2016 4* WR Darnell Salomon (USF commit)

ellitor

I will create a full OP profile on him later but wanted to get the thread started due to the news that just came out. Remember AUF rules when discussing this topic. We do not run down or bash recruits PERIOD so think twice before you hit post.

A 5-star recruit who visited Auburn last weekend is a suspect in a Georgia dorm burglary that allegedly took place during his visit to UGA's Dawg Night camp on Friday.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, UGA Police have issued a warrant for the arrest of Darnell Salomon, a receiver at Hialeah (Fla.) Champagnat Catholic. Salomon is the No. 3 receiver and No. 21 overall prospect for 2016 in the 247Sports Composite.

Per the AJC, he "is accused of entering the unlocked suite of two female students in Busbee Hall this past Saturday morning and stealing an iPhone5 and a wallet containing cash and credit cards."

Salomon camped at Auburn the following day (Saturday), and got lots of personal attention from coach Gus Malzahn and receivers coachDameyune Craig.

"Auburn has great coaches," Salomon said told AUC. "Dameyune Craig really taught me a lot of fundamentals and techniques that will help me be a better receiver and to know they could do that in just one session, then it is exciting to think what they could do with me for four years. Coach Craig said he really likes me and he wants me to come to Auburn."

Salomon stayed at Auburn through Sunday before returning home to Florida.

At this time, it is not known if Auburn will continue to recruit him.

Link

The author mentioning Auburn in any way, shape or form in that story is bizarre. Like a Chevrolet connection because that's what he drove from Athens after the alleged incident.

Interesting...I had seen the news about the recruit stealing stuff at UGA but hadn't seen who it was and had no idea that went to AU next. Guess we'll see where this goes but stealing from people while on a recruiting visit is not a good idea.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? If a person is charged with a felony can that person enrol at AU? What if they are convicted of a felony?

TIA

The author mentioning Auburn in any way, shape or form in that story is bizarre. Like a Chevrolet connection because that's what he drove from Athens after the alleged incident.

He was believed to be a top AU target as we plan to take 2 or 3 WRs in 2016 as things stand now so it's not bizarre at all to mention AU.

He was believed to be a top AU target as we plan to take 2 or 3 WRs in 2016 as things stand now so it's not bizarre at all to mention AU.

I'm sure a 5-star recruit is a Top Target for many schools, plus I am sure he has visited other schools or plans to visit others besides Auburn. I also cannot understand why Auburn was even mentioned in the article! He's still in High School and it happened at UGA. The article has more about Auburn and Auburn coaches in it, than the robbery itself, or UGA where the crime took place!

He is a 2016 recruit. I kinda think that, by NSD in 2016, this would have been sorted out. That said, I think UGA has probably crossed him off their list.

I'm sure a 5-star recruit is a Top Target for many schools, plus I am sure he has visited other schools or plans to visit others besides Auburn. I also cannot understand why Auburn was even mentioned in the article! He's still in High School and it happened at UGA. The article has more about Auburn and Auburn coaches in it, than the robbery itself, or UGA where the crime took place!

Keith Niebuhr wrote the blurb. His primary job for 247 is covering recruiting for AU. Solomon was a top 2016 target who got a lot of personal attention Saturday from Gus and CDC at the Junior camp therefore it is logical that Keith write that blurb. Look at it this way. If Keith was not proactive in writing that blurb in the form of a bolt the first question he would have gotten is is our staff still recruiting the kid? He went ahead answer based on what he knew at the moment.

It's not bizarre to make mention of Auburn once. But they not so cleverly used a player quote to intentionally get the name hits they desired. They could have used a quote with the name of any number of schools in it, including Georgia. However, to make sure the name Auburn is woven into their story 6 times, along with the names of 2 coaches, demonstrates an agenda by the AJC "reporter". It's not surprising.

It's very obvious and not even clever.

Not sure what to think about this and will only say it is sad kids do not respect stuff that belongs to other people. That being said, kids do stupid things, and they can learn from them and become much better people for it.

