Where Do You Buy Your Ammo?

Mike4AU

I bought my first handgun Friday. Beretta PX4 Storm, 9mm. Also bought some plinking rounds from Academy. Where is the best place to buy ammo, including online sites? Looking for some JHP self defense rounds.

Thanks

Mike

Congrats on the new Beretta, Mike.

I always buy by the case, usually multiples thereof to consolidate shipping costs, and these guys are pretty good:

http://www.sgammo.com/

Their 9mm stuff:

http://www.sgammo.co...nition/9mm-9x19

My personal favorite JHPs are, in no particular order:

Speer Gold Dots

Federal HST/Personal Defense

Winchester Rangers

Remington Golden Sabers

Corbon DPX

Hornady Critical Defense/Duty

I prefer bonded ammo for a carry round.

Using FMJs to break in your weapon and for familiarization is fine, but I highly recommend running a box (50 minimum) of JHPs through your weapon and magazines to ensure they feed properly. I will not carry a gun that doesn't have at least 500 rounds through it.

Good luck.

As far as corporate stores, Academy has decent prices. Much cheaper than Gander Mountain here in Auburn/Opelika. But I second stoic's proposition of feeding it everything. Take it down, clean it up, and get to the range!

i don't get too deep into what type of rounds or anything like that. if i shoot someone with any 9mm round i suspect it is enough. walmart has federal 14.99 a 50 round box.

I would rethink that philosophy, modern ballistics has greatly improved the effectiveness of the 9mm round.

FMJ 9mm may have killed more people than most any other caliber in the world, but it is still inferior to the newer well designed HPs.

Ask any soldier or Marine what they think about their M9 9mm using ball ammo...

I use the Federal HST+p for carry/defense use. It's JHP and that's the only way to go, IMO. You can usually find good prices online at luckygunner.com. It's located in Tennessee so shipping cost isn't too bad. If buying online buy several boxes as the shipping cost goes down per box.

http://ammoseek.com/ lists a large number of sellers and prices and is an interesting site. Also, gunbroker.com has an ammo section, mostly auctions similar to ebay that can sometimes have a good buy.

Just remember to factor in shipping costs, it can be the difference between a good deal and not so hot.

I always buy by the case, usually multiples thereof to consolidate shipping costs, and these guys are pretty good:

Hold on a minute! This just now sunk in. I guess I know which Admin to NOT piss off!

Hold on a minute! This just now sunk in. I guess I know which Admin to NOT piss off!

I shoot a fair amount so I do bulk buys 2 or 3 times a year, 2 or 3 cases each time, mixed calibers.

5.56, 12ga, .38, 9mm, 357SIG(personal favorite), .40S&W, .45ACP, 44mag, I consider a low inventory to be less than 2k for handgun and rifle calibers.

Not to worry, I'm mild mannered enough. ;)

I'm glad to hear the "mild mannered' statement.

My arsenal, aside from various .22's, is .45 APC, .270 Win and a couple of shotguns. I inherited a Beretta .25 cal tilt-up. It's a funky little gun but I can't decide what it's use might be. That thing would only make an attacker mad, I'm thinkin'.

I don't shoot nearly as frequestly as you apparently do.

Hey Stoic,

I sincerely apologize if I have EVER offended you.

Well if it was that big of a deal, an after the fact apology probably wouldn't be necessary. :poke:

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Stoic. Typically better prices buying bulk depending on your threshold for fiscal pain on an "upfront" purchase. Ammoman.com and Palmetto state armory have both been pretty good suppliers for me.

A small piece of advice from an old solder - shoot what ever you can find, just shoot! Develop muscle memory, learn all of your pistols quirks, shoot lots through every magazine and practice every chance you get. Certainly you will want to "dial in" your pistol with your preferred round. But,it may not always be available. Practice shooting everything. If you really "get bit by the bug" I would recommend looking into reloading. The you may keep other flammables stored round the house as well.

Archived