2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

According to rivals, Coach Chizik met with the UGA commitment in an attempt to persuade him to come to the Plains. Don't know much about the guy, but he is one of the early Rivals 100 prospects.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to get this guy. Only small problem, he is committed to Uga and recruits for them like Zeke Pike recruited for us last year. He also is best friends with one Reuben Foster and they have said multiple times that they will play college football together. Im sure Coach Chizik knows this and thats why this news wasn't surprising. Tough get though IMO

The only way Chiz met with him is if Tray came to campus. Otherwise, it would be a recruiting violation. Don't think we could get by with that with all the dawgs here in Newnan.

I dont have a subscription to rivals, but the headline just says Chizik spoke with Tray Matthews. Maybe somebody with a subscription can clear up the confusion, but this conversation could have taken place by phone

Not sure what this means or if this has any legs but Michael Carvell from AJC sent out a retweet of a tweet between Tray Williams and Shaq Wiggins.  

The tweet was from Trigga_Tray28 to ShaqWiggins21:  bruh I gotta move may 5.  Dont do nun that day.  Then KippLAdams retweeted:  going to Auburn, Alabama?

Then Michael Carvell retweeted:  Rumor is true?

I dont have a subscription to rivals, but the headline just says Chizik spoke with Tray Matthews. Maybe somebody with a subscription can clear up the confusion, but this conversation could have taken place by phone

I figure the head coaches set up meetings via skype when they aren't allowed off campus visits.

I probably got the message confused. I don't have a subscription to rivals, either, I just saw that he posted it on Facebook.

He just says that Chizik called him and wants TM to come by for a visit. AU was always in his top group before committing to UGA.  He says he will visit but is just gonna have fun with the process. Real close to D. Kitt('14) and Wiggins. Firm to UGA.

Guest EagleDamnWar

Tray Matthews has been committed to Georgia since August of 2011, but he remains interested in a number of programs across the country.

One of those schools is Auburn.

The Newnan (Ga.) Rivals100 safety admits that Auburn was always a school of high interest before committing to the Bulldogs, and has stayed in contact with the Tigers' head coach Gene Chizik.

In fact, Matthews and Chizik spoke on Wednesday, as the Tigers' continue to look for a top notch safety prospect in the 2013 class.

"I talked to Mr. Gene, the head coach. I've talked with them in the past, I just haven't really told many people that," Matthews said. "I'm glad I got to talk with him. He said I need to come by soon. That was basically his message."

UGASports.com

Tray Matthews continues to show interest in Auburn, despite his commitment to Georgia.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound safety visited Auburn once before as he passed through the area. He would like to take a more in-depth visit in the coming weeks.

"They want me to come check them out this spring or summer. I will, it'll probably be sooner than then," said Matthews. "Auburn always has been a good school, I always had them near the top of my list. They have good facilities, good campus, and they are UGA's rival, so they have to be good."

Auburn wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor is recruiting Matthews to Auburn.

Chizik wasn't the only rival showing interest in Matthews on Wednesday, as Alabama's Kirby Smart visited Newnan High School.

Matthews remains firm in his commitment to Georgia, however. His relationship with fellow 2013 Georgia commit Shaquille Wiggins, and 2014 commit Demarre Kitt a big reason why.

Matthews has already decided on four official visits for next fall, and none are Georgia, Auburn, or even Alabama. Matthews said he plans to visit USC, LSU, Florida, and Miami next fall, saying he can visit the schools in his immediate area whenever he wants to.

"I'm just enjoying the process and making sure I made the right decision," said Matthews. "I have to keep on looking and I'm going to give them a shot. I want to make sure Georgia is the school I want to go to, which it is. But I'm just having fun."

Sounds like he's pretty open to me.

That's what I was thinking. He is 'committed' but is still considering others.  :-\

Guest EagleDamnWar

"“@Trigga_Tray28: it's gonna be a crazy weekend.  Me and Reuben either going to auburn or Bama.â€

I wish some of our recruits would get in these guys ears and get them to come to the Plains and visit.  I saw that tweet earlier and got very curious.

"“@Trigga_Tray28: it's gonna be a crazy weekend.  Me and Reuben either going to auburn or Bama.”

something tells me that if these two end up at Auburn HS together (the rumor is that Tray is moving to AU HS) that we end up pulling them.

"“@Trigga_Tray28: it's gonna be a crazy weekend.  Me and Reuben either going to auburn or Bama.”

something tells me that if these two end up at Auburn HS together (the rumor is that Tray is moving to AU HS) that we end up pulling them.

If Tray moves to AU HS and we don't pull them, then something fishy is going on. Not necessarily because of rules being broken, but why would both players move to Auburn only to go to Bama?

If Tray moves to AU HS and we don't pull them, then something fishy is going on. Not necessarily because of rules being broken, but why would both players move to Auburn only to go to Bama?

I understand Foster moving to AUHS, but why would Matthews?  :cool:

I understand Foster moving to AUHS, but why would Matthews?  :cool:

Possibly for the same reason: in order to enroll in college early.

Why Auburn HS?  Seems pretty easy question to answer.

1. Auburn is right down the interstate from Georgia....these guys can go to HS here and be back home in an hour or so...or on the weekends. 

2.  Seems that Alabama's HS graduation requirements (or Auburn HS's requirements) make it easier for these kids to graduate at mid-year and go to whatever college they want to....which could be UGa or Bama. 

JMO, but  spending about three or four months at AHS is not very likely to cause these kids to experience some epiphany and all of a sudden realize that NS is  :devil:

Until I see otherwise, there is nothing about these transfers or potential transfers that bodes well for AU.

Why Auburn HS?   Seems pretty easy question to answer.

1. Auburn is right down the interstate from Georgia....these guys can go to HS here and be back home in an hour or so...or on the weekends. 

2.  Seems that Alabama's HS graduation requirements (or Auburn HS's requirements) make it easier for these kids to graduate at mid-year and go to whatever college they want to....which could be UGa or Bama.   

JMO, but  spending about three or four months at AHS is not very likely to cause these kids to experience some epiphany and all of a sudden realize that NS is   :devil:

AU fans DO NOT get your hopes up about either of these two players.  It is HIGHLY unlikely either flip to AU after commiting to Bama and UGA. :banghead:

Until I see otherwise, there is nothing about these transfers or potential transfers that bodes well for AU.

Archived