Les Miles responds to Greg McElroy concerning lsu success

AUbritt

Here is a link to the Tiger Rant thread, which does a good job of explaining what Miles said.

At the end of the routine lame segment with the usual media talking points, including the riveting topics such as his love of eating grass and "the clap", Les kind of interrupted the sign off and said, while leaning forward and staring down McElroy the entire time, completely unsolicited.....

"I want to give you one point too, about winning. Winning is a thing that is inherent to how you were raised. It is something you carry with you for a lifetime. And to pretend that it is brought, or deposited, at a place.....and left.....it is not.

It is always carried on by those participants and people that are there. PERIOD. Just, end of discussion." surprised.gif Iconbow.gif

That was a clear shot at McElroy, who sat there with a deer in the headlights smile on the entire time, who recently made the comments about Saban's long term influence on the continued tradition of winning at LSU.

At the very end he shook hands with all three hosts and told McElroy "congratulations on a great career" IconLOL.gif

I thought it was random (just Miles being Miles) when I saw it live, since I didn't know that McIlroy had just criticized Miles (by praising Saban so much). It's actually pretty pointed.

Edit: There's some coarse language over there.

I love Les Miles. He's entertaining, and yet he still is a classy guy. That was a great way to put GingerMac in his place without being a jerk about it.

Love it! Remember espn has a lot of bama alumni working there. The arrogance is getting ridiculous, and everybody besides AU is starting to dislike bama with a passion and I LOVE IT!!

Wow. I feel like *I* just got slapped.

Ha !! Me too.

Very classy retort by Les Miles. He has his faults but overall, I respect the man and what he has accomplished at LSU.

Les Miles is absolutely correct too. It is absurd to grant Saban even of a shred of credit for the success Miles has had for--at minimum--the last 5 years.

Too bad sack boy lacks the ability to comprehend

Too bad sack boy lacks the ability to comprehend

I like your name for him War Tim! Remember Ginger Sack never lost a game hype...until he got to Alabama. My hat is off to the Mad Hatter for his comments.

Two of the most overhyped sports figures of our time. McIlroy needs no elaboration. IMHO Les Miles is the college version of John Gruden, entertaining and unbelievably lucky on game day. Miles regularly makes bone-headed calls that come back to haunt his team and his staff loses key recruiting battles without having an apparent plan B. He's still an Okie State caliber coach in the SEC. The biggest positive about him is, unlike previous LSU coaches, he keeps the boatload of in state talent that grew up wanting to go to LSU from going someplace else.

Two of the most overhyped sports figures of our time. McIlroy needs no elaboration. IMHO Les Miles is the college version of John Gruden, entertaining and unbelievably lucky on game day. Miles regularly makes bone-headed calls that come back to haunt his team and his staff loses key recruiting battles without having an apparent plan B. He's still an Okie State caliber coach in the SEC. The biggest positive about him is, unlike previous LSU coaches, he keeps the boatload of in state talent that grew up wanting to go to LSU from going someplace else.

+1

IMO, you nailed Les Miles perfectly. He's been able to benefit from having one of the best defensive minds in the buisness on his staff, Chavis has saved Miles arse many times. Les always pulls a head-scratcher a couple of times a year and has made some blunders on several occasions from coaching hires to in-game decisions.

He's a very likeable guy, someone you'd love to have a beer with - IMO it's impossible to hate Les. But his own fanbase gets all jacked up and ready to run him out on a rail at least once every single season - they are an ungrateful bunch of folks and the fact that Les has stayed at LSU in spite of his fans should be commended.

C'mon guys, give Ginger a break! He's still feeling the affects of T-Bell's DDT!!!! McElrod has a permanent "deer in the headlight" look, courtesy of that day!!!

You guys are aware that Chief Chavis (who is great, by the way) wasn't there when Les Miles won a national title. You know that, right? So let's not pretend like Chief or any other assistant coach "made" Les Miles.

There are more ways to succeed in college football than being a great X's and O's guy or even a great game manager (Side note: the comparison between Gruden and Miles is... odd. Gruden is a football nerd who has difficulty adjusting away from his system, and he's an offense first last always guy that chafes his players in all the wrong places. Miles is almost his polar opposite, a guy that pays less attention to breaking down films but inspires guys to run through walls for him. Odd comp.)

Les isn't an innovator like Gus or Spurrier. He isn't a masterful tactician like Saban. But he recruits like a banshee; he consistently gets the most out of his guys; he crafts an identity that his guys buy into and embody year after year. He's a damn good head coach that would be successful just about any place. Go through his resume and find the blemish. He was great as an OL coach at Michigan, successful as an OC at Okie State, then turned a loser around as HC, and won a national title at LSU. The guy can coach.

This is a golden age for SEC coaches. We have great entertaining coaches like Spurrier and Miles as well as likable ones like CGM, Freeze, Richt. Then we have the ones no one likes like Bulugia and saban. I will really miss Spurrier when he retires. One of the all time greats.

This is a golden age for SEC coaches. We have great entertaining coaches like Spurrier and Miles as well as likable ones like CGM, Freeze, Richt. Then we have the ones no one likes like Bulugia and saban. I will really miss Spurrier when he retires. One of the all time greats.

Yep...some really good guys out there at the moment. And as for Les, he's one of the best interviews around...right up there with Spurrier IMO...and as noted, he can sure recruit but get's little credit for it. Although NS gets credit for being an NFL pipeline, LSU pretty much matches them in recent years...but both are far behind Ohio State. So meanwhile, I hope Les stays around....he's fun to watch...and listen to.

You guys are aware that Chief Chavis (who is great, by the way) wasn't there when Les Miles won a national title. You know that, right? So let's not pretend like Chief or any other assistant coach "made" Les Miles.

