Gus filling in for Bruce

WarEagle84

Great to see the mutual support between our coaches. I am impressed beyond words.

(Cross-posted in football forum, but I thought it deserved a thread here too.)

Collaborative Effort

Jay G. Tate AuburnSports.com Publisher

AUBURN | Cinmeon Bowers became the first player committed during the Bruce Pearl era after a visit 10 days ago.

Since Pearl is prohibited from interacting with recruits due to his show-cause penalty, though, Bowers figured he wouldn't speak with a head coach. He was wrong.

Coach Gus Malzahn volunteered to visit with Bowers and provide his view of what it means to live, study, train and flourish at Auburn University. The meeting made a difference; Bowers committed the next day and said his time with Malzahn brought some clarity to an otherwise cloudy situation.

https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634603 (free article)

I've been on Staff at Auburn since 2006. Before that as a student 1994-1998. I've never, ever seen a coaching staff go around and work the campus like the current group. From Equestrian to Football to Basketball, the entire coaching staff we have right now is doing wonders for morale. It's a beautiful thing.

Just curious ... does anyone know if the show-cause applies only to basketball recruits or can Bruce help recruit football players?

I'm going to guess no. But wouldn't be surprised if yes.

If anyone needed any proof that Auburn is a special place and this is a special time in the history of Auburn athletics, we sure have it.

Sounds like AU Family in action. Just another reason AU is such a special place and attracts classy athletes of high character.

lol....not against the rules and pretty common for a football school to have their football coach make these efforts.....they are an employee just like all other faculty.

I hope that isn't against NCAA rules.

You worry about the strangest things.

It's not that he's "worried", he's just clueless. Common sense would dictate that if it were against ncaa rules we wouldn't have done it, much less made it public knowledge. He has zero common sense too.

Archived