Note on Auburn WR's (A-Day)

StatTiger

One of the primary goals during spring practice was improving Auburn's pass-offense, especially when it comes to attacking vertically. Sammie Coates proved to be a dangerous weapon last season but Auburn coaches expect for others to step up this season to complete the wide-receiver corp.

Top-5 receivers from A-Day:

Melvin Ray: 6-91-0

"Duke" Williams: 5-88-1

Quan Bray: 3-89-2

Tony Stevens: 3-64-2

Sammie Coates: 2-29-1

Taking the top-5 WR performances from A-Day, Auburn's top receivers caught 19 passes for 361-yards and 6 TD's. The top-5 receivers averaged 19.0 yards per reception compared to the 14.1 average during the 2013 season.

The top-5 receivers generated 10 plays of 15-yards or more for a ratio of 1 for every 1.9 receptions made. Last season Auburn's WR's averaged an impact play every 3.1 receptions.

The top-5 receivers averaged a TD every 3.2 receptions compared to the 2013 ratio of 1 every 9.1 receptions.

A-DayDukeTD_zpsed51019b.jpg

JUCO transfer D'haquille Williams lived up to the hype, catching 5 passes for 88-yards. He caught 1 TD pass, which is broken down in the above clipbit. Facing a 1st & goal from the 3-yard line, Nick Marshall will throw a fade-route to the corner of the end zone. Duke Williams utilizes his physical attributes to create separation between himself and the CB covering 1 on 1.

Williams goes vertical to snag the football at it's highest point. He turns his upper body to shield the ball, while securing it with both hands. Needing only 1 foot down to complete the reception, Williams manages to get both feet in bounds. Coach Rhett Lashlee has stressed to his quarterbacks for them to allow the WR's to make plays.

Auburn was 39th nationally in terms of pass-efficiency inside the red zone during the 2013 season. The above play and Sammie Coates 1-handed TD reception are the type of plays Lashlee wants from his passing game.

Yards per reception:

Auburn's WR's averaged 14.1 yards per reception, which was 17th best among Auburn receivers over the past 30 years. If you took the top-5 WR corps in terms of yards per reception, they combined for a 57-7-0 record.

Look for Auburn to make a major improvement in their vertical passing game, which will means a better impact ratio in the passing game and a better yards per reception.

That was a beautiful play. Not to be out done Sammie makes his a one handed grab. Those two will battle each other the whole season. This is going to be lovely.

I loved seeing that play. Duke saw the ball early and pressed his defender inside so he could leap away to catch the ball, creating separation without having to push off and risk the OPI call. The impression I get is that his presence has made all our receivers better. I don't know if that's because he's teaching them new things, or providing competition that causes them to up their game, or if it's CDC and CRL having a second year with them and Duke's presence is just coincidental.

I loved seeing that play. Duke saw the ball early and pressed his defender inside so he could leap away to catch the ball, creating separation without having to push off and risk the OPI call. The impression I get is that his presence has made all our receivers better. I don't know if that's because he's teaching them new things, or providing competition that causes them to up their game, or if it's CDC and CRL having a second year with them and Duke's presence is just coincidental.

Great post. I agree, in the 3rd frame of Stat's photo series, Williams already knew exactly where the ball was going to end up and how he was going to catch it.

I also agree that his presence should raise the game of the other guys. Success and failure are both contagious. We've seen both at work in the last 4 years, and now we might be back on the better side of that deal.

quote: Auburn was 39th nationally in terms of pass-efficiency inside the red zone during the 2013 season. The above play and Sammie Coates 1-handed TD reception are the type of plays Lashlee wants from his passing game.

Easy to understand why. The FSU guys beat some pretty decent coverage in the championship game to make JW look good...and from the video I saw, their big guys did that all season. I can just imagine how much our passing game will improve if the WRs learn to "take" the ball and not "receive" the ball.

I can just imagine how much our passing game will improve if the WRs learn to "take" the ball and not "receive" the ball.

This. This is what I was most excited about on the highlighted catch here - he went and grabbed the ball with his hands, rather than letting it come to him and hit him. It was an NFL-type catch, and I hope it rubs off on the rest of the WRs!

Wow I had no Idea Melvin Ray had that many catches. Duke look like the best Wide out, bar none, Sammie had the sexiest A-day catch ever. Quan seemed to be much more of a play maker, and tony stevens is a young talent with a huge upside. It's crazy how we can go from NO receiver depth to this in only a year. Malzahn is a miracle worker

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sammie and Duke are superstars in the NFL. Defending them this year is just not going to be fair. One thing we haven't discussed is how our DBs defending them everyday in practice makes our DBs better as well. WDE!

I believe we will be MUCH improved at the WR position. Duke is the real deal not only did he have the spectacular grab in the end zone but he made a great adjustment to a ball thrown behind him on a crossing pattern. I thought Melvin Ray looked good along with Tony Stephens. Sammie Coates has gotten better every year. Add Lewis, Bray, Davis, Truitt, Uzomah and Denson and the passing game has potential for sure.......

I really hope Coates stays another year. He has Sammy Watkins potential. I think if he leaves early, he will be a 3-4 round pick. Stay and should be a 1st. It all depends on the year he has this year though.

I was disappointed in Marcus Davis. He dropped two in a row on the same play. The first was high but catchable; the second hit him in the chest. He has potential, but a WR who can't catch the ball becomes a DB.

Overall, we are in great shape. This looks like a banner year for AU's offense, both passing and running.

I believe the reason for the sudden change on the WR's is we finally have a real WR coach. CDC has done a GREAT job with those guys. He has inspired and taught the ways of the position. Not to mention he knows what to look for in a WR when he recruits. Gus has done a very good job, but CDC is the cause for the turn around. JMO ?

I really hope Coates stays another year. He has Sammy Watkins potential. I think if he leaves early, he will be a 3-4 round pick. Stay and should be a 1st. It all depends on the year he has this year though.

I could see that if he really improves his consistency and adds shorter routes to his repertoire.

I believe the reason for the sudden change on the WR's is we finally have a real WR coach. CDC has done a GREAT job with those guys. He has inspired and taught the ways of the position. Not to mention he knows what to look for in a WR when he recruits. Gus has done a very good job, but CDC is the cause for the turn around. JMO ?

I'm definitely willing to attribute a general improvement in the skills of the WRs have to their position coach, but I wouldn't say there's been a "sudden change" just yet, outside of Williams's presence. As WarEagle84 mentioned, balls are still getting dropped more often than they should.

Also, the overall performance of the WRs is always inextricably linked to the performance of the QB. Part of the reason that our WRs didn't perform from 2011-2013 is because they didn't see balls arrive in their zip code with any regularity.

Both positions have a great opportunity this season to improve each other's lot.

Archived