Disaster at DT?

WarEagle231

I do not follow recruiting as closely as many here. However, it seems to me that in 2015 Auburn will be very low on quality DTs.

We are set to lose our 4 of our top 5 players at the position after 2014:

54 Jeffrey Whitaker | 6-4 | 322 | R-Senior | Warner Robins, Ga.

50 Ben Bradley | 6-1 | 303 | Senior | Norcross, Ga.

90 Gabe Wright | 6-3 | 284 | Senior | Columbus, Ga.(RE on big package)

98 Angelo Blackson | 6-4 | 306 | Senior | Bear, Delaware

Scholarship DTs Remaining for 2015:

1 Montravius Adams | 6-4 | 306 | Sophomore | Vienna, Ga.(LE on big package)

-- Dontavius Russell | 6-3 | 300 | Freshman | Carrollton, Ga.

93 JaBrian Niles | 6-2 | 300 | R-Junior | Mobile, Ala.

91 Tyler Nero | 6-2 | 277 | R-Sophomore | Atmore, Ala.

- Devaroe Lawrence | 6-3 | 290 | R-Sophomore | Greenville, S.C.

It seems like Auburn will need 3+ DTs for the 2015 class. I understand that recruiting is extremely unpredictable. However, it doesn't appear that Auburn is going to land a top DT class at this point. In my research it appears that Auburn has a low chance to land any of its top DT targets. Every Defense starts on the D Line and I am concerned that we will be very weak up front in 2015. Although I do trust our coaches are working to solve this problem.

Does anyone out there have sunnier perspective on of this?

Well, I'm not the guy for recruiting insight on our top targets, but I know our roster inside and out. You've left a few names off the list.

DaVonte Lambert may play DE this year, but his measureables are almost identical to Lawrence's. He's almost certainly destined to play primarily DT next season. Also, remember, Elijah Daniel is a Swiss Army knife. He played the vast majority of his snaps last season at DT. He's shifting outside this year because we have a greater need on the outside. He could be a really dynamic DT, and if we have greater need on the inside in 2015, he could shift back inside.

So going into next year, just based on guys currently on the roster plus guys already signed, we have as many as six DTs already on the roster. Adams, Daniel, and Lambert (and possibly Lawrence, who is seen as more of a project between the two) will have extensive game experience. That's not a disaster. We probably need to sign 2 or 3 DTs in this class, but that's true every season. We signed 3 guys that could play DT last year (and 3 true DEs in Williams, Kennion, and Thornton). By my count, there's nothing special about our need at DT this year.

Elijah Daniels and DaVonte Lambert can both play inside and that makes the situation not so desperate. But I sort of agree with your premise... 2015 should be a big DT recruiting year for us and that seems to be the one position we are struggling with this year.I'm expecting the staff to make a run at an elite Juco DT, although I have no idea who. I also remember insiders suggesting that the staff expects Andrew Williams to grow into a DT. If we grab a solid Juco this recruiting cycle and Williams does beef up in his 1st year on campus, we could be 3 deep at the position in 2 years. That assumes a lot of unknowns pan out. I too would prefer to land a Thompson or a Mack just to widen the safety net.

ETA: mcgufcm beat me to it

There is a LONG time between now and signing day. Montravius was on our wish list for a while, but he was a toss up late in the game. UGA needs a good year on defense or the Pruitt hype will deflate, and the opportunity to take Thompson will be enhanced. Likewise, another win over UAT and an improved AU defense will enhance the opportunity for prospects who worry about whether AU is the proper launchpad to the NFL. Garner is a great DL coach and recruiter...he'll have at least two DTs in this class that he wants when all is said and done.

This should do the job nicely.

'15 class: 2+1 or 2+2, JUCOs and Freshmen

'16 class: 2+2 or 1+3, JUCOs and Freshmen

Not to worry grasshopper.

Yes, we are losing a TON of DT talent after this year.

No, I don't see a disaster. We have some good youngins already, with a few more on their way, plus our 2015 signees. We're to the reloading stage now my friend!

Pretty sure Ben Bradley redshirted one of his seasons in JUCO, which would make him a junior this year.

Pretty sure Ben Bradley redshirted one of his seasons in JUCO, which would make him a junior this year.

He has 3 years to play 2 seasons following the 2012 season. He'll be senior this fall and haven't used his redshirt year at JUCO.

Archived