2014 Players Leaving (Updated: 7/20/15)

WarEagleAU

2015 will be somewhat of a rebuilding year. but I do not see us anywhere near 2012..

9 wins would be about what I expect for 2015 and in 2016 we will be back at the top again.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, we are losing a lot of players this year. I know we have plenty waiting their turn, but your talking a lot of starters that are seniors.

That's why I am not looking forward to the Louisville game in 2015. The team will be extremely inexperienced (relatively speaking) and that's a tough opener. This and next season has the potential to be much like 2010 and 2011 respectively. I know this sounds like a crazy statement given the great year Gus had, but he needs to have a great season this year because it gets difficult to have back-to-back mediocre seasons at a place like Auburn, especially after early success (see Chizik).

Gus will need a great season and a win over Bama this year just when thinking long-term. Should he not, next year with a younger team things will be getting hot. Not "you're fired" type of hot, but, "Hey, you need to turn things around quickly or we're looking elsewhere." That may sound silly to some, but think about it... should he lose to Bama two years in a row, a third will not go over well. But if he has a great season and beats Bama this year, a mediocre season next year will be acceptable / normal.

Not really, because recruiting dropped off big time in 08 and 09, so after losing that huge class following the NC, the guys left to pick up the slack were nowhere near as talented as their predecessors.

As far as the difficulties of having two straight mediocre seasons and keeping your job at Auburn...well, that's not what happened to Chizik. He followed the national championship with a mediocre to decent season (all things considered, it was actually pretty good, but looking back I strongly suspect that was due to the guy who is now our head coach), then fell off the map. The worst season in more than half a century is a little worse than mediocre...but it was more than that, even. He was losing the team. Or, correction: he'd lost the team.

Now, regarding AU's prospective success beyond 2014, let us remember that there's a reason why we rotate players as frequently as we do. Off the top of my head, JJ already has at QB, Marcus Davis and Tony Stevens both showed some flashes during games last season, and EVERYBODY plays on defense as long as they are mentally prepared, so there will be plenty of experience on that side of the ball as well. Besides, let us not forget that we still have an entire season to get through before then, so there is plenty of opportunity for the young players to step up.

Granted, from all appearances, 2015 looks to be a rebuilding year of sorts; however, because JJ is being groomed so meticulously, and because of the talent level of the roster from top to bottom (coupled with the playing time available in rotating on both sides of the ball), it very easily could turn into the first year of reloading rather than the last year of rebuilding under Malzahn.

The good news, in any case, is that I don't foresee Malzahn winning less than 8 games in any regular season at Auburn, and I think it'll be a stretch for him to lose 4. He's just too danged good.

The offensive line in 2015 is a bit difficult to project because of the 2014 OTs. Coleman and Young are the most likely guys to start at those spots. If Coleman has a great year, I'd be shocked to see him back in Auburn in 2015. For a potential draftee, he's already old, and while he has less football mileage on his tires, his body has definitely been through the ringer. I won't blame him a bit if he takes his first chance at big money. Obviously, I hope he's our dominant, starting LT for the next three years... I'm just saying his age creates a question mark.

Avery Young also creates a question mark. You don't see RTs got pro early as often, but he definitely could play his way into early draft position, especially with his body and quick feet. We could have both guys back (yahoo!) or neither (boo!). Tough to say.

Either way, Kozan will be back at LG, Patrick Miller will be back at T, Austin Golson will be eligible at G or T, Dampeer will have two years of grooming at C. If we have something like this (Miller, Kozan, Dampeer, Golson, Young) with Jeremy Johnson and Jovon Robinson behind them, I'm feeling pretty salty about the 2015 offense.

The offensive line in 2015 is a bit difficult to project because of the 2014 OTs. Coleman and Young are the most likely guys to start at those spots. If Coleman has a great year, I'd be shocked to see him back in Auburn in 2015. For a potential draftee, he's already old, and while he has less football mileage on his tires, his body has definitely been through the ringer. I won't blame him a bit if he takes his first chance at big money. Obviously, I hope he's our dominant, starting LT for the next three years... I'm just saying his age creates a question mark.

Avery Young also creates a question mark. You don't see RTs got pro early as often, but he definitely could play his way into early draft position, especially with his body and quick feet. We could have both guys back (yahoo!) or neither (boo!). Tough to say.

Either way, Kozan will be back at LG, Patrick Miller will be back at T, Austin Golson will be eligible at G or T, Dampeer will have two years of grooming at C. If we have something like this (Miller, Kozan, Dampeer, Golson, Young) with Jeremy Johnson and Jovon Robinson behind them, I'm feeling pretty salty about the 2015 offense.

Yep.

I feel pretty good about the offense as long as Gus Malzahn is roaming the sidelines. That man is so far ahead of the curve with his thought process, it's unbelievable.

Yep.

Unless I'm badly mistaken it's going to be hard to keep BSmith off the field in 2016. Maybe Kozan moves to center his last 2 years. Who knows ? He or Young could roll the dice with the draft or we could get bit by injury bug. Either way future looks bright for Coach Grimes and OLU.

I understand why you'd post a list of Juniors who might turn pro after this season, but why list Sophomores?

I understand why you'd post a list of Juniors who might turn pro after this season, but why list Sophomores?

You only have to be so far removed from highschool. With redshirts and other things that occurs sophomores can go from time to time.

I feel pretty good about the offense as long as Gus Malzahn is roaming the sidelines. That man is so far ahead of the curve with his thought process, it's unbelievable.

Ditto.

Yep.

Unless I'm badly mistaken it's going to be hard to keep BSmith off the field in 2016. Maybe Kozan moves to center his last 2 years. Who knows ? He or Young could roll the dice with the draft or we could get bit by injury bug. Either way future looks bright for Coach Grimes and OLU.

...I'm not sure where you're going with that, but how does Kozan moving to center for 2015 and 2016 affect Smith being hard to keep off the field in 2016? I mean, if anything, wouldn't Kozan moving to center open a spot for Smith in 2015?

Now, don't take that as necessarily a disagreement, because I agree that Smith is one heck of a talent. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him starting in 2015 as a redshirt freshman, although that depends more upon the development of some of the older players both for potentially leaving early for the draft and for putting themselves ahead of Smith in the pecking order. The thing about it, though, is that we have so much talent on the offensive line that it would be no disgrace whatsoever for him to have to wait until his redshirt junior year before becoming a starter, considering that three of the projected starters this year are sophomores, as is Jordan Diamond (who will probably be the first guard off the bench), and if Xavier Dampeer redshirts this season while Dismukes is a senior (not sure what the coaches' plans are, but that would make sense to me), that will provide an entire starting lineup of quality seniors in 2016 so long as no one leaves early. I strongly doubt that we'll be able to keep all of those guys around for the full length of their eligibility, but there is, at least, the potential to do so.

In any case, we're already loaded for years to come on the O-line, and with the way recruiting is going this year, it's likely we will continue to be such for even longer...which ALWAYS bodes well, because at the end of the day, football is still a game that is won in the trenches.

Yep.

...I'm not sure where you're going with that, but how does Kozan moving to center for 2015 and 2016 affect Smith being hard to keep off the field in 2016? I mean, if anything, wouldn't Kozan moving to center open a spot for Smith in 2015?

Now, don't take that as necessarily a disagreement, because I agree that Smith is one heck of a talent. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him starting in 2015 as a redshirt freshman, although that depends more upon the development of some of the older players both for potentially leaving early for the draft and for putting themselves ahead of Smith in the pecking order. The thing about it, though, is that we have so much talent on the offensive line that it would be no disgrace whatsoever for him to have to wait until his redshirt junior year before becoming a starter, considering that three of the projected starters this year are sophomores, as is Jordan Diamond (who will probably be the first guard off the bench), and if Xavier Dampeer redshirts this season while Dismukes is a senior (not sure what the coaches' plans are, but that would make sense to me), that will provide an entire starting lineup of quality seniors in 2016 so long as no one leaves early. I strongly doubt that we'll be able to keep all of those guys around for the full length of their eligibility, but there is, at least, the potential to do so.

In any case, we're already loaded for years to come on the O-line, and with the way recruiting is going this year, it's likely we will continue to be such for even longer...which ALWAYS bodes well, because at the end of the day, football is still a game that is won in the trenches.

Sorry Red. A typo. I meant 2015. Apologize for causing the confusion. What I meant was, like you I wouldn't be surprised if "Big" Red starts in 2015.

Sorry Red. A typo. I meant 2015. Apologize for causing the confusion. What I meant was, like you I wouldn't be surprised if "Big" Red starts in 2015.

Aha, I gotcha. And yeah, even if no one leaves early, there is still plenty of chance that he could beat out Jordan Diamond for the guard spot vacated by Chad Slade, or (as you suggested) that Kozan the Barbarian moves to center if Dampeer doesn't pan out as hoped. Isn't it nice to have all this talent on the line? :hellyeah:

Aha, I gotcha. And yeah, even if no one leaves early, there is still plenty of chance that he could beat out Jordan Diamond for the guard spot vacated by Chad Slade, or (as you suggested) that Kozan the Barbarian moves to center if Dampeer doesn't pan out as hoped. Isn't it nice to have all this talent on the line? :hellyeah:/>

What's even crazier is that we lost 3-4 incredibly talented signees to transfer (O'Reilly, Westerman are a few). The depth here is/was/will be ridiculous.

• 5 months later...

Updated: 4 underclassmen not expected to play next season due to graduation (Ben Durand, Brian Walsh, Mack VanGorder and Alex Kviklys). Rankings updated.

Updated: 4 underclassmen not expected to play next season due to graduation (Ben Durand, Brian Walsh, Mack VanGorder and Alex Kviklys). Rankings updated.

Sammie is still likely to leave?

Sammie is still likely to leave?

LOL

As it gets closer to spring I'm sure more walkons will decide to move on. We're hovering pretty steady around the 85 scholarship limit. Its just too much to ask of these kids to go through all the work involved with no chance for scholarship and almost no chance to see the field either. I think one or two years would satisfy most dreams.

• 3 weeks later...

Frost and Kinzy would be the most uneducated move in years. Unless they are close to being in eligible. Another year with a dynamic DC would do wonders for their futures.

Archived