Gasoline To The Fire?

The dateline on Phillip Marshall's article shows last Thursday, I didn't see it until today. I wasn't aware that four seniors were left at home last Tuesday night. Golloway may be considering an exorcism after this weekend...

By Phillip Marshall

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. – Sunny Golloway, Auburn’s first-year baseball coach, is frustrated. He says things should be different as Auburn heads into the second half of the Southeastern Conference schedule. And he vows change is coming.

The Tigers are 21-17 over and 6-9 in the Southeastern Conference as they await a weekend series with No. 11 South Carolina (28-9, 8-7) at Plainsman Park. They have lost seven of their last nine SEC games and three consecutive series. On Tuesday, they lost to Samford for the second time this season.

“I got away from some of the truths that have gotten me to where I am or maybe made me inviting to Auburn to hire me,” Golloway said. “I'm going to go back to those.”

Among those “truths” for Golloway are pitching his No. 1 starter on Saturday, being aggressive on the bases without running needlessly into outs, getting bunts down for squeezes or sacrifices and playing sound defense.

"Sure we dropped fly balls and the ones that are apparent to the fans and the media are there, but there are so many mistakes that aren't apparent that we're making,” Golloway said. “We're just not going to make them anymore. Those days are over. History. Starting this day forward we're not going to make them."

Golloway, who spread optimism before the season, said Tuesday he found more trouble than he expected.

“I had no idea how many things were broken when I took the job,” Golloway said. “I had no idea. I’m learning the hard way, I will tell you that. … Is the program going to change Golloway or is Golloway going to change the program? That's really where I am right now. That's the crossroads I'm at. I've done some uncharacteristic things trying to make sure the culture changes.

“Frustrated. Frustrated beyond frustration, and I'm still able to put a smile on my face and go to work every day because I'm blessed to be a baseball coach at a great university. But I'm frustrated. I'm not going to let the program change me. I'm going to change the program.”

With those thoughts in mind, Golloway will return freshman Keegan Thompson (5-2, 1.72 ERA) to a starting role on Saturday. Thompson pitched in relief last weekend at Alabama, getting a save in Friday’s 2-1 Auburn victory and taking the loss in Alabama’s 5-4 win in 10 innings Sunday. Dillon Ortman will get the start Friday and Trey Wingenter on Sunday.

Golloway also will return to the third-base coaching box and says he shouldn’t have ever left.

“At Alabama we had the bases loaded, we scored three runs on Sunday and we get thrown out at the base twice, in the same inning,” Golloway said. “We score three runs, we were thrown out at the plate and one time we were thrown out with no outs, and we're thrown out by 10 or 15 feet. We're rounding third and I'm yelling, 'No, no, no.' When he was right there halfway, he was out.”

Golloway started seven freshmen against Alabama on Sunday. Four seniors didn’t make the trip to Samford for unspecified violations of “team policy.” All will be available Friday, Golloway said.

“It's a minor thing,” Golloway said. “It's a violation of team policy with guys. I'm trying to change the culture around here, and if you're going to play baseball at Auburn you're going to recognize you're a student-athlete and the word student comes before athlete. Most of these guys are not going to make a living in major league baseball. They need to get their degree, and I'm going to make sure that I emphasize the right things as their coach.”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to pump sunshine but IMHO he has this team doing very, very well considering his goal of making and enforcing what are apparently - to the players - sweeping attitude ("culture") changes to all, including upper classmen, during the first season. And he's doing it with a team that's probably not in the top half of the SEC in talent or depth. I'm worried about his public comments like he didn't know what he was getting into when he took this job though.

Rational impatience is a good thing in coaching though, yes?

Consider this....when was the last time Auburn had a legit shot at sweeping Carolina in baseball? We haven't beaten them in a series since 1997! As much as it pains me (being from the Palmetto State) to lose I witnessed some encouraging signs from this team over the weekend.

This was a South Carolina team that was very seasoned. They've been to multiple regionals, super regionals, and have been to Omaha so many times in the past few years. There's almost this swagger and confidence with those kind of teams when they do that. We do not have that yet but I am confident we will get there. I saw some encouraging signs this weekend. Granted I am not saying this team is good and should be given credit. They had a prime opportunity to score runs and win games and they couldn't do it. When you have the bases loaded with 0 outs and you don't score a run, that's bad, that's really bad. But I did see a few clutch hits on Sunday even though we did not get as many as we needed for a win. Both Keegan Thompson and Damon Haecker had solid RBI singles to left to score runs when we were down by a run and had a runner in scoring position. The day before, we were able to get 2 runs out of an inning that we had men on by a squeeze bunt and a hit. We didn't well the first game except for the first inning but we had guys get on base that inning. Although we had a very clutch hit by a senior to really set the tone for that first game, it was still a clutch hit for this team. So, we're getting there is my point. I think all it will take is one clutch performance by this team on their way to winning a ball game in which they had to have some late inning magic. They're talented, but they just don't have that "it factor" right yet. They need some confidence and some swagger. This team is not out of post-season play by any means, but they're going to need to get hot and win some series matchups.

Not to pump sunshine but IMHO he has this team doing very, very well considering his goal of making and enforcing what are apparently - to the players - sweeping attitude ("culture") changes to all, including upper classmen, during the first season. And he's doing it with a team that's probably not in the top half of the SEC in talent or depth. I'm worried about his public comments like he didn't know what he was getting into when he took this job though.

Rational impatience is a good thing in coaching though, yes?

