Auburn promo for SEC Network

WarEagle84

Apparently, ESPN has produced 14 school-specific promos for the SEC Network. Here is Auburn's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helgcMOz9-w

I like it, but I think I would have preferred "White Christmas" for the soundtrack. Somehow, a song from "Oklahoma!" seems wrong, even if the sentiments are good.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quality of the filming is a bit lacking, but I really like the concept. It shows a quiet confidence. While the other schools have a bunch of chanting and the like, ours is a glorious celebration of victory.

Why couldn't they just use the school fight songs?

That would've worked.

Or maybe Louis Armstrong's Wonderful World... of course, music rights are a REALLY tricky thing.

That would've worked.

If they could get permission, which I seriously doubt they're willing to hassle with, or even can.

That would've worked.

If they could get permission, which I seriously doubt they're willing to hassle with, or even can.

I'm assuming the university owns the rights to the song. Why would we not give permission to use it? They had to get permission to use the song they chose. The process wouldn't be much different for a different song.

Maybe the fee to use certain songs were above what ESPN was willing to pay for the project. Who knows, I mean they did have to do one for every school, even though ESPN has money falling out of their ears.

That would've worked.

I'm assuming the university owns the rights to the song. Why would we not give permission to use it? They had to get permission to use the song they chose. The process wouldn't be much different for a different song.

Pretty sure the rights to the song belong to its composer's family, who lets Auburn use it, but doesn't let Auburn have free reign over who uses it..which is why you don't hear Auburn's fight song in video games.

That would've worked.

I could be wrong, and I'm damn sure too lazy to look it up, but this has been discussed before.

I do not believe AU owns the rights to the song.

EDIT:

Red beat me to it...

That would've worked.

The University doesn't own it. It's owned by the estate of Robert Allen, who wrote it, and anyone who uses it has to buy permission from them.

Some music is easy to get permission to use, others, not so much. The owner can demand whatever terms they want to demand.

Own it or not...a song from Oklahoma.....is that the best we could come up with?

But they probably had to make a video that did not offend any other SEC team, otherwise they could have shown the scoreboard the morning after the Iron Bowl with fog rising up past that 34-28 final score in an empty stadium...and played "Oh what a beautiful morning"....I would have loved that..

I guess I'm the only one who likes it. I think it's a beautiful view of a tradition that is uniquely Auburn. People hear about the rolling tradition and I think this video displays it quite nicely. I think the song perfectly ties in the spirit of rolling the trees and walking around downtown Auburn on a Sunday morning after a big win. It is a beautiful morning when happens.

What would all have liked to have seen? I like ours much more than the other videos with people just chanting.

I guess I'm the only one who likes it. I think it's a beautiful view of a tradition that is uniquely Auburn. People hear about the rolling tradition and I think this video displays it quite nicely. I think the song perfectly ties in the spirit of rolling the trees and walking around downtown Auburn on a Sunday morning after a big win. It is a beautiful morning when happens.

What would all have liked to have seen? I like ours much more than the other videos with people just chanting.

I liked ok. Maybe shots of the crowd from A-day last year with the we are family song.

Not the only one... As a designer, I can nitpick the execution, but I liked the concept. I think ours was the best. Based on some articles, it's also getting the most overall buzz.

Archived