Searching for production in the pass-offense

StatTiger

We often judge quarterbacks based on their completion percentage but it doesn't always tell the true story of just how accurate a quarterback is. When Rhett Lashlee speaks of improving Marshall's accuracy, he is primarily speaking of Nick's accuracy throwing down field. Is it true they would like to see him with a 65-70 pct completion percentage overall? Yes they would but even Lashlee pointed out that you don't complete 65-70 percent of your vertical passes.

During A-Day, we witnessed Nick Marshall targeting down field more so than he did during 2013. Of his 22 pass attempts, 15 were beyond 11-yards of the line of scrimmage. Last season Marshall completed only 39% of his vertical passes, so his 8 of 15 performance in the scrimmage was indeed a good sign. Keep in mind that Cam Newton completed only 52.8% of his vertical passes during 2010 and he was the No. 2 rated passer in the country.

Nick Marshall was No. 24 nationally in pass-efficiency. Had he completed one more impact play per game (15+ yards), he would have been the No. 3 rated passer in the country. The 2010 pass-offense generated 71 pass-plays of 15-yards or more, while the 2013 offense produced 54. Nick Marshall's average impact play in the passing game covered an average of 31.6 yards, which was highest average of any Auburn quarterback the past 25 years. Can you imagine how explosive the offense would be simply adding one more impact play per game in the passing game?

The play...

A-DayUzomahSeam_zps5d806ba7.jpg

On this play, Rhett Lashlee set up the defense by running an inside play with Corey Grant on the previous play. Utilizing the same formation on the very next play, Lashlee calls a play-action pass on first down. The defense is forced to respect the threat of the run and the LB's bite on the play-action.

The LB's are frozen long enough for C. J. Uzomah to split the seam between the safeties. Marshall must deliver a quick pass that must make it over the LB, between the safeties. The pass wasn't the most accurate but Marshall places the ball in a location only Uzomah can make a play on it. Because the LB's had to play the run first, they were unable to drop in coverage soon enough to defend the play-action pass.

Uzomah hauls the pass in for a 17-yard gain and a first down, which sets up a touchdown later in the same drive. Uzomah has only 18 career receptions but 11 of them have been impact plays. He might not be a 30-40 reception guy in 2014 but Uzomah will have his opportunities to make critical plays in the pass-offense, when he is the focus of the play.

Lashlee and Malzahn want Marshall to be more accurate in 2014 but they know making plays down field is the true priority. Auburn has the personnel in place to field a dangerous passing game to match a powerful run-offense. If this takes place, we will see another record setting performance on offense.

Intelligently done as usual stat. I love to see our stat guru (from whom ESPN, Fox et al could learn a lot) with a piece reminding us statistics are rarely the end of the conversation. Unless it's the number and/or timing of impact plays our defense gives up under ole Ellis. (I was this way with Roof too).

Intelligently done as usual stat. I love to see our stat guru (from whom ESPN, Fox et al could learn a lot) with a piece reminding us statistics are rarely the end of the conversation. Unless it's the number and/or timing of impact plays our defense gives up under ole Ellis. (I was this way with Roof too).

Haven't kicked the tires on the ignore feature in awhile. I should probably go make sure it still works.

Archived