'd take a scholly from maybe a less stacked position, this guy was rated as a top shelf SEC caliber lineman as a frosh. If we didn't have coaches skilled at shuffling talent around to thinner positions I'd say it's a hard call but with our current staff I say go after him hard.

Ole Miss fans are saying he was homesick. They also say he has constantly complained as to why Tunsil gets all the press and he did not get any love. Interesting. Our staff has to have their opinions on him. It will be interesting to see if they go after him. He is obviously talented. If the staff wants him, then I do too.

Have to watch for UAT on this one. Prattville is only 90 miles down highway 82 from T-Town (vs. 70 miles to Auburn). Let's hope Hugh Freeze's friendship with Gus helps make the difference.

We are stacked on the line this year, and most of the line is still young. But assuming Golson transferred, we could redshirt him for 2014 and not pursue a hardship. Then in 2015, with Dismukes and Slade gone, there could be some shuffling of the line to put the five best into starting positions.

So overall, this could be good.

Interesting....don't see starters leaving other schools very often and Ol Miss isn't that far from Prattville. Have to see how this plays out a bit more. Hard to turn down a guy who started as a freshmen regardless of what your depth looks like.

Have to watch for UAT on this one. Prattville is only 90 miles down highway 82 from T-Town (vs. 70 miles to Auburn). Let's hope Hugh Freeze's friendship with Gus helps make the difference.

We are stacked on the line this year, and most of the line is still young. But assuming Golson transferred, we could redshirt him for 2014 and not pursue a hardship. Then in 2015, with Dismukes and Slade gone, there could be some shuffling of the line to put the five best into starting positions.

So overall, this could be good.

We were in it 'till then end with AG the first go around. Considering the situation and also considering Gus' and CHF's relationship, I could very easily see a waver to Auburn with no stipulations. That other school in east Mississippi, I don't know. I don't imagine Corch Saban has garnered any favors with CHF, and that would have to count for something. If AG wants to be closer to Prattville, all things considered, odds are he winds up in Auburn if he is a take for the staff, and I imagine he would be. In any case, good luck Austin!

Young talented O-Linemen are always something you want. Even if he has to sit out a year, or doesn't start this season, he'd be an amazing addition for the future.

Also, if he is granted a hardship waiver, would the transfer be for the season, or would it occur after this season?

Can we just trade for him with Coach Freeze for a player to be named later?

Hey...they might be employees. It could work. ;)

Golson was a true freshman last season, so he will have four more years to play three, regardless. Quite honestly, if he does transfer to Auburn (which seems likely at this point), that gives AU 4 pure tackles who are legitimately NFL caliber, only one of whom is above sophomore classification, plus a top notch incoming freshman who can play tackle as well (though I think he is more likely to end up at guard). This is a very, very good thing.

Also keep in mind, it took Greg Robinson one season to jump to the top of the draft board. Avery Young is the kind of talent that could declare early, AND Shon Coleman (if he wins the job) is already 22 years old. He'll be 23 by next season's draft (older than most seniors in the draft). I'm not saying either guy should, would, or will declare early. I'm saying it's a possibility we should be prepared for if it happens. Adding Golson gives us another guy that could work at Guard or Tackle (ala, Young and Braden Smith).

We would be nuts if we did not try to get this young man on campus and in an Auburn uniform. You can never have enough OL & DL on the roster. I think if we offer, he will sign ASAP! As Bernard Montgomery said in the closed door conference on the night before D-Day in 1944. I say go!

I don't think we need him. But if he is available by all means get him on campus and award him a scholarship. Since he played his freshman year at Ole Miss he is already familiar with the HUNH (or at least a version of it) so the transition should be easier than if he was in a traditional offense.

Archived