Pat Dye Field ...

RunInRed

Seems like they could've made a lot of money selling off that turf to fans. If taking a branch from the hedges was a good souvenir, how much better to plant a chunk of that sod in your yard?

i would have prepped my yard, rented a truck, loaded the sod and drove 4 hours to install it in my yard and bought them some topsoil. there is nothing wrong with that grass. the rye will die in May, the bermuda will come back just fine. they should hold a few raffles to give the sod away.

While they are putting new turf in, maybe they replace the trampled hedges from last year UGA win.

While they are putting new turf in, maybe they replace the trampled hedges from last year UGA win.

I think they got trampled in the Bama win.

I think they got trampled in the Bama win.

RIR's al.com link says they're also working on the hedges.

Did you actually read the article? Oh, the hedges were damaged in the uat win.

Dang. Sorry I did not read the article. I looked at the pick is all. Glad they are taking care of the hedges. It always looks so great inside the stadium.

Dang. Sorry I did not read the article. I looked at the pick is all. Glad they are taking care of the hedges. It always looks so great inside the stadium.

But I bet you always read the articles in Playboy!

The last time they replaced the turf, they also lowered the field by a foot.

The bushes in front of the student section are in the worst shape, but all of them have some damage.

The bushes in front of the student section are in the worst shape, but all of them have some damage.

I don't believe that is accurate. There has long been talk about what they would do to improve the stadium and that's been something that has been brought up in the past, but there's a stream that runs under the stadium that will prevent them from lowering the field. If you can find the article to confirm this happened it would be appreciated. :)

I don't believe that is accurate. There has long been talk about what they would do to improve the stadium and that's been something that has been brought up in the past, but there's a stream that runs under the stadium that will prevent them from lowering the field. If you can find the article to confirm this happened it would be appreciated. :)

Yes there is an extensive drainage system under the field that prohibits lowering it too much. They lowered the field by about six inches in 2011. They had not replaced the sod since 2003 and every year the sod puts down longer roots and more organic material. Draining rain through all that mass of roots is difficult so they remove the extra layers in 2011. Since they are now doing a complete re-sodding only 3 years later, they may not have to remove that much this time. They are really just lowering the field back to where it should be.

Article from 2011.

http://www.theplains...news_lead_story

Eric Kleypas, athletic turf grass manager, said the process of replacing the sod is to make sure the field is draining correctly.

Kleypas said that while organic matter, which consists of decomposing grasses and roots, is good for home gardening, it is detrimental to the draining process of athletic fields.

“As time goes on, and that organic matter accumulates, your drainage rate slows down,” Kleypas said.

In most cases, the new sod must be replaced every 8 to 10 years, Kleypas said. The last time the field was resodded was in 2003.

“Essentially, what we are doing is we take a shovel and see how deep the organic matter is,” Kleypas said. “Well, this year we decided we needed to go five inches to get it all done to where we were at our clean sand root zone.”

This change will cause the field to be four inches lower than last year, Kleypas said, but the difference in the sod will in no way affect the football team.

“Unless you tell them that it had been resodded, they wouldn’t even know it.” Kleypas said.

The organic matter continuously builds up, sometimes even half an inch in a year.

“The field won’t be four inches lower than originally. It will just be four inches lower than last year,” Kleypas said. “What we are actually doing is getting it to the same level that it was in 2003.”

I got on the field after the A Day game last weekend. I thought the grass was impeccable as it was. Anyways, how do I get my own lawn looking that good?

Lots of $$ and a whole crew of folks who know a heck of a lot about grass. :)

I got on the field after the A Day game last weekend. I thought the grass was impeccable as it was. Anyways, how do I get my own lawn looking that good?

the grass you saw at Aday was seasonal rye grass that is overseeded in cool weather when bermuda goes dormant. the rye dies in May and the bermuda comes back about the same time and it would have been immaculate again by July or sooner. Then in November the process starts over. From the info in the previous links is seems they remove the sod and a few extra inches of soil to stop the root system from going too deep into the drainage system. That part is news to me. i know bermuda roots run laterally which is why it is a good playing surface, cleats really grip to it for limited slipping. i have never thought about how deep they grow and how long that takes.

Archived