How Lane Kiffen will be as Bama OC

AUbritt

Kiffin's #1 asset and the reason he was hired is that he is one hell of a recruiter. Saban's formula for success is to simply have better players than everyone else. Kiffin is probably a decent coach but he really shines as a recruiter period.

I keep seeing this talked about when referencing kiffin. However, it doesn't add up that he would be hired at uat because of his recruiting. Saban has been getting the players he wants for years WITHOUT kiffin's help. We can discuss the means to how he's getting those recruits in another thread (cash, cars, kitchens, fishing trips) all thanks to the REC. But the fact remains is he was and is getting them (WITHOUT KIFFIN). I don't see how kiffin is going to improve that...It just doesn't add up.

This^^

Plus, Kiffin left Tennessee in hot water with the NCAA because of some of his recruiting tactics and/or screw ups. Also, Kiffin was on the USC offensive staff in 2004--although he didn't coach Reggie Bush's position that year, he was around when that cheating was going on. With that history I was surprised to see Saban touch him, given the many allegations that Bama has weathered in the press recently. I would call it "waving a red flag in front of the NCAA bull" somewhere else, but in Tuscaloosa, it's more like "further evidence that the bull ignores crimson!"

Of course, I still like to think Kiffin's hiring was to get his photogenic wife in the stands during games. Since Katherine Webb left with A.J., Nicky needed new camera fodder to draw attention away from his bonehead calls on the field and hissy fits on the sideline. :big:

More like waving the red flag in front of his NCAA lap dog. :-\

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he is all that great of an offensive mind. Now he will be running what Nick wants him to run.

Neither do I. This cherry doesn't get picked enough.

It's easy to look like a genius when you're the OC of a team who is advantaged with a huge talent disparity between its opposition.

Oh yeah, and he had some guy named Reggie Bush along the way helping to make his job easier.

I don't think he is all that great of an offensive mind. Now he will be running what Nick wants him to run.

It's easy to look like a genius when you're the OC of a team who is advantaged with a huge talent disparity between its opposition.

Oh yeah, and he had some guy named Reggie Bush along the way helping to make his job easier.

He has Amari Cooper, OJ Howard,

& Derrick Henery to make his job easier at UAT. They are just (if not more) as loaded with talent as USC was 10 years ago. This is basically the same situation for him...

I can't imagine Kiffen coming in and changing the offensive scheme in any major way. I doubt he will even change the current terminology in use. I just don't see Saban giving him a free hand to make significant changes.

And as others pointed out, he doesn't need Kiffen for recruiting. It's perplexing. :dunno:

& Derrick Henery to make his job easier at UAT. They are just (if not more) as loaded with talent as USC was 10 years ago. This is basically the same situation for him...

I agree to the point about him having an abundance of talent at his disposal.......but while also coaching against far inferior competition, and IMO where the scenario differs.

We give guff to bama about their schedule, however In that era of Pac-10 football, the Arizona and Washington schools + Stanford were essentially in-conference cupcakes for those loaded USC squads.

Kiffin won't be distracted with the thousand other things a head coach has to worry about - no media appearances - no booster functions - no glad handing supporters - no coaching clinics - no interviews - no dealing with the Administraion, etc. All he's gotta do is concentrate and focus on his job as an OC, figure out how to utilize the talent on hand and "try" to at least keep the offensive production where it's been the last few years, tweek things a little and add a new wrinkle here and there.

I agree to the point about him having an abundance of talent at his disposal.......but while also coaching against far inferior competition, and IMO where the scenario differs.

We give guff to bama about their schedule, however In that era of Pac-10 football, the Arizona and Washington schools + Stanford were essentially in-conference cupcakes for those loaded USC squads.

Well if that's the case than UAT's schedule is actually stronger than what everybody is giving them credit for. Otherwise he would be coaching against inferior teams this year as well because their SOS is like 95th.

Kiffen never coached qbs. He was co-oc except maybe one year. I remember ed orgeron asking Pete Carroll for advice on his offense at ole miss. He was asked why he talked to Pete when he was a defensive coach that Norm Chow was the offensive Co. Ed said emphatically that "every facet of that offense is Pete's ". Kitten has been in the right places at the right times around the right people. He has not proven much of anything and keeps getting chances. I think he made some good hires and inherited decent situation at UT. No success anywhere to mention.

It is interesting that Kiffen, who got fired mid-season for underperforming, lands one of the best assistant gigs in the nation, while Orgeron, who turned the program around mid-season, is out of coaching.

It is interesting that Kiffen, who got fired mid-season for underperforming, lands one of the best assistant gigs in the nation, while Orgeron, who turned the program around mid-season, is out of coaching.

For some reason, Kiffin manages to get good jobs despite having a horrible track record.

Examples:

Goes to Oakland to coach the Raiders. Completely fails, and is fired. Result? Head coaching job in the SEC during its prime.

Has a lackluster year at UTk along with a myriad of recruiting rules being broken. Result? Head coaching job at one of the top CFB schools of all time (through the 2006 season, USC was 10th all time. Ironically, UTk was 9th.) Small side fact: Kiffin told Russell Wilson and Tajh Boyd that he didn't want them and that they'd never be good QBs. Good call, amirite?

Despite having enough playmakers to be considered a perennial top 5 program, Kiffin stumbles to a mediocre record, and as a result is fired after starting out 3-2 in 2013, with the 2 losses being in-conference. Result? Becomes the OC at Alabama, who has won the BCSNCG 3 times in the past 5 years.

