Athlon's Top SEC Rushers for 2014

chimesAU

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/who-leads-sec-rushing-2014

A few Athlon writer's picks for who will lead the league in rushing next season. Lots of talk about Davis(USCe), Gurley(UGA), Collins(ARK), Yeldon(UA), and Henry(UA). No mention of CAP or any of our other backs. Interestingly, one guy picks Nick Marshall to lead the league in rushing next year. Thoughts?

Not terribly surprising. I don't think you'll ever see an analyst choose a non-returning starter to lead a conference in rushing.

Agreed. Since we will have 3-4 RBs sharing carries, along with NM, it's hard to predict which one will lead our team, much less the league. Now if they ranked which team's rushing attack will lead the conference, I'd be shocked if they didn't unanimously pick Auburn.

http://athlonsports....ec-rushing-2014

A few Athlon writer's picks for who will lead the league in rushing next season. Lots of talk about Davis(USCe), Gurley(UGA), Collins(ARK), Yeldon(UA), and Henry(UA). No mention of CAP or any of our other backs. Interestingly, one guy picks Nick Marshall to lead the league in rushing next year. Thoughts?

All those backs have great individual talent. All of those guys also run out of a traditional offensive system so they are featured more. Our running game has so many moving parts between the schemes and players, it's hard to focus on just one guy.

Not surprising. Our strength is Team Rushing. All of the guys mentioned, other than Henry, had good to great seasons last year.

All those backs have great individual talent. All of those guys also run out of a traditional offensive system so they are featured more. Our running game has so many moving parts between the schemes and players, it's hard to focus on just one guy.

We did a decent job of featuring Tre last year. He had 317 attempts on the year. The next 3 leading backs last year (Hill, Yeldon, Davis) had 203, 207, and 203 respectively. Our lead back, whoever that may be, will get his touches.

We did a decent job of featuring Tre last year. He had 317 attempts on the year. The next 3 leading backs last year (Hill, Yeldon, Davis) had 203, 207, and 203 respectively. Our lead back, whoever that may be, will get his touches.

Yup. And Ben Tate had 263 in 2009, and Stat let us know in another thread to expect 250-260 for the lead back in any iteration of Gus's offense. Like y'all said, though, it's the "whoever that may be" part that doesn't help us with this particular poll.

Yup. And Ben Tate had 263 in 2009, and Stat let us know in another thread to expect 250-260 for the lead back in any iteration of Gus's offense. Like y'all said, though, it's the "whoever that may be" part that doesn't help us with this particular poll.

Wasn't much depth after Ben .

Wasn't much depth after Ben .

Okay, then let's look at Darren McFadden's 284 carries in 2006 with Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis and Michael Smith behind him.

Not having an actual running back on that list bothers me, because we had two of them with 600 plus yards in spite of playing behind a Heisman finalist, PLUS Nick running for over 1000.

But whatever. Let them underestimate us.Their funeral!

There I no excuse for their ignorance other than biasness. Barring injury both Grant and CAP will finish in the top 6 in the SEC with over 1200 each.WDE

This is not bias or ignorance. Even if we have 2 RBs with 1200 yards, we will not have the league's leading rusher. Plus we have Barber and Roc in the mix, so predicting who will be AU's leading rusher is a challenge. I am not the least bit offended that we are left out of this discussion.

You would think by now that sport magazines would realize that Auburn will have in most years, some of the best RB's in the SEC. I guess by mid-season 2014, we will have the top rushers in the conference. I cannot wait to see it all develop. It would not surprise me one bit that we will win the SEC and be among the top 4 in the play offs.

The OP was about leading the league in rushing. IF AU spreads the ball around this season it is not unlikely that some individual from another team might end up with the most yards but as noted, AU is odds on to lead the league in rushing as a team. I like the fact that the defenses can't concentrate their attentions on one RB.

JMO but we will have at least two guys exceed 1000 yards and another 2 or 3 in the 500 yard range...and I'm good with that 'cause it will be a strong indicator that AU has an offense that most opponents will barely be able to slow down.

Athlon & Lindy's are thin on insightful analysis and tend to evaluate positions without regard to surrounding cast (e.g. O lines). Our upperclass RBs are each great at somethings (up the gut CAP and catch me if you can Grant) but our all-around guys (Peyton, Roc et al) are young, untested and may make mental mistakes and/or lay the ball on the ground a couple times to the wrath of Gus (hey, it's a complicated O) so IMHO it was would surprising if any one back gets many carries this season.

It may be a closer ratio between RB's but we will have a #1 guy, no question. Athlon's is what it is, mediocre football prognostication surrounded by lots of Ads. It means Nada!

It may be a closer ratio between RB's but we will have a #1 guy, no question. Athlon's is what it is, mediocre football prognostication surrounded by lots of Ads. It means Nada!

I agree with your assessment of Athlon, but there is definite question as to whether we will have the #1 individual rusher. We will almost certainly have the #1 rushing team, and may have the #1 rusher if one bell cow takes over early. That should have been mentioned in the article.

I agree with your assessment of Athlon, but there is definite question as to whether we will have the #1 individual rusher. We will almost certainly have the #1 rushing team, and may have the #1 rusher if one bell cow takes over early. That should have been mentioned in the article.

Guessing that Dixie meant we will have a *primary* RB, not the #1 rusher in the conference.

Guessing that Dixie meant we will have a *primary* RB, not the #1 rusher in the conference.

Pretty sure that was the implication, as well.

It's unlikely we will have the league's leading rusher this year, primarily because it's going to be the Nick Marshall show, and he's going to be spreading the ball to several different players both on the ground and through the air. Wouldn't be surprised to have three players hit 1,000 rushing yards, though, and we almost certainly WILL have two players who do so.

It's unlikely we will have the league's leading rusher this year, primarily because it's going to be the Nick Marshall show, and he's going to be spreading the ball to several different players both on the ground and through the air. Wouldn't be surprised to have three players hit 1,000 rushing yards, though, and we almost certainly WILL have two players who do so.

When was the last time a team had 3 1,000 yard rushers?

Nevada within the last few years....just checked, 2009

Nevada in kaepernick's last year is the only team to have three one thousand yard rushers. I think 2009 is when it happened? Might've been 2010

I hate to give Athlon any credit but since we don't even know for sure who our number one rusher will be next year how can you expect them to name one of our RB's as one of the top rushers in the SEC. Now if they had been smart they would have covered their basis and said that Auburn with 4 out of 5 returning O-Linemen, a great QB (NM) and a run first philosophy would probably produce one of the top rushers in the SEC but because Auburn doesn't know who that RB will be that they can't predict who it will be either

Archived