Atlanta bids for Championship Game

WarEagle84

ICYMI, Atlanta is bidding on the 2018 title game. Auburn needs to be in that game.

Atlanta eyeing national title game, Super Bowl

ATLANTA (AP) -- The city of Atlanta wants to host college football's national championship game in 2018 as a prelude to a possible Super Bowl bid.

Peach Bowl President Gary Stokan discussed the timetable after a news conference Monday to announce a six-year agreement with the current title sponsor. The game is part of a new playoff system and will again be known as the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl after carrying only the corporate moniker the last eight years.

Stokan already announced plans to bid for the national title game after the city's $1 billion downtown stadium opens in 2017. He expects a decision next spring.

ICYMI, Atlanta is bidding on the 2018 title game. Auburn needs to be in that game.

ATLANTA (AP) -- The city of Atlanta wants to host college football's national championship game in 2018 as a prelude to a possible Super Bowl bid.

Peach Bowl President Gary Stokan discussed the timetable after a news conference Monday to announce a six-year agreement with the current title sponsor. The game is part of a new playoff system and will again be known as the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl after carrying only the corporate moniker the last eight years.

Stokan already announced plans to bid for the national title game after the city's $1 billion downtown stadium opens in 2017. He expects a decision next spring.

They want to charge NCAA fans lots of money to help pay for their new Atlanta dome stadium too... NFL Super Bowl fans too.

Atlanta is planning to tear down the the Georgia dome after they get their new Atlanta stadium built in 2017. The new stadium will have a retractable roof. It is about the same size as the Georgia dome, but could have been bigger except they elected to not place upper decks in the east end zone. That allows you to see the wonderful Atlanta skyline. They also made the field area wider to accommodate the wider soccer field so you will be viewing football games from further away.

falcons-stadium.jpg

new-falcons-stadium-origami.jpg

I'm sure he will.

I really hope Atlanta can get it. Can you imagine AU in that game. We took over Cali and Arizona. Imagine what we would do with Atlanta? The other team might not have any fans there! lol

Can anyone still remember when bammers claimed Birmingham, their home stadium, was the football capital of the South? They demanded that the SEC title game be played in their home stadium. Even sued Auburn to try to force Auburn to play auburn's home games in bama's home stadium.

Now the place with bahr's statue out front is nothing more than a dilapidated, rusting, hulk, being slowly dismantled section by section until there won't be anything bur a few bleachers along each sideline left - the same pathetic way it started.

There was a time, not that long ago, bammers would have been claiming that old home stadium of theirs should host the national championship game.

They want to charge NCAA fans lots of money to help pay for their new Atlanta dome stadium too... NFL Super Bowl fans too.

Atlanta is planning to tear down the the Georgia dome after they get their new Atlanta stadium built in 2017. The new stadium will have a retractable roof. It is about the same size as the Georgia dome, but could have been bigger except they elected to not place upper decks in the east end zone. That allows you to see the wonderful Atlanta skyline. They also made the field area wider to accommodate the wider soccer field so you will be viewing football games from further away.

falcons-stadium.jpg

new-falcons-stadium-origami.jpg

Okay, I know that it is just a concept drawing, but that has got to be one of the coolest looking stadiums I have ever seen. Interesting design choices, but the outside looks sick. (If that last statement doesn't make sense *cough* Golf *cough*, read it as awesome)

Guest NC1406

I love football. Public money spent on stadiums is just wrong. Yeah I know the government is spending to get more tax revenues but these groups tear down a perfectly good stadium to add a few luxury boxes etc........I would have no issue with a private owner building a new stadium every year. <off soapbox>

I love football. Public money spent on stadiums is just wrong. Yeah I know the government is spending to get more tax revenues but these groups tear down a perfectly good stadium to add a few luxury boxes etc........I would have no issue with a private owner building a new stadium every year. <off soapbox>

About 80% of the stadium is privately funded. Arthur Blank is contributing approx. 800 million & the NFL 200 million. the Falcons are also paying for all construction overruns, an add'l 50 million for infrastructure & 15 million for improving the surrounding neighborhoods. The maximum public contribution is 200 million with that being funded by the hotel/motel tax (paid mostly by out of towners) that is currently designated for the upkeep of the dome. Plus, the city retains ownership of the new stadium. All in all, this is an excellent deal for the city of Atlanta.

Can anyone still remember when bammers claimed Birmingham, their home stadium, was the football capital of the South? They demanded that the SEC title game be played in their home stadium. Even sued Auburn to try to force Auburn to play auburn's home games in bama's home stadium.

Now the place with bahr's statue out front is nothing more than a dilapidated, rusting, hulk, being slowly dismantled section by section until there won't be anything bur a few bleachers along each sideline left - the same pathetic way it started.

There was a time, not that long ago, bammers would have been claiming that old home stadium of theirs should host the national championship game.

While UAT was complaining about Auburn wanting to play the Iron bowl on campus, UAT was busy expanding their stadium so they could dump Birmingham too.

