Note on the running game (A-Day)

StatTiger

Auburn might not lead the nation in rushing in 2014 as they did during 2013 but the components are in place for a top-10 rushing attack. The offensive line will be very good, Nick Marshall returns and there are plenty of options at the RB position. Brandon Fulse might not be Jay Prosch but Fulse is a special player in his own right. Checking in at 6-4, 272, Fulse is like having an extra pulling guard in the backfield. He certainly showed his worth during A-Day in the running game as well as pass-protection.

2-Back and 2-TE set:

A-DayCross-Buck_zpse9401d82.jpg

I believe this just might be my favorite set, especially when the Tigers implement crossbuck action in the running game. Having Artis-Payne and Grant on the field at the same time will stress the opposing defense to their limits. It gives Auburn 3 options in the running game and the Tigers passed from this set too.

Corey Grant had a great A-Day (128-yds on 5 carries), including a couple of nice runs between the tackles. His speed makes him a game-changer and he doesn't require 20-25 carries to inflict damage upon opposing teams. Every time he is on the field, the opponent must account for him or risk giving up a huge play.

Every time Auburn came out in a variation of this lineup, the LB's crowded the line of scrimmage at the snap, having to respect the running game. This left the middle wide open between the safeties, allowing C.J. Uzomah 1 on 1 coverage over the middle.

Man... look at the block Chad Slade gets on that play. Avery Young and Melvin Ray, too. Not sure what happened to the corner.

It's a quadruple option offense. Take the QB run option out of it and you're still clicking on as many cylinders as anybody else, and doing it with a ton of experienced talent. I'll take it.

How did Ricky Parks do in the game??? Is he even in the mix, or will he be in the 'doghouse'?

Archived