2017 4* QB Jake Bentley

JFDTiger80

I could not find a thread for Jake and I understand he has an offer. His dad is on our coaching staff. They came from Byrnes HS in SC. This is a huge powerhouse program in SC.

The kid as a freshman was 6'4" and 207. I cant imagine what he will be when he graduates.

Is he going to Auburn High?

Has anyone seen him practice?

He must be in school near AU by now I would guess.

I would like to know what is being said about him locally, if he is here and I assume, has had Spring practice.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could not find a thread fro Jake and I understand he has an offer. His dad is on our coaching staff. They came from Byrnes HS in SC. This is a huge powerhouse program in SC.

The kid as a freshman was 6'4" and 207. I cant imagine what he will be when he graduates.

Is he going to Auburn High?

Has anyone seen him practice?

He must be in school near AU by now I would guess.

I would like to know what is being said about him locally, if he is here and I assume, has had Spring practice.

He's transferring to Opelika High School is all I know.

Man if this kid is already that big as a HS freshman, he's likely to end up at TE but if he's really talented, he could be a really big QB..which would be amazing.

Man if this kid is already that big as a HS freshman, he's likely to end up at TE but if he's really talented, he could be a really big QB..which would be amazing.

I'm told the thinking is he is going to be a stud QB. He has an offer from AU right now as a QB.

I'm told the thinking is he is going to be a stud QB. He has an offer from AU right now as a QB.

Is there an emoticon for giddy.. because that's the way that post made me feel. Any word on his mobility as far as scrambles and designed runs or escapability?

I have seen film on him at a practice throwing the ball to different routes and he has a Pro style motion now. He looked awesome in the film.

He's going to Opelika because Auburn High is set at QB with Bradley Northcut (rising JR).

I do believe Northcutt is related (by marriage) to Benji Rowland. that certainly cant hurt our chances with him either.

I do believe Northcutt is related (by marriage) to Benji Rowland. that certainly cant hurt our chances with him either.

I was thinking Northcutt is the son/grandson of longtime Auburn real estate guru Dewy Northcutt? If so, they are an AU family from way, way back. That doesn't mean the kid won't want to get out of town to go to college.

I agree with you, Mikey. However, it certainly can't hurt.

He's going to Opelika because Auburn High is set at QB with Bradley Northcut (rising JR).

Wonder if the last couple of flips from AHS guys had something to do with it too.

Wonder if the last couple of flips from AHS guys had something to do with it too.

Little bit but the point was made.

I would love it if someone local could attend a spring practice and check Bentley out for us and report back. Come on someone,please.

Is there an emoticon for giddy.. because that's the way that post made me feel. Any word on his mobility as far as scrambles and designed runs or escapability?

You probably have no idea how good this kid is. I am from the Byrnes (SC) school district, have twin boys his age, and coached in the Byrnes junior kids football program. I have watched Jake since he was in 5th grade. The only problem with him is that he has had two leg injuries that have required surgery. If he can stay injury free he will be amazing.

Facts:

* Jakes older brother, Shuler, was the Gatorade player of the year for SC the last 2 years. He is going to ODU on a football scholarship. He set the state record for passing with over 5,000 yards and something like 69 touchdown passes. He was statisticly the number 1 or 2 quarterback in the nation. The supposed reason Shuler didn't get a big time scholarship offer is that he is too short. (5'11" or 6'). Most of us locals that have watched them both.... believe Jake is already better than his brother.

* I got to watch Jake a lot as an 8th grader. He was usually first to practice, had the highest honor roll GPA, knew the offense better than his 8th grade coach... and most impressively to me... was always first in the wind sprints at the end of practice.

* He can run almost as good as he can throw. He is fast and elusive. As an 8th grader I saw him consistently throw the ball 50 - 60 yards in the air.

* His dad is a great quarterback coach.

You probably have no idea how good this kid is. I am from the Byrnes (SC) school district, have twin boys his age, and coached in the Byrnes junior kids football program. I have watched Jake since he was in 5th grade. The only problem with him is that he has had two leg injuries that have required surgery. If he can stay injury free he will be amazing.

Facts:

* Jakes older brother, Shuler, was the Gatorade player of the year for SC the last 2 years. He is going to ODU on a football scholarship. He set the state record for passing with over 5,000 yards and something like 69 touchdown passes. He was statisticly the number 1 or 2 quarterback in the nation. The supposed reason Shuler didn't get a big time scholarship offer is that he is too short. (5'11" or 6'). Most of us locals that have watched them both.... believe Jake is already better than his brother.

* I got to watch Jake a lot as an 8th grader. He was usually first to practice, had the highest honor roll GPA, knew the offense better than his 8th grade coach... and most impressively to me... was always first in the wind sprints at the end of practice.