It's not bizarre to make mention of Auburn once, even twice. They not so cleverly used a player quote to intentionally get the name hits they desired. They could have used a quote with the name of any number of schools in it, including Georgia. However, to make sure the name Auburn is woven into the story 6 times, along with the names of 2 coaches, demonstrates there is an agenda by the AJC "reporter". #surprised

Do you not see where the story was posted? It was on an Auburn recruiting website and in an Auburn specific forum called "The Bodda Getta". Of course the author is going to talk about Auburn more than any other school because that's what his readership cares about. This isn't some national outlet like ESPN or CBS Sports writing and posting this.

It's not bizarre to make mention of Auburn once, even twice. They not so cleverly used a player quote to intentionally get the name hits they desired. They could have used a quote with the name of any number of schools in it, including Georgia. However, to make sure the name Auburn is woven into the story 6 times, along with the names of 2 coaches, demonstrates there is an agenda by the AJC "reporter". #surprised

Do you not see where the story was posted? It was on an Auburn recruiting website and in an Auburn specific forum called "The Bodda Getta". Of course the author is going to talk about Auburn more than any other school because that's what his readership cares about. This isn't some national outlet like ESPN or CBS Sports writing and posting this.

I saw it. Do you not see I am talking about the AJC portion ?

Is it this kid that for sure stole the stuff or is he just one of many suspects? I didn't get the impression that anyone had been charged.

IronMan, this may be the first time we've ever disagreed -- but I think you're misreading this one. Here's a link to the AJC story, which doesn't mention Auburn at all. All the stuff about Auburn is coming from KN reporting to Auburn folks about where Salomon stands vis-a-vis Auburn.

Is it this kid that for sure stole the stuff or is he just one of many suspects? I didn't get the impression that anyone had been charged.

Story said there was a warrant issued, I believe. That generally indicates some pretty strong evidence when talking about theft.

Story said there was a warrant issued, I believe. That generally indicates some pretty strong evidence when talking about theft.

True. I guess if he is actually guilty then maybe it's good that he's a 2016 recruit. That could be just the wake up call the young kid needs to get his life and head in order before he blows a lot of really great opportunities.

Crap! I was really hoping that the burglar wasn't going to be anyone that Auburn was recruiting. The initial reports on UGA boards were that it was a friend of a recruit. It would be awesome to land this kid and pair him up with Mr. Craig. I guess we'll see how it plays out...

Long way to go before I would start throwing salt on this kid for a robbery. He is a suspect and will be interviewed by the police, but until they arrest him I'm going to wait to make any judgements.

Long way to go before I would start throwing salt on this kid for a robbery. He is a suspect and will be interviewed by the police, but until they arrest him I'm going to wait to make any judgements.

I'm all for waiting before throwing salt. However I do believe an arrest warrant is out; so we should have answers soon.

I'm all for waiting before throwing salt. However I do believe an arrest warrant is out; so we should have answers soon.

This is correct.

IronMan, this may be the first time we've ever disagreed -- but I think you're misreading this one. Here's a link to the AJC story, which doesn't mention Auburn at all. All the stuff about Auburn is coming from KN reporting to Auburn folks about where Salomon stands vis-a-vis Auburn.

I of course have no issue with all the Auburn references on an Auburn site. The first quotes that appear in the post on page 1 as well as the AUC link come after the lead-in phrase, "per the AJC", so that is how I read it. The way it was written, even the other quotes can appear to be a reference to the AUC by the AJC.

Thanks for the AJC link, which was not in the post, it clears it up. It looks like the AJC is off the hook just this one time. But, I'm keeping my eye on those bums.

;D

Gotta hand it to Georgia for the brilliant new recruiting strategy. Accuse a top recruit of a crime and and then promise to make it all go away if he commits. On a related note, every five star recruit in the 2015 and 2016 recruiting class is now wanted for murder by the Tuscaloosa Police Department. If you have any information, please contact them by driving through the city with an Auburn bumper sticker. They'll definitely stop you for a quick talk

Archived