2015 Forward: Big 5 opponent - New rival?

PatBoCamRob

I'd think Jay Jacobs should call the AD at Cincinnati and schedule a home and home deal with Tuberville's team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Cincy's not in the "Big Five." Miami might be a good one. That'd be good for recruiting and they probably wouldn't be a huge challenge. Doesn't it seem like every OOC team we schedule a home-and-home with suddenly becomes a powerhouse at least one of the years we are set to play them (Clemson in '11 and '12 and Syracuse in '01)?

I really would love for us to play UCLA, but LSU has them for awhile. Oregon would be nice, USC, Washington, Arizona State, and of course Georgia Tech.

We have some unfinished business with USC. But I'd take Stanford, Oregon, or Washington as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice.

Reality is we probably play a Big 12 or ACC team just due to less travel time for fans. That equates to more fans at the game and more ticket sales along with more revenue for the home teams city.

I think we need to go after one of the big historic names such as Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Nebraska, Texas, Penn State, etc. I don't think playing Clemson, GT, Louisville, etc., gains us anything. If we are going to play a tough OOC game make it one that is going to get a lot of national attention.

Playing at The Big House would be pretty cool I'd have to say. Talk about unique experience, I'd definitely make the trip.

Tuberville said he wasn't sure if he wanted to play uat because little nickey does not want to make a return trip to Cincinnati.

I would like to see michigan but I am not for playing top 25 teams out of conference often. The SEC is hard enough as it is and although other conferences are getting better they still do not rival the SEC. The SEC gets blasted for playing 2 or 3 cream puffs but most other top programs from other conferences do not play as many top 25 or better teams than we do. Compare how many teams Auburn plays that or in the top 25 when they play them and at the end of the year and compare that to the top teams in each conference and see who wins out. Honestly I like Bamas approach it regard. Play quality name teams that might not be a the top anymore. Like VT. Good team but not a real contender in years but looks good on paper.

Do not think we are looking for a permanent rival from a Big 5 conference. If we were from a historical perspective Ga Tech would be the obvious choice. Since that is unlikely to happen I think we should normally try to schedule Big 5 teams within or near our recruiting footprint. When we play a game outside the this area it should be based on the quailty of the opponent or fan experience. I am more for home and home series, but don't mind an occasional netural site game.

One factor in our attempts to schedule Big 5 opponents may be that in even years we play neither UGA nor bama at home and in odd years we are already making trips to Texas A&M and Arkansas. When looking at home and home series we would likely want the Big 5 opponent to play at JHS in evens years and us play at their place in odd years. However, adding an additional long road trip in the odd years when we already go to Arkansas and Texas A&M might not be in our best interest. The odd and even year split may also affect which Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 might be interested in play us and when they would be willing to do so. They play an unbalanced home and away conference schedule (4-5/5-4). I doubt we could get a team playing only 4 conference home games in an even year to come to JHS as they wouldn't be likely to give up an attractive home game in those seasons. For these reasons I expect in the future we will play ACC teams more regularly than teams from the Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12.

Do not think we are looking for a permanent rival from a Big 5 conference. If we were from a historical perspective Ga Tech would be the obvious choice. Since that is unlikely to happen I think we should normally try to schedule Big 5 teams within or near our recruiting footprint. When we play a game outside the this area it should be based on the quailty of the opponent or fan experience. I am more for home and home series, but don't mind an occasional netural site game.

One factor in our attempts to schedule Big 5 opponents may be that in even years we play neither UGA or bama at home and in odd years we are already making trips to Texas A&M and Arkansas. When looking at home and home series we would likely want the Big 5 opponent to play at JHS in evens years and us play at their place in odd years. However, adding an additional long road trip in the odd years when we already go to Arkansas and Texas A&M might not be in our best interest. The odd and even year split may also affect which Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 might be interested in play us and when they would be willing to do so. They play an unbalanced home and away conference schedule (4-5/5-4). I doubt we could get a team playing only 4 conference home games in an even year to come to JHS as they wouldn't be likely to give up an attractive home game in those seasons. For these reasons I expect in the future we will play ACC teams more regularly than teams from the Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12.

Great post. There are a lot of nice ACC venues, even if most of the teams aren't that good.

There's also the rise of neutral site games. I'd be happy if we made the Chick-Fil-A kickoff a semi-regular fixture, especially now that they're doing doubleheaders.

Then lets play a series with Wake Forest, Duke and Maryland if we're only going to play ACC teams.

With the ACC also keeping the 8 game conference schedule, I would expect that conference to make the most sense for likely opponents. That being said, I would like to see us play a game in a good recruiting market, so how about Miami or Virgina Tech.

Am I the only one who would kill for a series with Oregon? The whole nation would want to watch that offensive explosion

I would LOVE for Oregon to have to endure a hot, steamy Sept.afternoon/evening in Jordan-Hare. They'd probably be gassed before halftime.

A lot of their players come from Texas and their new RB commit is Taj G. from ATL. Plus with the state of the art cooling fans on the sidelines I don't think the heat is as big of a deal anymore.

I would love to have games with Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State. These teams are known for solid play, and would fit the bill for a quality.

I would love to have games with Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State. These teams are known for solid play, and would fit the bill for a quality.

MSU would be tough -- toughest of those 3, IMO. I'd be for it!

Really, no love for a series vs Baylor?? I find that pretty attractive.

Same here. I'm a bit less enamored with UCLA than many here; however, I'd welcome any school over playing Clemson again.

No more Clemson. If JJ lines up teams from the ACC, lets go with Florida State, Miami, Wake Forest, NC State or Duke.

MSU would be tough -- toughest of those 3, IMO. I'd be for it!

MSU is a nice place to watch a game too, especially in September.

Archived