Gus on ESPN

RunInRed

Man oh man if we had a DC that could recruit AND coach...like oh, say, Muschamp...imagine what we could do. (insert needle scratching across record here).

I remember when Gus was our OC one of our players during the bowl trip against Northwestern said Gus carried play sheets around with him and wouldn't stop talking about formations even when they were supposed to be enjoying pre-bowl festivites. He's living his dream and we're along for the ride.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just never get over how confident and composed Gus Malzahn the Head Coach is compared to the geeky OC many of us thought we had hired.

"The good thing for us is we have Jeremy Johnson, another outstanding quarterback I think will play at the next level," he said. "He played two games last year and was the SEC Offensive Freshman of the Week. We're in good shape there."

http://www.al.com/au...on_on_nick.html

Yowza! ;D:yes:

Man oh man if we had a DC that could recruit AND coach...like oh, say, Muschamp...imagine what we could do. (insert needle scratching across record here).

I remember when Gus was our OC one of our players during the bowl trip against Northwestern said Gus carried play sheets around with him and wouldn't stop talking about formations even when they were supposed to be enjoying pre-bowl festivites. He's living his dream and we're along for the ride.

We have one of the all time best DC's in the country already. Having Muschamp would be a MASSIVE step down. I don't get your blind hatred for Ellis Johnson nor do I understand what you base your opinion of him on. His track record proves the exact opposite of what you think of him.

I took aucanucktiger to be having some fun with the ones who wanted Muschamp as HC before Gus was hired. Did not take his comment as a slight to Ellis Johnson at all.

Gus is the perfect fit for Auburn! It's great to have him and I can only hope he will be here for a long, long time.

...for that, we need to show respect to JJ too! It's him brought us 2 great coaches in bb ad fb ...

Yeah he really turned it around with those two hires after Chizik and Barbee.

When is Gus on ESPN? All I see on there is saban & Spurrier.

Lol! I don't care what anybody says this can't be a real account

I took aucanucktiger to be having some fun with the ones who wanted Muschamp as HC before Gus was hired. Did not take his comment as a slight to Ellis Johnson at all.

This isn't the first negative comment he has had about Ellis.

The jury is still out IMO of Ellis but I've seen some good things on that side of the ball despite giving up the big plays.

Once Ellis gets this defense where it needs to be and finds it is time to retire, I would love to see Chizic as our DC. I love Chizic as a DC, just not a HC

who let auburn4ever create an alter?

We have one of the all time best DC's in the country already. Having Muschamp would be a MASSIVE step down. I don't get your blind hatred for Ellis Johnson nor do I understand what you base your opinion of him on. His track record proves the exact opposite of what you think of him.

Ditto :thumbsup:

USCe certainly hated to see him leave - for good reason. GREAT hire by Gus.

Oh, no no no. Canuck takes every opportunity he can- and creates many other opportunities- to denigrate CEJ. It's perplexing.

Once Ellis gets this defense where it needs to be and finds it is time to retire, I would love to see Chizic as our DC. I love Chizic as a DC, just not a HC

Sure, because former HC's come back to the school that fired them only to become their DC all the time. LOL.

Oh, no no no. Canuck takes every opportunity he can- and creates many other opportunities- to denigrate CEJ. It's perplexing.

There are a few well-known detractors of CEJ. Canuck is on that list, which definitely calls your reading of his post into question, gr82be.

Even if he would come back, I don't believe it would be a fortuitous move for him OR the AU program. Gotta keep moving forward, not back.

While I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that Johnson is one of the all time best, I absolutely agree that he on a different level of coaching compared to Muschamp. The more time goes by, the more it seems that the defensive success we had while Tubs was the coach was because of Tubs' coaching, and the DCs were more for recruiting and taking care of the small things.

The situation we find ourselves in now is particularly ideal, because we have an offensive genius of a head coach who basically allows the defensive guru to focus on what he's good at without too much interference. Johnson's only lack of success has come as a head coach, after all.

I don't know if Ellis is in an entire league different than Muschamp, he may be better however

Florida's had a top 3 defense in the SEC every year under Muschamp (without their entire defense being hurt)

I'm not jumping on the fire Ellis campaign, but to say there is a wide difference is just ridiculous

I feel like I'm watching a college football legend in his early years as an AU coach.

+1

And I am so gonna steal that.

I don't know if Ellis is in an entire league different than Muschamp, he may be better however

Florida's had a top 3 defense in the SEC every year under Muschamp (without their entire defense being hurt)

I'm not jumping on the fire Ellis campaign, but to say there is a wide difference is just ridiculous

It's not ridiculous at all when comparing 3 years by Muschamp to the SUSTAINED LONG career of Ellis Johnson. I stand by my statement, that Ellis Johnson is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Will Muschamp as a defensive coordinator and he always will be. IF they were close in terms of age/experience it might be slightly different, but they aren't.

I think Ellis did wonders last year alone, with what he had to work with, in a very short time!

Everyone does realize, he was 15 seconds away form a National Title and the Auburn defense certainly was not to blame.

Special teams injuries, plus catching us off-guard on a 4th down punt fake (special teams) maybe, but not the D.

Also, not slamming on the special teams, without them (Blocked FG, Kick 6 vs UAT) we don't go to the big show. Not to mention the record setting punts downed inside our opponents 5 yard line!

It's not ridiculous at all when comparing 3 years by Muschamp to the SUSTAINED LONG career of Ellis Johnson. I stand by my statement, that Ellis Johnson is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Will Muschamp as a defensive coordinator and he always will be. IF they were close in terms of age/experience it might be slightly different, but they aren't.

Muschamp was one of the best DCs in the nation when he was one, and unlike the last great DC turned HC in the SEC, he sustained that defensive success, if you HAD to pick a DC for the next 5 years, most people would at least think about who they're gonna pick.

EJ has forgotten more than Muschamp knows about defense.

Archived