Mincy Punishment

Proud Tiger

Has anyone heard what Gus plans to do re. Mincy punishment? I assume that will be a clue what Gus plans to do with Marshall.

If it was Mincy's first drug offense, there is no punishment, just frequent testing in the future. This is from the Auburn University official written policy.

I'd expect Marshall's situation to be the same. There's no sense in having a written policy if it is not going to be followed.

PS: For those who don't think this is enough, Auburn's drug policy has been judged to be the toughest in the SEC. Link: http://www.martin.uky.edu/centers_research/Capstones_2013/Hale.pdf

This is a finding from research at the University of Kentucky.

If it was Mincy's first drug offense, there is no punishment, just frequent testing in the future. This is from the Auburn University official written policy.

I'd expect Marshall's situation to be the same. There's no sense in having a written policy if it is not going to be followed.

I think it's safe to say that is a minmum punishment and stricter sanctions could apply for players if the coaches felt it was necessary. He's already been held out of media days, so that's above and beyond the written policy.

Gus may hold him out of the arky game and he may not. Dismukes missed games for public intoxication. All situations are different and the coaches have some leeway.

I think it's safe to say that is a minmum punishment and stricter sanctions could apply for players if the coaches felt it was necessary. He's already been held out of media days, so that's above and beyond the written policy.

Gus may hold him out of the arky game and he may not. Dismukes missed games for public intoxication. All situations are different and the coaches have some leeway.

Holding Marshall out of media days was probably a favor to Marshall more than punishment.

PS: For those who don't think this is enough, Auburn's drug policy has been judged to be the toughest in the SEC. Link: http://www.martin.uk...s_2013/Hale.pdf

Interesting that we have different rules for marijuana versus all other drugs.

Holding Marshall out of media days was probably a favor to Marshall more than punishment.

Doubt that very seriously, he wanted to be there.

Society as a whole has different standards for different offenses; drugs/alcohol etc. I think not allowing Nick to go to media days was the correct course to follow. Him wanting to be there and then not being allowed to go due to his own mistake is different than Gus just choosing not to take him. At least when he was stopped, he was respectful to the officer and did not make the situation worse. Dismukes missed one game I believe and If not mistaken,this happened after fall practice had opened though not sure about that.

That was not Dismukes first rodeo, and it wasn't Gus. This is both of their 1st offenses as per the current policy (I assume). Mikey is correct. Why have it if you don't follow it. That only goes to what AU's stance is though and Gus will, I'm certain, be administering some individual "inspiration" to both parties.

That was not Dismukes first rodeo, and it wasn't Gus. This is both of their 1st offenses as per the current policy (I assume). Mikey is correct. Why have it if you don't follow it. That only goes to what AU's stance is though and Gus will, I'm certain, be administering some individual "inspiration" to both parties.

This is a policy, not a contract. A policy generally sets a minimum threshold, not a maximum. There has to be room for a coach's discretion. Imposing a punishment greater than is required by the policy does not mean you are not following the policy.

FWIW, the references to "no lost playing time" for a first offense are for a failed drug test. There is a separate section for legal issues. Quoting from the AU Athletic Dept policy:

All criminal offenses involving drugs and alcohol will be immediately evaluated by the Investigating Committee and penalties recommended as appropriate for the incident. The AU investigation and possible penalties are separate and apart from any criminal prosecution resulting from the incident. In most cases, the AU investigation and penalties would occur well in advance of the legal disposition of the matter.

I'm not saying Marshall asked not to go. I'm saying Gus kept him out of the fire.

PS: For those who don't think this is enough, Auburn's drug policy has been judged to be the toughest in the SEC. Link: http://www.martin.uk...s_2013/Hale.pdf

MIkey, when looking at the policy, it looks as though UGA and KY have the toughest policy. They both loose 10% of games after 1 transgression. AU, and a couple of others are next in line, losing 50% of games at the second offense and dismissal after 3 instances.

The crazy one is UF. They allow 3 offenses and only dismiss after 4 offenses.

I'm not saying Marshall asked not to go. I'm saying Gus kept him out of the fire.

My mistake, yes he did. But as bad as Nick wanted to be there he should be very upset with himself and at the end of the day it's all his fault, and I think he has owned it pretty good.

MIkey, when looking at the policy, it looks as though UGA and KY have the toughest policy. They both loose 10% of games after 1 transgression. AU, and a couple of others are next in line, losing 50% of games at the second offense and dismissal after 3 instances.

In Gainesville, the grass is made of weed. It's so prevalent, anything less might be a disaster ?

I think it said that with all drugs with the exception of pot that AU players lose 50% of playing time on the first offense. Auburn has two different policies, one for pot and one for everything else.

On the whole, the researcher found AU's policy to be the toughest. That's not to say there isn't a specific instance where another school has a stronger measure.

Mincy Marshal Punishment ???

More frequent drug testing in the future.

what punishment does Mincy deserve, Mikey?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a policy, not a contract. A policy generally sets a minimum threshold, not a maximum. There has to be room for a coach's discretion. Imposing a punishment greater than is required by the policy does not mean you are not following the policy.

FWIW, the references to "no lost playing time" for a first offense are for a failed drug test. There is a separate section for legal issues. Quoting from the AU Athletic Dept policy:

All criminal offenses involving drugs and alcohol will be immediately evaluated by the Investigating Committee and penalties recommended as appropriate for the incident. The AU investigation and possible penalties are separate and apart from any criminal prosecution resulting from the incident. In most cases, the AU investigation and penalties would occur well in advance of the legal disposition of the matter.

Nice research, and I agree 100%. That said- not sure if either actually get more than the policy. I wonder if either was subject to an immediate drug test.

UGA only misses 1 game on the first offense and 3 after 2 offenses. Our guys missing half the season at 2 is pretty rough and way more than the 4 total an UGA player would miss. Warning - Half season - Gone.........that is pretty strict and no one else matches that.

With that said, Marshall - as far as we know - didnt fail a drug test - nor was he arrested - nor was he charged. Do we sit kids for not wearing a seat belt and getting pulled over? Do we differentiate between citations?

UGA only misses 1 game on the first offense and 3 after 2 offenses. Our guys missing half the season at 2 is pretty rough and way more than the 4 total an UGA player would miss. Warning - Half season - Gone.........that is pretty strict and no one else matches that.

With that said, Marshall - as far as we know - didnt fail a drug test - nor was he arrested - nor was he charged. Do we sit kids for not wearing a seat belt and getting pulled over? Do we differentiate between citations?

We don't have a seat belt policy, we have a drug policy. He violated it. He gets it . It's time we all get it, too, and move on. If it were a second offense he would clearly sit.

Mincy Marshal Punishment ???

More frequent drug testing in the future.

what punishment does Mincy deserve, Mikey?

If it's his first drug offense, more frequent testing. Just as the school policy states.

Archived