This is set to be the golden age of Auburn football.

Think about it.

Two straight top 10 recruiting classes, and likely a top five this year.

A national championship berth and hopefully another one this year.

Top 5 expectations for the first time in a while. (2008?)

Record breaking offense the FIRST year under Malzahn.

1-0 in Iron Bowl

Alumnus are all on the Gus Bus.

Great period of time

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think about it.

1-0 in Iron Bowl

Great period of time

I like it all except that. Frankly, it gives me the creeping willies, especially after what happened that year.

3-2. Beh.

I have the same feeling. I have a really good feeling about Malzahn. Even if we take out the 3-9 seasons, going 8-5 twice with a top 10 recruiting class every year is severely underproducing. Now we have the talent and coaching to perhaps be on top for more than just a one year wonder. I'm excited

Schedule is tough this year. Kstate, ole miss, miss st, Alabama, and UGA on the road. Miss state could bring it and by the end of the year those new qb will be okay.

We will still be depending on our defense to make stops when it counts. We are going to be good but I would start calling this the golden age yet...We need a few years of success.

Think about it.

1-0 in Iron Bowl

Great period of time

I like it all except that. Frankly, it gives me the creeping willies, especially after what happened that year.

3-2. Beh.

If Malzahn goes 3-2, at least he puts up 500 yards of offense

Sorry but it's times like these that I become very cautious. However, for the past 30+ years Auburn, through some ups and downs, has been improving their status consistently. Despite the idiotic babble we hear from bamzos constantly, Auburn has earned their way to being one of the most respected and feared teams in college football year in and year out. A few bad years here and there are the abbe ration, not the rule.

Looking at it from the perspective of an old timer, I guess I'd say that Auburn has been in a golden age since Pat Dye came. For years people wanted to pretend it was just a one year phenomenon...every year. But in time the whole country had to accept that Auburn isa force to be reckoned with on a yearly basis. Auburn yields to no one and will not stay down for anyone. Yeah we often have a chip on our shoulder...and will take on anyone who thinks they can knock it off.

People are cautious because of the unknown.

With Gus, there is no unknown. In his first year, he turned it all around and got us in the national championship. That is simply amazing.

This is set to be the golden age of Auburn football. Gus is already one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Not trying to be a Debbie-downer but I believe Auburn has not had back to back 10 win seasons since the late 80's. I'm proceeding with caution.....

I'm also on the cautiously optimistic crowd. Things are truly looking good...but I remember too vividly how we felt after 2010, after going undefeated while beating five (5) top 10 teams in 2004, after Tater Tot won his first 20 games, and after we finished the 1983 regular season #3 then won the Sugar Bowl while #2 and #1 lost and the final poll placed us...#3. I'm sure fans after every one of our 11 undefeated seasons felt a rush.

It's not just how good we are, it's how good we are compared to other teams (some of whom we don't play). Our D has a LONG way to go, up the road our main rival is loaded while the NCAA sleeps, teams like FSU and (so long as Michigan is down, Ohio State) play patsy schedules and thanks to media image are guaranteed playoff entries. In short, we slip up once and we'll need miracles. Golden though? Looking good.

During the Pat Dye era we had an identity and now I think we have one that people around the country can identify, mostly because of our head coach. His vision and ability to get there last year is a great sign for us to continue and be that dominant force.

How much better can we get at playing Coach Malzahn's style of football, that is what I am looking forward to..the precision, timing, speed and uptempo, the type of recruits all the necessary ingredients to make it successful. Lot of teams can play uptempo and spread but can anyone do it better than us...

I'm also on the cautiously optimistic crowd. Things are truly looking good...but I remember too vividly how we felt after 2010, after going undefeated while beating five (5) top 10 teams in 2004, after Tater Tot won his first 20 games, and after we finished the 1983 regular season #3 then won the Sugar Bowl while #2 and #1 lost and the final poll placed us...#3. I'm sure fans after every one of our 11 undefeated seasons felt a rush.

It's not just how good we are, it's how good we are compared to other teams (some of whom we don't play). Our D has a LONG way to go, up the road our main rival is loaded while the NCAA sleeps, teams like FSU and (so long as Michigan is down, Ohio State) play patsy schedules and thanks to media image are guaranteed playoff entries. In short, we slip up once and we'll need miracles. Golden though? Looking good.

