AU Wellness Kitchen nearing completion

RunInRed

Auburn's Wellness Kitchen, which the school hopes will be a boost for recruiting, looks to be nearing completion.

The Kitchen, which the school website says "will provide menu choices for student-athletes to aid in the preparation for and recovery from athletic competition, injury prevention and immune support, while meeting other consumption need," is expected to be open prior to the fall 2014 semester.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Auburns-Wellness-Kitchen-close-to-completion-29589402

BsIV-tNCQAAemHP.jpg

BsIV-tECEAAF2l8.jpg

BsIV-rzCAAEZWWK.jpg

BsIV-t1CIAAgsDO.jpg

Great pix...kinda reminds me of the Mag Hall cafeteria when I was at AU though looks a little smaller. ;D

Am I mistaken in thinking schools can't provide a service like this without providing access to the entire student body? I know "athletic" dorms have to be 51% regular student population

Looks nice! I wish that since it's called the "Wellness Kitchen" other people who need some good food could go and eat there too.

All students will be able to eat there. It is also going to meet some of the special dietary needs (such as gluten free and allergies) of the regular student body.

I am not keen on how they are doing this though. This thing was mainly built for the athletes, make no bones about it. They might have used some of the athletic budget but I know they used a lot of the money that is left over from the mandated food fee's that are accessed to all first time undergraduates. Essentially you get hit with 300 off campus and 995 on campus. Anything you do not use in a semester the university gets to keep, which I highly disagree with. Not sure if it was for the full year or if it was just Spring semester, but they cleared something like 300,000 off of this. Let's not forget that tuition will most likely be rising again this Fall also.

Given the way it will be used with athletes I believe the athletic budget should have fully paid for this thing to give back to the students.

Looks nice! I wish that since it's called the "Wellness Kitchen" other people who need some good food could go and eat there too.

All students will be able to eat there. It is also going to meet some of the special dietary needs (such as gluten free and allergies) of the regular student body.

I am not keen on how they are doing this though. This thing was mainly built for the athletes, make no bones about it. They might have used some of the athletic budget but I know they used a lot of the money that is left over from the mandated food fee's that are accessed to all first time undergraduates. Essentially you get hit with 300 off campus and 995 on campus. Anything you do not use in a semester the university gets to keep, which I highly disagree with. Not sure if it was for the full year or if it was just Spring semester, but they cleared something like 300,000 off of this. Let's not forget that tuition will most likely be rising again this Fall also.

Given the way it will be used with athletes I believe the athletic budget should have fully paid for this thing to give back to the students.

Thanks for the insight! I hadn't followed the financing aspect at all.

Am I mistaken in thinking schools can't provide a service like this without providing access to the entire student body? I know "athletic" dorms have to be 51% regular student population

They have to make it "available" to the whole student body but there isn't anything about what they can charge for it. I know this past year you could eat at the buffet the athletes got, but it was like $17 for a student to swipe in, so most avoided it.

They have to make it "available" to the whole student body but there isn't anything about what they can charge for it. I know this past year you could eat at the buffet the athletes got, but it was like $17 for a student to swipe in, so most avoided it.

Yeah I lived in the village my freshman year in '09. The buffet was only $10 then but the athletes with their meal cards we're eating so much they raised it to $15 the spring semester to offset the cost on the students using it.

I want to make a note here, the money on your dining account rolls over from fall to spring and from spring to summer. However, if you haven't used it by the end of the summer semester, you do lose it. But it's not like you lose it after every semester, and they have great ways to get rid of your money (like buying 12 packs of coke at the convenience stores on campus)

I want to make a note here, the money on your dining account rolls over from fall to spring and from spring to summer. However, if you haven't used it by the end of the summer semester, you do lose it. But it's not like you lose it after every semester, and they have great ways to get rid of your money (like buying 12 packs of coke at the convenience stores on campus)

Was under the impression it didn't roll between semesters,due to students in the Fall looking to blow the money on friends. We had the head of Tiger Dining and the AU marketing consultant come into my marketing class and discuss the whole Tiger Dining situation and asked our opinions.

Still do not like the concept of them being forced to pay the money. I also don't buy anything at convenience stores due to the mark ups, like they are at all the ones on campus. I do not have to pay the fee myself as I am not a first time undergraduate.

Was under the impression it didn't roll between semesters,due to students in the Fall looking to blow the money on friends. We had the head of Tiger Dining and the AU marketing consultant come into my marketing class and discuss the whole Tiger Dining situation and asked our opinions.

Still do not like the concept of them being forced to pay the money. I also don't buy anything at convenience stores due to the mark ups, like they are at all the ones on campus. I do not have to pay the fee myself as I am not a first time undergraduate.

I don't either, especially with some of the restrictions that they have on campus. For example, on the weekends everything closes at 5 PM. But yeah, after Fall semester this past year, I had ~$100 left, and after Spring I had ~$300 left, but I got it all used before the summer was over.

I took my son to Camp War Eagle and asked if the funds would rollover and

was told they don't rollover from fall to spring

Unless they changed the rules for this upcoming year, that is not true.

From the TigerDining website:

"What happens to any unused balances from my current semester dining plan?

At the end of fall semester, any remaining dining funds will roll to be added to the amount billed for spring semester. Students have until the end of the summer terms to spend all of their required dining funds for the academic year." (Link: http://www.dineoncampus.com/auburn/show.cfm?cmd=whyOnCampusDining)

And again, this time from Auburn.edu:

"Any Dining Plan balance remaining at the end of a fall semester may be used during the following spring semester. Funds remaining on a dining plan at the end of the spring semester are available for use on campus until the end of the following summer term, regardless of whether a student is enrolled in summer classes." (Link: http://www.auburn.edu/administration/auxiliary_services/dining//Dining_Options.php)

I took my son to Camp War Eagle and asked if the funds would rollover and

was told they don't rollover from fall to spring

Unless they changed the rules for this upcoming year, that is not true.

From the TigerDining website:

"What happens to any unused balances from my current semester dining plan?

At the end of fall semester, any remaining dining funds will roll to be added to the amount billed for spring semester. Students have until the end of the summer terms to spend all of their required dining funds for the academic year." (Link: http://www.dineoncam...yOnCampusDining)

And again, this time from Auburn.edu:

"Any Dining Plan balance remaining at the end of a fall semester may be used during the following spring semester. Funds remaining on a dining plan at the end of the spring semester are available for use on campus until the end of the following summer term, regardless of whether a student is enrolled in summer classes." (Link: http://www.auburn.ed...ing_Options.php)

They may have changed the rules on that and that is why I said it the first time.

I took Marketing during the first 5 weeks this summer, and the head of Tiger Dining came in and spoke along with a marketing prof that does alot of their stuff. I didn't think I was wrong, but when you linked it I figured I just misheard them. I'm thinking they just have not updated the website.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived