DIRECTV / SEC Network getting closer to a deal ...

RunInRed

Statement from DIRECTV:

"We're in the middle of productive discussions with Disney over ESPN's new SEC Network and hope to be able to provide it as soon as we possibly can. Both DIRECTV and Disney understand and appreciate the unique bond between SEC teams and the communities they represent, many of which lack any professional teams. We are working cooperatively to ensure that everyone can still see their favorite SEC team play at the most reasonable value to all SEC fans and the rest of our customers throughout the Southeast."

http://www.al.com/sp...e_discussi.html

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is good news. I was getting an itchy trigger finger with regards to switching.

When I signed with DirecTV, I told them I wasn't interested in extra channels. Auburn football was my priority. Looks like I might be staying with them.

Direct will definitely have it. The only hold up was the previous contract which just recently expired or expires soon. Direct and ATT are owned together now and u-verse is getting it so no way direct doesn't.

Direct will definitely have it. The only hold up was the previous contract which just recently expired or expires soon. Direct and ATT are owned together now and u-verse is getting it so no way direct doesn't.

No they aren't. They have agreed in principal to the merger, but there's TONS of FCC regulations and hoops they have to jump through before that will be even close to final. It will likely take a year or even more before its finalized.

Good for DirecTV for providing an update.

From everything I've seen, most big providers sound like they'll work out an agreement--except Charter.

Not according to my friend who works for Directv. He is only passing on what he hears at work but he told me that Direct could not get SEC network because of their latest contract which he told me expires soon(this was back in April) and once it did direct could then negotiate to get it. Then he brought up the fact that direct and att are joining and if that happens(and from what he heard it will) then Direct will definitly get it but it might take longer. Either way he thought Direct would have a contract set up before the season starts. Just what he had heard. You are right though that they have not merged yet. Just adding that in since he thinks it is going happen.

I really hope direct TV get its act together. I wonder if they realize they may lose a lot of viewers down south and are putting out misinformation to stem the flow of people leaving them. Maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist, but I don't want to leave them and then they get it next season or later in this season. Just worried, that's all. I would hate to have to go to my local bar every Saturday just to watch my team play. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Whew, thanks for posting. Fingers crossed.

Agreed!

I don't think there's any need to worry. I doubt there is any way Direct lets the season start without offering SEC to their customers.

By early Aug I expect virtually every porvider will have signed on.

I have that stupid WOW cable and there is no SEC deal yet. I wish we had another option here in my neighborhood.

Tigerbelle, I don't know your situation but if you can get satellite TV I highly recommend it. I have DISH and just love it. I have fiddled with Direct TV but personally I find DISH to be more user friendly and also it is going to have the SEC network. If you are in a condo or apartment situation I guess you are just stuck with cable. Good luck with your situation. :)

Have the providers who have agreements in place let their subscribers know how much more the SEC Network is going to cost the subscriber? I expect it to be in the $10-$12 per month range for most. Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

Have the providers who have agreements in place let their subscribers know how much more the SEC Network is going to cost the subscriber? I expect it to be in the $10-$12 per month range for most. Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

I would think it wouldn't be that drastic of a rate hike for one channel. Dish network didn't go up so I suspect Direct TV would ba a dollar or two at most, JMO though

I would think it wouldn't be that drastic of a rate hike for one channel. Dish network didn't go up so I suspect Direct TV would ba a dollar or two at most, JMO though

I recently spoke to my DirecTV rep and he said I should be expecting an announcement before the end of the month on the network, and that I would be happy about it. I think the monthly amount will be close to $1.50 per month.

There is no increase at all from Dish Network. it's just going to be added like the PAC12 and BIG10 networks were. Part of the agreement also gave us the Longhorn network, and provided ESPNEWS and ESPNU in full HD as well as access to everything at watchespn. All these people throwing out figures are just posting opinions. There's absolutely nothing anywhere that says the SEC network will cost customers any more money than they already pay.

Have the providers who have agreements I n place let their subscribers know how much more the SEC Network is going to cost the subscriber? I expect it to be in the $10-$12 per month range for most. Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

There is no increase at all from Dish Network. it's just going to be added like the PAC12 and BIG10 networks were. Part of the agreement also gave us the Longhorn network, and provided ESPNEWS and ESPNU in full HD as well as access to everything at watchespn. All these people throwing out figures are just posting opinions. There's absolutely nothing anywhere that says the SEC network will cost customers any more money than they already pay.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but will the sec network channel be automatically added or will I have to call DTV... like I would to order the NFL SundayTicket package.

I'm impatient... I made the switch last week. So far, I really like DISH better. I bundled with Windstream and now saving about $70/mo. I also believe my HD is actually better.

Archived