* He can run almost as good as he can throw. He is fast and elusive. As an 8th grader I saw him consistently throw the ball 50 - 60 yards in the air.

SIGN. HIM. UP.

Facts:

SC, thanks for posting. I hope Jake stays healthy as it would be a shame if he could not play in college because of injuries. BTW, Jakes dad, Coach Bentley, looks like he could still hit the field. He was a great get for our staff. I bet if things keep going well, Coach Bentley will become a field coach for AU. Welcome to our AUFamily board. You are welcome to post and post often.

Facts:

Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

Keith Niebuhr

Son of Auburn assistant makes 247Sports top 100

The top 100 prospects for the 2017 class were named Monday, and one of the players to make the list has strong ties to Auburn.

6_969265.JPG

Auburn offensive analyst Bobby Bentley (center), with sons Jake (left) and Shuler.

Very strong.

Jake Bentley of Opelika (Ala.), who checks in as the No. 4 pro-style quarterback and No. 51 overall recruit, is the son of Auburn offensive analyst Bobby Bentley.

The elder Bentley coached at South Carolina’s Byrnes High before joining the Auburn staff in February. Jake Bentley later moved to Alabama and landed at Opelika. He’s 6-foot-4, 207 pounds and already claims an Auburn offer, which was earned after a strong camp showing in 2013.

Two of Bentley’s older sons — Chas Dodd (Rutgers) and Shuler Bentley (Old Dominion) — both were Division I recruits.

Other notables in the top 100 include:

-Auburn defensive back target Deangelo Gibbs of Suwannee (Ga.) Peachtree Ridge. Two of his uncles played in the NFL and Gibbs holds and Auburn offer. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Gibbs is the No. 1 cornerback and No. 5 overall recruit.

-Auburn cornerback target Richard LeCounte of Liberty County (Ga.) is the No. 4 athlete and No. 21 overall prospect.

-Outside linebacker Markail Benton of Phenix City (Ala.) Central. Auburn offered this summer. He’s the No. 2 outside backer and No. 25 overall prospect.

-Checking in at No. 32 overall is athlete/running back Alaric Williams of Gadsden (Ala.) Southside. Auburn hasn’t offered yet, but probably will this fall.

http://auburn.247spo...op-100-30226950

Keith Niebuhr

Son of Auburn assistant makes 247Sports top 100

The top 100 prospects for the 2017 class were named Monday, and one of the players to make the list has strong ties to Auburn.

6_969265.JPG

Auburn offensive analyst Bobby Bentley (center), with sons Jake (left) and Shuler.

Very strong.

Jake Bentley of Opelika (Ala.), who checks in as the No. 4 pro-style quarterback and No. 51 overall recruit, is the son of Auburn offensive analyst Bobby Bentley.

The elder Bentley coached at South Carolina’s Byrnes High before joining the Auburn staff in February. Jake Bentley later moved to Alabama and landed at Opelika. He’s 6-foot-4, 207 pounds and already claims an Auburn offer, which was earned after a strong camp showing in 2013.

Two of Bentley’s older sons — Chas Dodd (Rutgers) and Shuler Bentley (Old Dominion) — both were Division I recruits.

Other notables in the top 100 include:

-Auburn defensive back target Deangelo Gibbs of Suwannee (Ga.) Peachtree Ridge. Two of his uncles played in the NFL and Gibbs holds and Auburn offer. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Gibbs is the No. 1 cornerback and No. 5 overall recruit.

-Auburn cornerback target Richard LeCounte of Liberty County (Ga.) is the No. 4 athlete and No. 21 overall prospect.

-Outside linebacker Markail Benton of Phenix City (Ala.) Central. Auburn offered this summer. He’s the No. 2 outside backer and No. 25 overall prospect.

-Checking in at No. 32 overall is athlete/running back Alaric Williams of Gadsden (Ala.) Southside. Auburn hasn’t offered yet, but probably will this fall.

http://auburn.247spo...op-100-30226950

Nice pull on this article. I just read it on twitter. Kid will be awesome if he can keep his legs from being injured. Great looking family. There is a lot of football talk that goes on at their dinner table.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake received an offer today from The U. (Miami)

Congrats, Jake, now sign with AU!

• 4 weeks later...

Kid may be the back-up at Opelika but for soph he's doing well. Last night 3/6 two passing TDs and a 15 yard rushing TD.

• 6 months later...

Jake visited Clemson yesterday. I hate Clemson recruiting anyone we are. Since Bentley grew up in South Carolina, I sure it was a serious look for him. He said he had a great time. Jake also performed for the Rival's QB event at Buford HS outside of Atlanta over the weekend as upcoming Junior.

Archived