CJ Uzomah to Replace Nick Marshall at Media Days.

WarDamnEagle#1

Weak. I got blown up by Mikey on a previous thread because he didnt look at what I was posting after (and I didnt reply to it, so bad on me as well), but my point was, let NM go to media days and take the hit. He deserves it and it will improve him. I understand it may be a stretch as he doesnt speak in public that well anyways. I trust CGM is going to handle it the right way. I just want our QB, NM to handle his business as well before the season begins. Whatever that might be to be the leader on this team. He seems like a good guy. I feel confident he will take the team over going into the fall and make it his. Slip up, but plenty correctable.

There's no way NM could attend Media Days and survive. Plus, he doesn't deserve to take a spot that could go to someone who is equally deserving. CJ is a great player, leader and seems to have good habits off the field. Nick had his chance and messed up. He doesn't need to be talking to anyone outside his friends, family and the coaching staff and if he can put this behind him and play on par with last year he will be fine. I'm still hoping to see him as a better passer this year.

Good decision IMO. The media day should not be about NM and his problems...it's about AU and the entire team and the outlook for the coming season and the move should help keep the focus where it should be..on the entire team.....and not a side show about NM.

Sorry for Nick but actions have consequences and IMO he will be fine, play the season and have a good year.

Nick will be fine, the fact this has brought him to tears shows he knew he messed up. Move on, lesson learned. Now it's up to him to show Gus that he didn't make a mistake by taking a chance on him. I think this makes nick more determined than ever to win this team back.

The right call

Jay G. Tate

AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | Media Days may be a zoo and an overwrought production from top to bottom, but it's a privilege for the players who attend.

And that's exactly how Gus Malzahn sees it.

The Auburn coach on Sunday night elected to remove quarterback Nick Marshall from the team's traveling party and replaced him with effervescent tight end C.J. Uzomah. Marshall, of course, made headlines Friday after being cited for misdemeanor possession of marijuana during a traffic stop in Reynolds, Ga.

It was a major misstep for Marshall, his first at Auburn, but not because of legal ramifications. Though he certainly faces a four-figure fine and at least the possibility of a court appearance and community service, Marshall's most pressing concern may be his relationship with Malzahn.

The Auburn coach expects much from his quarterbacks. All coaches do, sure, but this particular situation is even more profound. Malzahn first met Marshall during the quarterbacks' exile at a Kansas junior college -- a result of being dismissed while at University of Georgia -- and made it clear that the behavioral expectations at Auburn would be even higher.

Marshall's first year on the Plains passed without a single incident.

Then Friday happened.

Malzahn soon pondered how to handle Marshall's inclusion (or exclusion) from the Media Days event. He was torn. On one hand, requiring Marshall to face dozens of questions regarding his citation before the biggest media throng this side of the Super Bowl could be a memorable teaching moment.

On the other hand, Marshall isn't the program's best ambassador right now. His actions have brought negative publicity to a program, and to a head coach, who despises it.

The privilege argument won.

Some will argue that Malzahn took the easy way out by simply expunging Marshall from the Media Days record. The truth, however, is that replacing Marshall is both more difficult and makes more sense.

It reinforces the notion that bad decisions carry with them unpleasant consequences. Marshall has forfeited an ideal chance to showcase his personality on a big stage -- his viability as a Heisman Trophy candidate still would have been the theme Monday -- and looks even worse now that his coach felt compelled to drop him from the event.

You may think players don't care about stuff like that, but they do. Malzahn has lost trust in his senior quarterback. Even if Marshall won't miss the bright lights Monday, he'll surely feel the sting of Malzahn's rebuke.

That will hurt.

It should hurt.

some reporter would try to make a name for himself by burying Marshall alive. Good choice

Yep, the bammer media were near orgasms thinking about the possibilities of grilling Nick Marshall. Guarantee u they will ask Gus plenty of questions about nm, but what are the odds of them asking Saban about his player being arrested for DUI?

some reporter would try to make a name for himself by burying Marshall alive. Good choice

It's accurate. I hate it, but it is. Don't shoot the messenger.

thats fine, but some reporter will ask pointed questions trying to gain a sound byte and thats not needed

Yep, the bammer media were near orgasms thinking about the possibilities of grilling Nick Marshall. Guarantee u they will ask Gus plenty of questions about nm, but what are the odds of them asking Saban about his player being arrested for DUI?

I'm sure Gus will get a lot of questions on what discipline he'll hand down to NM.

Also I doubt you'll hear a peep about a Bama player being arrested since it isn't a star player.

thats fine, but some reporter will ask pointed questions trying to gain a sound byte and thats not needed

Crap, I misread your previous post. I thought you were referring to the quoted article. My bad, we are in agreement.

here's a link containing details about the situation and a quote from the police officer, don't think the officer had any ill intentions, just doing his job,had sympathy for nick. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/07/police_chief_says_teary-eyed_n.html

I agree, it would have been all about weed and AU trouble and nothing about football. Good move by Gus. CJ is great with the media.

Archived