They opened the West upper deck in 1988 and the East upper deck in 1998. $4.65 million was donated to build the East upper deck by Tuscaloosa county, and the cities of Tuscaloosa and Northport in return for UAT pledging to play all home game at Bryant Denny and none at Legion field.

What is wrong with the Georgia Dome?

In the NFL having an old stadium is bad and the Georgia dome is one of the oldest. Many NFL teams have talked their host cities into building new stadiums. The threat of leaving is a really the threat with other cities like LA looking for a team.

In the Atlanta case the Falcons want to stay, but want an outdoor stadium. The owners of the Georgia dome want to also host Super bowls, NCAA tournaments and college football championship and bowls games which require covered stadiums. They could not afford to build an new outdoor stadium and upgrade and maintain the Georgia dome. They claim it was cheaper to build a new stadium with a retractable roof to keep everyone happy and in Atlanta, but that means tearing down the Georgia dome after 25 years of use.

Atlanta is also tearing down Turner field after the Braves leave town in 2016. A 20 year old stadium.

What is wrong with the Georgia Dome?

Atlanta is also tearing down Turner field after the Braves leave town in 2016. A 20 year old stadium.

The reason the Braves are tearing down Turner Field is because it holds 50,000 and on a regular game they have maybe 20,000 fans total. They're building a new stadium and basically a small city within Cobb County. Turner Field's parking is also atrocious.

Just a philosophical view but as long as public money is not involved, let the NFL owners do whatever they wish to do.

But until every large city has safe streets, modern schools, good roads, good public parks and recreation, good libraries.....the cities should just carry out their basic mission....and IMO, that does not include financing sports venues for rich club owners who can actually afford to do it themselves.

I would have thought the Super Dome would have been leveled and a new stadium built by now - that thing is ancient. If the Falcon's/Atlanta can replace a 25 yr old dome - then one would think the Saints/NOLA can do the same.

I would have thought the Super Dome would have been leveled and a new stadium built by now - that thing is ancient. If the Falcon's/Atlanta can replace a 25 yr old dome - then one would think the Saints/NOLA can do the same.

Keep in mind that the Super Dome was basically re-built after Katrina with $200M and another $100M was spent a couple years ago. It might be old...but it's not out of date IMO.

they will get one at some point. What I'm wondering is if the SEC will consider having the conference championship game in other places other than Atlanta. I bet Jerry Jones and TAMU would love to try and get it there at least once in a while.

Keep in mind that the Super Dome was basically re-built after Katrina with $200M and another $100M was spent a couple years ago. It might be old...but it's not out of date IMO.

I am amazed at all the pro stadiums that have been built and torn down in the last 50 years. The circular stadiums built in St. Louis, Atlanta, and Cincinnati have all been torn down. They were awful for football. Even Yankee stadium with its history is gone.

Meanwhile many on campus college football stadiums like JHS were started in the 1930s or earlier and still are used. However college basketball arenas get replaced more often.

I am amazed at all the pro stadiums that have been built and torn down in the last 50 years. The circular stadiums built in St. Louis, Atlanta, and Cincinnati have all been torn down. They were awful for football. Even Yankee stadium with its history is gone.

Meanwhile many on campus college football stadiums like JHS were started in the 1930s or earlier and still are used. However college basketball arenas get replaced more often.

I think the way money passes hands has to do with that. You need alumni support, state support, and other factors for a new college stadium in a very small city/town. For pro teams it's a different venture with owners, investors, contracts, & locations in huge cities with access to tax money. Probably not as vague as I put it but makes sense.

While UAT was complaining about Auburn wanting to play the Iron bowl on campus, UAT was busy expanding their stadium so they could dump Birmingham too.

They opened the West upper deck in 1988 and the East upper deck in 1998. $4.65 million was donated to build the East upper deck by Tuscaloosa county, and the cities of Tuscaloosa and Northport in return for UAT pledging to play all home game at Bryant Denny and none at Legion field.

That sounds like uat was essentially doing what pro teams do, extort money from a city in order to agree to stay there or move there.. Sounds like bammers.

Obviously uat never cared about the community or they'd have never been playing all their big games in Bammerham in the first place. The t'town CofC should have been up in arms over that for years. But them uat never has seen themselves as being a part of t'town.

That was all part of the transition of college football in the south to on-campus stadiums. When I was a kid many long years ago, AU regularly played in Mobile, Columbus, Ga , Atlanta and Birmingham......always played Ga Tech in Atlanta. That's where all the people were I guess....and travel to Auburn was not that easy before the inter-states.

My first AU football game was watching them play Clemson in Mobile...and also seems they played Tulane down there too. Usually there were only 4 homes games and half were non-conference like Chatt or Hardin Simmons, etc.

Going on-campus IMO was the best thing to happen for college football's popularity. And my undying gratitude to Pat Dye for bringing Bama to AU...but in the years before, some resolute AU people broke the chain that had us playing Ga Tech in Atlanta and UT in B'ham....and brought them to Auburn.

Just one more thought too......bringing the alums back to AU to see football games has done wonders for the school overall....made it easier to get support for major campus projects like the work in recent years that has made AU one of the most attractive college campuses anywhere in the country.

Archived