I swear, if Kiffen ever tripped while on a set of stairs, he would fall up them.

For some reason, Kiffin manages to get good jobs despite having a horrible track record.

Examples:

Goes to Oakland to coach the Raiders. Completely fails, and is fired. Result? Head coaching job in the SEC during its prime.

Has a lackluster year at UTk along with a myriad of recruiting rules being broken. Result? Head coaching job at one of the top CFB schools of all time (through the 2006 season, USC was 10th all time. Ironically, UTk was 9th.) Small side fact: Kiffin told Russell Wilson and Tajh Boyd that he didn't want them and that they'd never be good QBs. Good call, amirite?

Despite having enough playmakers to be considered a perennial top 5 program, Kiffin stumbles to a mediocre record, and as a result is fired after starting out 3-2 in 2013, with the 2 losses being in-conference. Result? Becomes the OC at Alabama, who has won the BCSNCG 3 times in the past 5 years.

I swear, if Kiffen ever tripped while on a set of stairs, he would fall up them.

I think his wife might use unethical means to land him jobs.

That's ok as long as you're not eating a salad.

Examples:

Has a lackluster year at UTk along with a myriad of recruiting rules being broken. Result? Head coaching job at one of the top CFB schools of all time (through the 2006 season, USC was 10th all time. Ironically, UTk was 9th.)

The only rationale I've got left...

...Monte still has some tight mafia connections.

I think the philosophy mesh (or lack of it) between Saban and Kiffin is more important than anything else.

Offense is a necessary evil to Saban. Kirby Smart has been at Saban's side since the beginning, but the OC office has a revolving door.

Think of what happens when a defensive minded coach makes a big change on offense. Dye dumping Jack Crowe and the wishbone was like pulling teeth. Tubberville would not let Franklin bring in any of his own assistants. Chizik would not let Malzahn be Malzahn. Muschamp can't figure out what to do.

To Saban's credit, I do think he delegates the offense to the OC, and micromanages his defensive staff (especially his DB coach), so he may stay out of Kiffin's way, but all of the past UAT OC's have been nobodies, not big-name guys.

Finally, historically for Saban at UAT no assistant is allowed to speak to the media. Only Saban. How will Kiffin tolerate that? I can see Kiffin granting an interview at some point.

Finally, historically for Saban at UAT no assistant is allowed to speak to the media. Only Saban. How will Kiffin tolerate that? I can see Kiffin granting an interview at some point.

Kiffen's been there +/-5 months has he spoken publically yet?

To be honest, Saban's muzzle may be the only saving grace Lane has left. Keep him silenced - focused - out of the limelight and constant criticizm - nose to the grindstone - don't give him the opportunity to make an ass of himself to the media.

To be honest, Saban's muzzle may be the only saving grace Lane has left. Keep him silenced - focused - out of the limelight and constant criticizm - nose to the grindstone - don't give him the opportunity to make an ass of himself to the media.

I think that he got to speak once. He said something about "the trio of RBs at Alabama are better than any trio of RBs on any NFL roster".

The meltdown will be Epic.......

I think the philosophy mesh (or lack of it) between Saban and Kiffin is more important than anything else.

Offense is a necessary evil to Saban. Kirby Smart has been at Saban's side since the beginning, but the OC office has a revolving door.

Think of what happens when a defensive minded coach makes a big change on offense. Dye dumping Jack Crowe and the wishbone was like pulling teeth. Tubberville would not let Franklin bring in any of his own assistants. Chizik would not let Malzahn be Malzahn. Muschamp can't figure out what to do.

To Saban's credit, I do think he delegates the offense to the OC, and micromanages his defensive staff (especially his DB coach), so he may stay out of Kiffin's way, but all of the past UAT OC's have been nobodies, not big-name guys.

Saban has an offense and a playbook. You run that offense and that is it. His offense hasn't varied much at all during his tenure. It may change slightly this year but not much. Saban is too much of a control,freak to allow someone to really change how,he,does things.

• 2 weeks later...

Without one shred of evidence but agreeing that something doesn't add up (and hasn't for several of Saban's last decisions)....I'm in the "favor to Monte"/desperation-move camp! It also depends upon how long Saban wants to continue coaching before retirement. Retirement rumors this past year were as strong as they ever have been...with more incentive to go ahead and do so...except for one thing: he couldn't "go out on top," IMO personally and professionally unacceptable to him. On the defensive side of his "mind," he may think he has Smart for one more year before the "right" first head coaching job opens up to him. It's hard for me to believe that coaching Alabama now has the same draw to Smart as it may have years ago, before Updyke, the teabagger, the off-field troubles, all of the looming REC press...nothing anyone can "prove," yet, but forever getting close...not to mention following DIRECTLY in the footsteps of Saban. If there is smoke, if there is fire...I think we will see some action once Georgia and Mark Richt have parted ways. So coming full circle again, what a parting gift from Saban to Bammer....either another NC (doubtful, honestly)...OR a Lane legacy minus the "defense-wins-championships-is-this-really-how-we-want-football-to-be-played" dynamic duo. AND AJ! It could happen!!

:wareagle:

I think that he got to speak once. He said something about "the trio of RBs at Alabama are better than any trio of RBs on any NFL roster".

Given his brilliant 5-15 record with the Raiders, I'm not sure he's qualified to evaluate anything in the NFL... :-[ :-\

BINGO! We have a winner!!!

I just do not understand why the nickster hired Lane Kiffen unless it was because he's tired of recruiting trips and he needed someone else to do that for him.

I hope both of them go down in flames because they both deserve it.

Archived