But here's the question you need to ponder before being too cautious and not enjoying the ride... in all of those seasons you listed below, after how many of them did we return a team slammed full of talent, with a seasoned O-Line and nothing but upside in almost every position? After most of those seasons, either the team had to rebuild or there was drama on the coaching front. This team isn't even really having to reload, and our coaching situation, both in quality of staff and relationship with the university, is the best it has been since I've followed Auburn football.

Why do you say our D has a "LONG way to go"? I think our defense will be much better this year. We have a lot of talent returning and coming in, plus it's the second year in CEJ's system. Up the road, our main rivals might be loaded with talent, but we have just as much talent and more experience. They are breaking in a new coordinator and new QB.

I believe this will be the golden age of Auburn football, and there are two reasons....

1. Gus

2. Malzahn

I think he's that good, and if he is truly here for the long haul I think he could go down as the greatest coach in Auburn history.

I guess the golden age of AU football for me would be the Tubbs years from 04-07. I think we won 10+ games every year during that stretch though only 2 maybe 1 SEC championships. So to me winning 10+ games consistenly warrants the golden statement but some may not feel that way since we didn't have more championships under our belt. Kind of like the golden age of braves baseball which only produced 1 world series title. If Gus can keep us at the 10+ wins per season mark i'll call this the golden age. Hopefully we can add some more SEC championships in there but you have to recognize that our division has never been as tough as it is now and we could be a top 5 team nationally and still have a couple loses in our division...yikes!

I'm pretty cautious as well just because of AUs history of being favored. I know, I know, this is different this time but after getting hit in the face a few times you can't blame a guy for flinching. I will say that even with being guarded about the future I can't recall a team and coaching staff that looks to be this set up for a run in AU history. We had a great year last year with almost the entire team coming back. We have a coach who is an offensive guru that is able to adapt his offense on a year to year basis. We have a staff that is able to recruit with any staff in the country. So there is every reason to be excited about the future of AU football. Hopefully the coaches can continue to bring in the right players and keep the players and themselves hungry for more success every year!

I tend to agree with the premise of this thread.

I think the offense will produce more big plays next season. I dare say it may be the most prolific AU offense ever. The 2013 team might have been the best to date at 501.3 YPG. 2010 was a close second at 499.2 YPG.

I think the defense will overall be stronger and more consistent next season. Not 2004's caliber, but better overall.

The biggest question will be the luck factor. It went our way in 2013. It may not in 2014.

I am not sure where to add this comment so it fits here as much as anywhere. Within the last two months I listened to tow different radio shows that described Auburn as being "the sexy pick". Both were talking about recruiting but one also made it as more of an in general statement. Both referenced Auburn as being "a program on the rise". One of these programs was out of South Georgia that has more of a Dawg bent and was very surprised by it.

Why do you say our D has a "LONG way to go"? I think our defense will be much better this year. We have a lot of talent returning and coming in, plus it's the second year in CEJ's system. Up the road, our main rivals might be loaded with talent, but we have just as much talent and more experience. They are breaking in a new coordinator and new QB.

I believe this will be the golden age of Auburn football, and there are two reasons....

1. Gus

2. Malzahn

I think he's that good, and if he is truly here for the long haul I think he could go down as the greatest coach in Auburn history.

Canuck will not be happy until we return to the days of the 1914 Auburn defense that was not scored on all season.

I guess the golden age of AU football for me would be the Tubbs years from 04-07. I think we won 10+ games every year during that stretch though only 2 maybe 1 SEC championships. So to me winning 10+ games consistenly warrants the golden statement but some may not feel that way since we didn't have more championships under our belt. Kind of like the golden age of braves baseball which only produced 1 world series title. If Gus can keep us at the 10+ wins per season mark i'll call this the golden age. Hopefully we can add some more SEC championships in there but you have to recognize that our division has never been as tough as it is now and we could be a top 5 team nationally and still have a couple loses in our division...yikes!

I'm pretty cautious as well just because of AUs history of being favored. I know, I know, this is different this time but after getting hit in the face a few times you can't blame a guy for flinching. I will say that even with being guarded about the future I can't recall a team and coaching staff that looks to be this set up for a run in AU history. We had a great year last year with almost the entire team coming back. We have a coach who is an offensive guru that is able to adapt his offense on a year to year basis. We have a staff that is able to recruit with any staff in the country. So there is every reason to be excited about the future of AU football. Hopefully the coaches can continue to bring in the right players and keep the players and themselves hungry for more success every year!

Great post. That same run in the aughts was definitely the highlight of my existence as an Auburn fan. If I'm not mistaken, we were the winningest team in the country from 04-06 (not each year, of course, but totaling all 3). It also helped that we beat bama each of those years... and the one before it, and the one after...

And we've never been in better shape going into a season that I can remember, but college football is extremely fluid. I do feel that it's safe to assume that we'll be very good this season, but I agree with gravejd that it's hard to predict our success beyond that. In 2015 we'll break in a new QB and center, we'll lose at least one of our two best WRs or quite possibly both of them, we'll lose a few on defense and we have no idea what the coaching staff will look like. While I do expect a certain level of competency as long as Gus is around, i.e. nothing that will even remotely resemble 2008 or especially 2012, I'm not going to chalk up any big Ws after 2014 just yet.

Also, keep an eye on Chip Kelly and the Eagles. I'm not equating Kelly's offense to Gus's, but if he and Gus both succeed in the next couple seasons, the NFL will call and I wouldn't be surprised if Gus answered.

I agree that this is a great time to be an Auburn fan. (Of course, we all know its always Great to Be an Auburn Tiger!)

Can we agree now that we will never be like the bammr fans who consider any season they don't play for a national championship a disappointment? We may well be in the playoff this year, and could easily win it all. But we could also be a tipped-ball miracle or kick-six away from missing the playoff too. I'm worried that if we do win it all this year, some on here will start sounding entitled to play for the title every year. I'm not worried about the team feeling that way and playing like Bama in the 2008 or 2014 Sugar Bowl, but I am worried about some people on this forum. I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, please join my pledge to mercilessly beat down any poster who starts sounding entitled.

I agree that this is a great time to be an Auburn fan. (Of course, we all know its always Great to Be an Auburn Tiger!)

Can we agree now that we will never be like the bammr fans who consider any season they don't play for a national championship a disappointment? We may well be in the playoff this year, and could easily win it all. But we could also be a tipped-ball miracle or kick-six away from missing the playoff too. I'm worried that if we do win it all this year, some on here will start sounding entitled to play for the title every year. I'm not worried about the team feeling that way and playing like Bama in the 2008 or 2014 Sugar Bowl, but I am worried about some people on this forum. I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, please join my pledge to mercilessly beat down any poster who starts sounding entitled.

I hear ya, but remember that we were a "tipped-ball miracle" away from not overcoming the deficit resulting from a touchdown that Georgia didn't actually score and a kick-six away from going to overtime, just like we were a crazy Michael Dyer run away from 2nd down with plenty of time to make the next 20 yards or so to get in field goal range towards the end of a tied game.

I'll agree not to become entitled if you agree not to join in on the popular narrative that we earned losses in games that we didn't... deal? :)

(Seriously, just busting chops, and mainly exposing myself as a little too sensitive about certain matters.)

1. Gus

2. Malzahn

Canuck will not be happy until we return to the days of the 1914 Auburn defense that was not scored on all season.

Those days are long gone. Giving up less than 30 points a game now is considered a decent defensive performance. Less than 20 is excellent. I think our defense will surprise a lot of people this year.

Last season was truly a wonderful season, and things look great heading into this season. However, before we can predict or bask in a "golden age" I think we need a larger sample size.

Recruiting looks good, as well, and the future is bright. I hope your prediction is right.

Those days are long gone. Giving up less than 30 points a game now is considered a decent defensive performance. Less than 20 is excellent. I think our defense will surprise a lot of people this year.

Actually, giving up less than 20 points a game is still realistic. Alabama. Florida, LSU, Florida State, and Michigan State are still able to achieve it almost every year.

Even though some would like to forget the 2008 season going 5-7, our defense was still decent and overall statistically better than any defense we've had since(2009-2013).

Actually, giving up less than 20 points a game is still realistic. Alabama. Florida, LSU, Florida State, and Michigan State are still able to achieve it almost every year.

Even though some would like to forget the 2008 season going 5-7, our defense was still decent and overall statistically better than any defense we've had since(2009-2013).

In the last 5 (FIVE) season's those defenses have averaged giving up:

UAT's 12pts/game

FLA's 17pts/game

LSU's 17pts/game

FSU's 16pts/game

MSU's 19pts/game

AU's 27pts/game

Funny that of that bunch, three teams have competed in the BCSNC game in that 5 yr period because they have great offenses and great to decent defenses.

Archived