All Things AU Linebacker thread

ellitor

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do we lose this year?

'Mike' Linebacker

8 Cassanova McKinzy | 6-3 | 249 | Junior | Birmingham, Ala.

47 Cameron Toney | 6-1 | 243 | R-Freshman | Huntsville, Ala. -- OR --

30 Tre' Williams | 6-2 | 225 | Freshman | Mobile, Ala.

RS 5 Deshaun Davis | 5-11 | 230 | Freshman | Mobile, Ala.

40 Daniel Pond | 6-1 | 207 | R-Junior | Spanish Fort, Ala.

ST -- Josh Shockley | 5-10 | 215 | Freshman | McDonough, Ga.

'Will' Linebacker

17 Kris Frost | 6-2 | 234 | R-Junior | Matthews, N.C.

33 Kenny Flowers | 6-1 | 230 | Junior | Lilburn, Ga. -- OR --

43 Anthony Swain | 6-2 | 249 | R-Junior | Gadsden, Ala.

16 Javiere Mitchell | 6-2 | 210 | R-Sophomore | Leeds, Ala.

22 Khari Harding | 6-0 | 224 | Sophomore | Edmond, Okla.

83 Michael Clifton | 6-3 | 250 | R-Sophomore | Evans, Ga.

I don't see us losing anybody to the draft (who can say about off field issues, injuries, etc...). I think we have a much improved squad, but I don't know what we will see improvement to the point that they will declare early. That being said, I'll be super excited if we do have someone drafted, because that will likely mean that our D was playing at a high level!

Anyone think Garret figures into this discussion somewhere? Hard to believe he will be relegated to back up duty at Star, after the way the coaching staff raved about him last preseason.

Anyone think Garret figures into this discussion somewhere? Hard to believe he will be relegated to back up duty at Star, after the way the coaching staff raved about him last preseason.

I kinda think he and Therezie will rotate at Star, depending on whether we're thinking of defending run or pass. Maybe Garret will be part of the Rhino Package?

Davis is redshirting right? Is that why he tweeted that he isn't going to wear #12? Does anybody have info on what numbers every player will wear?

Cam Toney, and Swain are pretty big guys. I think they'll be excellent backups this year.

1 don't know. 2 Would have nothing to do with him wearing number 12. Mack Van Gorder is #12 right now on D. 3. Some players have tweeted what they will wear but nothing official from the university yet besides the EEs.

As of now indications are he will not play much LB nor be relegated to back up at Star either. The plan is for RT to play more versus spread pass teams and JG play more against power run teams. Expect to see dual star packages with both RT and JG on the field at the same time some.

Deshaun Davis is now entering his second season after his injury and should be ready to go.

Double D is a true frosh in gis first year. It just seems like he is in year 2 because he was committed so long.

I think he meant literally DD is entering season 2 since he was injured, meaning he missed all of last year and now heading in to this season. Not that he is entering his second season at AU.

Deshaun Davis is now entering his second season after his injury and should be ready to go.

Double D is a true frosh in gis first year. It just seems like he is in year 2 because he was committed so long.

I think he meant literally DD is entering season 2 since he was injured, meaning he missed all of last year and now heading in to this season. Not that he is entering his second season at AU.

OOPs. Nevermind...and what's worse is I reread it 5 times before I replied.

Frost and McKinzy switching positions seems natural to me and should show on the field. McKinzy is the big, down hill run stopper we need in the middle and Frost's athleticism ought to show playing in space (remember, this guy ran down JFF in the open field.) I'm excited to see those two and Moncrief more than anyone else on D.

yes especially excited about moncrief, lbs should be the same, i want us to have opposing players frightened

Like every Auburn fan, I hope our current guys step it up. I'm simply not optimistic that they will. Frost is entering his fourth year at AU and McKinzy his third. It's past time...

Deshaun Davis is now entering his second season after his injury and should be ready to go. Tre Williams was our most outstanding recruit at LB in several years. Those two will be playing a significant amount if the returners don't improve their games by leaps and bounds.

That was very sensible. I share most of your sentiments. I believe we will see them move to the next level because we have never seen them play in year 2 of the same defense.

Excellent point! I am expecting improvement in the defense in general. All we need is more or less traditional AU defense. Combine that with our offense, and :wareagle:

This may seem like a pointless statement, but I am more excited to see this defense than our offense. If our linebackers step it up this year, I don't see a weakness on our defense. I can not wait anymore longer. 5 more weeks!!

As of now indications are he will not play much LB nor be relegated to back up at Star either. The plan is for RT to play more versus spread pass teams and JG play more against power run teams. Expect to see dual star packages with both RT and JG on the field at the same time some.

Yes, I have been reading that CEJ will have both Garrett and Therezie out at the same time on occasion. Therezie proved himself last year and Garrett is just a hell of a player. AU's defense might get just as innovative as Malzahn's offense.

