2015 Forward: Big 5 opponent - New rival?

PatBoCamRob

Starting next year, they are requiring cross conference games. We have Louisville in 2015. Who do we project for games afterward? Will a rule like this cause us to find a perennial dancing partner?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my dreams, the hated Georgia Tech but I suspect the opponent will vary from year to year.

In my dreams, the hated Georgia Tech but I suspect the opponent will vary from year to year.

Agree....there is no natural Big 5 rival out there that justifies a permanent relationship IMO. Tech is fine but that would be 2 SEC opponents for them which they might not wish to have. I'm still pulling for NC State in Charlotte....(played them many, many years ago). I still see them as the next addition to the SEC.

I'm still pulling for NC State in Charlotte....(played them many, many years ago). I still see them as the next addition to the SEC.

Just what we need ... another cupcake in the SEC East. They'll probably end up on Bama's schedule more than any other.

Back in the 80s (I think), Alabama and played Penn State every year for something like 10 games. I'd love to see us get a long contract with a team like. UCLA. I remember Tennessee use to play UCLA a lot for home and home games.

Don't let Golf hear you say that.

I wouldn't mind a relationship with the ACC or Big 12 where they rotate the opponent using neutral site and home/away series. Play the games over the first two weeks of the season to help appease TV. Kind of how the SEC/Big 12 & Big 10/ACC do for basketball.

LSU has set up a home/home with UCLA starting in a couple of years. I'd like for Auburn to do something like that -- a high profile team in a big media market, like University of Washington or Texas or Ohio State or Stanford. Washington State and Kansas State have almost no payoff in terms or recruiting or national interest.

LSU has set up a home/home with UCLA starting in a couple of years. I'd like for Auburn to do something like that -- a high profile team in a big media market, like University of Washington or Texas or Ohio State or Stanford. Washington State and Kansas State have almost no payoff in terms or recruiting or national interest.

Miami would be great. That would help us get florida recruiting now that UF will only be on the schedule once every six years. We need southern state home and homes; that should help recruiting more. I'm not sure if west coast boys want to play in the south.

I suspect there will be another home and home series with a few ACC teams. If I had a choice, preferably Clemson or FSU. The only two teams of relevance in that conference, and offer quality competition. Beating them regularly helps supplant a stronger foothold in recruiting. Would also be in favor of games against solid Pac-12 programs, particularly UCLA, USC, UW.

As far as a permanent opponent, I suspect this scheduling option may resurface if the committee is more rewarding to teams with stronger schedules. As alluded to previously, it wasn't uncommon not that long ago to have a multi-year contract with a non-conference foe.

I live in Washington state so I'd really like to see AU set up an early season home & home with UW or even WSU. It would be a great cross-country trip for the team to a region of the country I'm sure few have ever been. Chris Peterson is the new UW coach and he will certainly make them into a contender soon. Plus, September is the best month weather-wise to visit up here in Seattle. WSU's home stadium is in Pullman, WA which is in the SE corner of the state but we wouldn't have to go there -- WSU has been playing at least one home game in Seattle at the Seahawk's stadium since it first opened. AU could be that opponent.

I don't look for any one team to become a fixture on Auburns' schedule. It will, and should, vary. Lots of quality teams that AU can set up a two game home and home set with. Playing different teams gets you exposed to even more people and recruits so that only helps that IMO.

I've thought the same thing. Being an old timer (didn't think I'd ever be saying that) I'd love to have Ga Tech back on the schedule permanently. I expect many of their fans would love to revive the rivalry as well.

I live in Washington state so I'd really like to see AU set up an early season home & home with UW or even WSU. It would be a great cross-country trip for the team to a region of the country I'm sure few have ever been. Chris Peterson is the new UW coach and he will certainly make them into a contender soon. Plus, September is the best month weather-wise to visit up here in Seattle. WSU's home stadium is in Pullman, WA which is in the SE corner of the state but we wouldn't have to go there -- WSU has been playing at least one home game in Seattle at the Seahawk's stadium since it first opened. AU could be that opponent.

Hoe big would football fans in Wash state see a game between UW and Auburn? Are they big fans of college football up there or is their attention primarily aimed at pro teams?

There are plenty of good non conference possibilities that are within reasonable distance of AU; are in or close to our recruiting region; and have a reasonable AU alum base close by.

With all those possibilities I can't see any reason to set up a series with a team 3000 miles away.

Hoe big would football fans in Wash state see a game between UW and Auburn? Are they big fans of college football up there or is their attention primarily aimed at pro teams?

They're more pro oriented from the small sample I've seen, but outside of the LA schools, they have the best following and passion

I've been living up here going on 27 years now. Believe me, the people up here know all about cfb, and would welcome a chance to have a big-time SEC opponent like AU play them at home. Should be sell-outs at either Husky Stadium or the Seahawks Stadium. Naturally, they are more PAC-12 oriented, and the link with the Rose Bowl has them inclined to keep an eye on the Big 10 race during the season. Many of them bristle at the notion of the SEC being the "best conference." But ... they still watch all the televised games. After the BCSCG with Oregon, I would get total strangers coming up to me congratulating me on AU's win and ... for putting Oregon in its place. They are really no different than us -- can't stand braggadocios rivals!

:shoot::soapbox:

Alabama had big game rival going with Penn State and Tennessee had one going with UCLA. Why couldn't we start one with UCLA?

Personally I like being able to go to the games and I'm not a rich man by no means so anyone this side of Arkansas is fine by me. ;)

Am I the only one who would kill for a series with Oregon? The whole nation would want to watch that offensive explosion

I would LOVE for Oregon to have to endure a hot, steamy Sept.afternoon/evening in Jordan-Hare. They'd probably be gassed before halftime.

Am I the only one who would kill for a series with Oregon? The whole nation would want to watch that offensive explosion

I would LOVE for Oregon to have to endure a hot, steamy Sept.afternoon/evening in Jordan-Hare. They'd probably be gassed before halftime.

We heard that about Syracuse, West Virginia, So. Cal, Nebraska and others not being able to stand the heat and humidity. I've never seen it work out that way. The only northern teams that have appeared gassed have been the ones we were supposed to beat by 30 points anyway.

Archived