There are more ways to succeed in college football than being a great X's and O's guy or even a great game manager (Side note: the comparison between Gruden and Miles is... odd. Gruden is a football nerd who has difficulty adjusting away from his system, and he's an offense first last always guy that chafes his players in all the wrong places. Miles is almost his polar opposite, a guy that pays less attention to breaking down films but inspires guys to run through walls for him. Odd comp.)

Les isn't an innovator like Gus or Spurrier. He isn't a masterful tactician like Saban. But he recruits like a banshee; he consistently gets the most out of his guys; he crafts an identity that his guys buy into and embody year after year. He's a damn good head coach that would be successful just about any place. Go through his resume and find the blemish. He was great as an OL coach at Michigan, successful as an OC at Okie State, then turned a loser around as HC, and won a national title at LSU. The guy can coach.

I'm with you on this one, mcgu.

Love the, "congratulations on your career" to end it. What career?

The idea that dinkybear being at LSU for a few years is the reason for their success -- for years even before dink showed up and years after he left -- is preposterous. Everybody but some bamasuckbutt knows that.

You could not be more right.

I played high school baseball for Sammy Dunn, who is the only first hand comparison I can make. He could be intensely personal in his (honest) criticism, and always in your face. There were days that I wanted to kill him, but between the lines on game day everybody bought in and believed him. I would have done anything he told me to do. That's a great coach and that's Les Miles.

When he defended Russell Shepard on Senior Day in 2012 he separated himself from 99% of the coaches in America.

CAUTION HE DELICATELY DROPS AN "F-BOMB" AT THE 1:15 MARK

Les Miles is absolutely correct too. It is absurd to grant Saban even of a shred of credit for the success Miles has had for--at minimum--the last 5 years.

True. Ever since Saban left Miles has done a good job at keeping LSU a power. However his only NC in 2007 was with players Saban recruited. He had his chance in the 2012 BCSNCG to prove he was an equal to Saban but got embaressed. He has done good but there is a reason why he doesn't get any offers from other schools or from the pros. He makes too many bonehead calls and losses games that he shouldn't. Quite an entertaining person to listen to I'll say. Greg is a newbie on tv and will need plenty of improvement.

True. Ever since Saban left Miles has done a good job at keeping LSU a power. However his only NC in 2007 was with players Saban recruited. He had his chance in the 2012 BCSNCG to prove he was an equal to Saban but got embaressed. He has done good but there is a reason why he doesn't get any offers from other schools or from the pros. He makes too many bonehead calls and losses games that he shouldn't. Quite an entertaining person to listen to I'll say. Greg is a newbie on tv and will need plenty of improvement.

Saban left LSU after the 2004 season this is what Lil nickie did with his players, that he recruited, in 2004:

• 2004 – LSU finished the season 9–3, after losing to the Iowa Hawkeyes in the Capital One Bowl 30–25. Other losses that season were at Auburn 10–9, and a loss to Georgia 45–16. At the end of the 2004 season, Saban left LSU to coach the Miami Dolphins.
  • So Lil Nickie (with players he recruited) loses a Bowl Game to a Big 10 team, loses to our own Auburn Tigers, and gets completely embarrassed by UGA!

Les Miles started recruiting his players in 2004 that he won a national title with in 2007! There is no way you can give Lil nickie any of the 2007 Natty credit.

By the way, where was lil nickie in 2007? Oh yes, failing miserably with the NFL's Dolphins!

Saban left LSU after the 2004 season this is what Lil nickie did with his players, that he recruited, in 2004:

• 2004 – LSU finished the season 9–3, after losing to the Iowa Hawkeyes in the Capital One Bowl 30–25. Other losses that season were at Auburn 10–9, and a loss to Georgia 45–16. At the end of the 2004 season, Saban left LSU to coach the Miami Dolphins.
  • So Lil Nickie (with players he recruited) loses a Bowl Game to a Big 10 team, loses to our own Auburn Tigers, and gets completely embarrassed by UGA!

Les Miles started recruiting his players in 2004 that he won a national title with in 2007! There is no way you can give Lil nickie any of the 2007 Natty credit.

By the way, where was lil nickie in 2007? Oh yes, failing miserably with the NFL's Dolphins!

Actually Nick was at UAT in 2007. He had one winning and one losing season with the Dolohins. I would go so far to call that a miserable failure. Miami has sucked even since he left. As far as 2007 all of those guys who were seniors and juniors were rectruted by him. His last recruiting class would have been 2005. That 2004 game gave me a heart attack!!! Lol

His last recruiting class was 2004. He left before signing day in 2005. That was Miles' first class. The RS Juniors, Seniors, and RS Seniors on the 2007 team were recruiting by Saban. The true Juniors were part of Miles' first class. Saban's guys on that team included Matt Flynn, Jacob Hester, Early Doucet, Glenn Dorsey, Ali Highsmith, Tyson Jackson, and Chevis Jackson. I think it's fair to say Les' three years with those guys (Flynn and Hester in particular) had a pretty huge role in their development, but they were Saban's last group of signees.

Arkansas and Michigan offered les miles the bank.

His last recruiting class was 2004. He left before signing day in 2005. That was Miles' first class. The RS Juniors, Seniors, and RS Seniors on the 2007 team were recruiting by Saban. The true Juniors were part of Miles' first class. Saban's guys on that team included Matt Flynn, Jacob Hester, Early Doucet, Glenn Dorsey, Ali Highsmith, Tyson Jackson, and Chevis Jackson. I think it's fair to say Les' three years with those guys (Flynn and Hester in particular) had a pretty huge role in their development, but they were Saban's last group of signees.

Thanks!

Archived