I'm thinking the LBs will have a good season in this, the 2nd year of the same defense. It's been awhile for that. I also think an eventual 2 deep of McKinzy, Frost, Toney and Williams is going to be solid. We are seeing an upgrade in talent at the position over the last 2 cycles. I think we are going to see our first All-SEC LBs in quite some time, coming from that group. If needed, we will have to rely on Swain, Mitchell and Flowers to bridge the gap until the 2 younger guys are ready.

But I am also with Mikey. We need to get to the point where we have LBs making All SEC on a regular basis and getting LBs drafted into the NFL again. That is the kind of talent we need. We also need to have the talented depth on the roster that can step right in and play at the same level when one of them leaves. We are going to have to keep signing at least 3 good LBs to accomplish that and the sooner the better.

Before the nc game I looked at FSU 's roster, their lbs are tiny. they only had 2 at 6-4 mid 200 size

Before the nc game I looked at FSU 's roster, their lbs are tiny. they only had 2 at 6-4 mid 200 size

But they are extremely athletic. They cover ground almost as well as anybody we played.

I just suspect that we will hear Toneys name mentioned a lot this year WDE

I agree. I also don't think it's a given that Williams will work his way into the two deep rotation this year. I think it's likely Williams will, indeed, be on the 2-deep, or at least he will get there at some point in the season, he's just going to have to earn it, because there are several who had some good moments last year looking to hold him back (Swain, Flowers, etc)...not to mention that Cam Toney's natural position is the same as Williams's. Personally, I think we're in good shape at linebacker, both regarding talent and depth. If we ran a 4-3, then of course we'd be thin along the depth charts, but then again, Moncrief and Garrett would likely be playing LB in that case.

McKinzy was the leading tackler last year, Frost finally has experience AND a position that suits him, Toney has a year in the system to have picked up how to make the defensive calls behind Cass, Williams has all the talent in the world, and there are a host of others who have size, athleticism, and experience to provide quality depth to two positions. So yeah, I'd say we're not looking too bad.

Frost and McKinzy switching positions seems natural to me and should show on the field. McKinzy is the big, down hill run stopper we need in the middle and Frost's athleticism ought to show playing in space (remember, this guy ran down JFF in the open field.)

I do remember that, And Manziel has some wheels and motors on 'em at a pretty good clip. That was a great play by KF. Great play.

Frost and McKinzy switching positions seems natural to me and should show on the field. McKinzy is the big, down hill run stopper we need in the middle and Frost's athleticism ought to show playing in space (remember, this guy ran down JFF in the open field.)

I do remember that, And Manziel has some wheels and motors on 'em at a pretty good clip. That was a great play by KF. Great play.

The coaches aren't stupid. Both LB's were playing out of position last year, but it was for a reason. Lets hope that reason has been overcome.

I just suspect that we will hear Toneys name mentioned a lot this year WDE

I agree. I also don't think it's a given that Williams will work his way into the two deep rotation this year. I think it's likely Williams will, indeed, be on the 2-deep, or at least he will get there at some point in the season, he's just going to have to earn it, because there are several who had some good moments last year looking to hold him back (Swain, Flowers, etc)...not to mention that Cam Toney's natural position is the same as Williams's. Personally, I think we're in good shape at linebacker, both regarding talent and depth. If we ran a 4-3, then of course we'd be thin along the depth charts, but then again, Moncrief and Garrett would likely be playing LB in that case.

McKinzy was the leading tackler last year, Frost finally has experience AND a position that suits him, Toney has a year in the system to have picked up how to make the defensive calls behind Cass, Williams has all the talent in the world, and there are a host of others who have size, athleticism, and experience to provide quality depth to two positions. So yeah, I'd say we're not looking too bad.

Good news today form Troy Al., good news!! :)

Saw on the ESPN ticker yesterday and posted on ESPN Recruiting site that AU got a 4* commitment from Richard McBryde (#48 out of 300), an OLB from Troy. That is a good sign.

Ok, what is the plan for Garrett and Therezie? If Justin is as good as we heard before the injury(and I think he is) he has to be on the field. Therezie HAS to be on the field too, we should all agree on this. Should JG move down to OLB(which he did as he attempted to return last season. Or should RT move back to safety? It might depend on the production of the others vying for the two safety spots. I think JG is more natural, instinctive LB than Kris Frost. JMO

Let's discuss LB for real.

Ok, what is the plan for Garrett and Therezie? If Justin is as good as we heard before the injury(and I think he is) he has to be on the field. Therezie HAS to be on the field too, we should all agree on this. Should JG move down to OLB(which he did as he attempted to return last season. Or should RT move back to safety? It might depend on the production of the others vying for the two safety spots. I think JG is more natural, instinctive LB than Kris Frost. JMO

Agreed

Addressed on page 4

Archived