Any updates on Trovon Reed

JwgreDeux

I know Kiehl was recruited as a DB but he always wanted to play QB, and I can tell that 2012 + the amount of competition and his place in it definitely shook up his decision, and I'm sure he wanted to help Auburn in a way that actually mattered, not as a 3rd string backup @ QB.

kiehl never really got what he wanted to do in his head and focused on it. when he switched to defense he admitted he had thought about it since the previous spring(which says a lot about his focus on the qb race) . then midway through fall camp he switches with little time to adjust. i think kiehl was talented enough to play several positions had he set his mind and 100% of his heart on it. He never did and it might not be all his fault. Trovon was a good corner in HS. he made the switch in January, i think, He has focused, trained, studied, practiced, lived.... the cornerback position for 8 months now. He and Kiehl are not that comparable.

If you don't think Frazier was completely focused on playing QB in 2012, then you're delusional. Trovon switching to CB is very comparable to Frazier switching to Safety.

The only thing comparable for reed and Frazier is both played offense, period! Trovon WILL make a differance on D, mark it down

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trovon this year is much better suited for the secondary IMO than Kiehl was in 2012. First of all, they're very different types of athletes. Kiehl in 2012 was an attempt to shore up what ended up being a truly dreadful secondary that was a concern even during preseason. Whereas Trovon may find it hard to even stand out in this year's extremely promising unit, Frazier's 2012 season - even on that horrible D - was at best not notable. In fairness to Kiehl, he wasn't given enough time, enough sound D coaching (van Gorder has even said so) or enough surrounding talent in the secondary, to shine.

In fairness to Kiehl, he wasn't given enough time, enough sound D coaching (van Gorder has even said so) or enough surrounding talent in the secondary, to shine.

YES. This can't be overstated.

Kiehl played for Gene Chizik and his staff. Trovon plays for Gus Malzahn and his staff. That makes everything different.

In fairness to Kiehl, he wasn't given enough time, enough sound D coaching (van Gorder has even said so) or enough surrounding talent in the secondary, to shine.

YES. This can't be overstated.

Kiehl played for Gene Chizik and his staff. Trovon plays for Gus Malzahn and his staff. That makes everything different.

Thats just an excuse for Kiehl not being mentally tough, I don't know what happened for him not to be able to handle bigboy football once he left high school, but it looked at times he had this nervous look about himself whenever he was on the field. You must have forgotten, Kiehl switched to defense when Gus came back to be head coach, so that excuse won't work when comparing him to Trovon. As myself and ironman have said before, Reed will make a huge difference on D and will play more if not START this season , and it won't be by default.

Trovon this year is much better suited for the secondary IMO than Kiehl was in 2012. First of all, they're very different types of athletes. Kiehl in 2012 was an attempt to shore up what ended up being a truly dreadful secondary that was a concern even during preseason. Whereas Trovon may find it hard to even stand out in this year's extremely promising unit, Frazier's 2012 season - even on that horrible D - was at best not notable. In fairness to Kiehl, he wasn't given enough time, enough sound D coaching (van Gorder has even said so) or enough surrounding talent in the secondary, to shine.

Frazier played QB in 2012, didn't switch to defense until 2013. You're arguing with me, but you obviously are ignorant to the position you are arguing. Why would Van Gorder comment on Frazier playing D, when Frazier hadn't switched positions until well after BVG was gone and EJ was running practices? You're obviously arguing for the sake of arguing, but your point isn't even sound.

All of you people are irrational. I can't argue with irrational.

Similarities:

- they both played offense previous to switching to defense

- neither had good success in the offense

Differences:

- Reed is far more athletic

- Reed has experience playing defense; Frazier had none

- Reed switched 5 months in advance; Frazier switched less than 5 weeks in advance

- Reed played WR (naturally a position where greater athletes go) and Frazier played QB

At the end of the day there isn't enough similarity between the two to correlate the lack of success KF had to what TR will experience. I vote we drop the comparison altogether.

Milnewd, I agree with your logic to a certain extent but you have to see how Reed and Frazier are different types of athletes. I'm not saying Reed will definitely be more successful but you have to at least acknowledge the difference between the two.

I always thought Reed would be better as a DB since he played in the UA or Army All American game (can't remember which one he was in). He looked good playing DB then and he's got the speed to be in the secondary. He also performed well during A-Day. But with Moncrief, Whitehead, MIncy (depending on the outcome), Holsey, and Jones, I don't know if he'll be a starter. I think Holsey is the wild card on whether Reed gets significant playing time.

All of you people are irrational. I can't argue with irrational.

Similarities:

- they both played offense previous to switching to defense

- neither had good success in the offense

Differences:

- Reed is far more athletic I'll give you that

- Reed has experience playing defense; Frazier had none False, Frazier played DB in high school just like Reed did.

- Reed switched 5 months in advance; Frazier switched less than 5 weeks in advance True

- Reed played WR (naturally a position where greater athletes go) and Frazier played QB This statement is arguable at best

At the end of the day there isn't enough similarity between the two to correlate the lack of success KF had to what TR will experience. I vote we drop the comparison altogether.

The point I was making is that performance in practice and scrimmages will not indicate success on game day. It's easy to look athletic and jump routes when you already know where the receivers are running. This is why KF looked so good in practice but it didn't translate to game day. I said earlier in this thread that I have cautious optimism re: Reed. I want to see him do well, I want to see him win the Thorpe award, but it's obtuse to sit her and say he will definitely make an impact. None of you have any evidence to support your opinions. Most of you are arguing with blatantly wrong facts.

Archived