He was left with little to work with. I don't think this team is in the top 12 of the 14 team league in talent or depth.

I hate his public comments...and I see it as a classless, face-saving effort on his part at Auburn's expense. He should just shut up about some things. It may all be true but the world does not need to hear that from him. It sure won't help him recruit in the SEC if he keeps leaving that image of AU out there.

I'm not impressed with his personality or his methods. He makes me uneasy.

I hate his public comments...and I see it as a classless, face-saving effort on his part at Auburn's expense. He should just shut up about some things. It may all be true but the world does not need to hear that from him. It sure won't help him recruit in the SEC if he keeps leaving that image of AU out there.

^^^

Yeah, laying that off on whoever was in the 3rd base coaching box is beyond lame. Any high school coach can do very well there, it's the players that have to be educated and the news media is not the place to educate them.

Golloway's constant running off at the mouth reminds me of a great scene in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket." A new guy comes into the platoon, bragging about how great and wonderful he is. Finally, a veteran walks up to him, stares a hole in him and says "I see you can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk."

Golloway, if you are reading this, how about shutting your freaking mouth and do your job! If you were a good as you say you are, you would be walking the walk...and you are not.

If you don't like it here, get the ^&*$ out and go somewhere else. I am so sick of whiney azz folks like him I could scream. If I was JJ I would tell Golloway to do his job or haul azz.

At this point unless Golloway has an epiphany, this will be his last year at Auburn. Personally, I have seen enough that suggests to me that something is wrong with the guy..

Golloway's constant running off at the mouth reminds me of a great scene in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket." A new guy comes into the platoon, bragging about how great and wonderful he is. Finally, a veteran walks up to him, stares a hole in him and says "I see you can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk."

Golloway, if you are reading this, how about shutting your freaking mouth and do your job! If you were a good as you say you are, you would be walking the walk...and you are not.

If you don't like it here, get the ^&*$ out and go somewhere else. I am so sick of whiney azz folks like him I could scream. If I was JJ I would tell Golloway to do his job or haul azz.

At this point unless Golloway has an epiphany, this will be his last year at Auburn. Personally, I have seen enough that suggests to me that something is wrong with the guy..

Mostly (based on some things I witnessed personally) he just doesn't know when to shut up.....he's friendly and talkative and with the media, he eventually says enough to get himself in trouble.

But, I think he might be getting the message....heard a couple interviews during the two USCe games that were televised this past weekend and he complimented several of his players and talked the positive aspects of the team. This may have been an aberration so will see what happens going forward....but a glimmer of optimism for me.

Unless it's by his choice, I highly doubt it. He hasn't even had a full recruiting class yet. It is extremely reactionary to be calling for him to be fired already.

Unless it's by his choice, I highly doubt it. He hasn't even had a full recruiting class yet. It is extremely reactionary to be calling for him to be fired already.

Please show me where I said he would be fired. I think he may well leave on his own.

Please show me where I said he would be fired. I think he may well leave on his own.

Unless you have no idea what the word "epiphany" means, you strongly implied he would be fired.

Were you born belligerant or did you become that way as you tried to grow up?

Geeze, man, go take a chill pill.

Apparently you don't know what "belligerent" means either.

This is a message board. You say dumb stuff, you're gonna get called on it. I'm being civil about it, but I don't have to ignore it.

I can't say the same thing but my military background sees this differently. I'd rather someone be up front and all out about things than to try and paint a false picture of a situation. But I do see your point.

Hey - at least it isn't the "Coach Speak" we all complained about. I hate it we dont already own the SEC in baseball but not everyone can be Gus Malzahn and win championships in the first year of turning around a wreck. CSG may have the hardest job at AU right now - Pearl only has to find 2 or 3 guys to make them competitive - softball wasnt all that bad to begin with - Gus had the cabinets loaded with many guys he recruited. Ill give him a chance to prove his worth before questioning his methods. The Oklahoma people liked his results but had questions about how he would talk to/about the team.

I can't say the same thing but my military background sees this differently. I'd rather someone be up front and all out about things than to try and paint a false picture of a situation. But I do see your point.

I have no problem with actual honesty. However....he does not have to share all that with the media no matter what is going on. That might not be the real situation...it's just his perception. No doubt there's another side to that story. It makes him look petulant, and it does nothing for the team or Auburn. I worry about how he will be perceived by recruits.

He better figure it out fast....this is not the Big 12.

I personally don't like his style AT ALL. You should always handle your problems in-house and never call out a player in public, especially in the FIRST YEAR. This man is acting like his job is on the line and he's throwing out every excuse in order to keep it. If I was a player, then I personally would not be "buying in" if I had a coach calling me out to the media. I have much more respect for how Gus Malzahn has changed the culture with our football team than I do for Golloway with our baseball team. Just my 2 cents.

I still hope he turns the season around starting tonight and this team starts clicking. War Eagle!

Golloway, if you are reading this, how about shutting your freaking mouth and do your job!

If you don't like it here, get the ^&*$ out and go somewhere else.

Are you serious?

I have no problem with actual honesty. However....he does not have to share all that with the media no matter what is going on. That might not be the real situation...it's just his perception. No doubt there's another side to that story. It makes him look petulant, and it does nothing for the team or Auburn. I worry about how he will be perceived by recruits.

He better figure it out fast....this is not the Big 12.

I'll agree to disagree. I know what went on with this team the last couple of years and they needed a real wake up call. I like the guy and I'll give him the benefit if the doubt in the short term.

Archived