All Things AU Linebacker thread

ellitor

Ok, what is the plan for Garrett and Therezie? If Justin is as good as we heard before the injury(and I think he is) he has to be on the field. Therezie HAS to be on the field too, we should all agree on this. Should JG move down to OLB(which he did as he attempted to return last season. Or should RT move back to safety? It might depend on the production of the others vying for the two safety spots. I think JG is more natural, instinctive LB than Kris Frost. JMO

Let's discuss LB for real.

Addressed on page 4

thx ellitor. i still think they both should have a spot.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have any word on Javier Mitchell? He was great 2 plays on a row stuffing the run in the goal line stand at Arkansas. I don't recall seeing much of him beyond that. My assumption was that he had issues with pass coverage so they only played him in obvious running situations. Will he be a factor in the LB rotation this year?

Anyone have any word on Javier Mitchell? He was great 2 plays on a row stuffing the run in the goal line stand at Arkansas. I don't recall seeing much of him beyond that. My assumption was that he had issues with pass coverage so they only played him in obvious running situations. Will he be a factor in the LB rotation this year?

Tough call. Cass and Frost are starters and guys like Tre and Flowers are hungry. CEJ usually only goes 2 deep at LB in games.

Mitchell has been somewhat of an enigma. He has all of the measurements to be able to play the Star position but couldn't pick it up. I think he is still slated as a MLB but hasn't put on the weight for the position. It's very puzzling because he can play ball.

Mitchell played with his hand in the ground at Leeds. I wouldn't be surprised if they used him at a rush DE on 3rd downs with Lawson likely out for the year.

Mitchell played with his hand in the ground at Leeds. I wouldn't be surprised if they used him at a rush DE on 3rd downs with Lawson likely out for the year.

At 210 LBS he'd have to gain a ton of weight to do that.

He got injured right after that

Anyone think Garret figures into this discussion somewhere? Hard to believe he will be relegated to back up duty at Star, after the way the coaching staff raved about him last preseason.

As of now indications are he will not play much LB nor be relegated to back up at Star either. The plan is for RT to play more versus spread pass teams and JG play more against power run teams. Expect to see dual star packages with both RT and JG on the field at the same time some.

Just curious, who would come off field. A DL or a Safety?

Wasn't he getting a lot of hype at OLB in spring or fall camp last year? and then got injured or something? Maybe I'm mixing that up with JG.

I think we will have one of the better LB units in the SEC. We finally have maturity and talent at the position, something we have not had in a very long time.

This^^ 100%

Javier Mitchell could play DE at 6'2, 203 lbs??? With how much unreal talent we have at LB I doubt he will ever see much playing time. I find it hard to belive he will crack the rotation of Frost, Cas, Swain, William, Toney, Flowers, Garrett or Davis. We are absolutely loadddddddded at LB and only adding more talent (Williams, McBryde, and hopefully Holland).

Javier Mitchell could play DE at 6'2, 203 lbs??? With how much unreal talent we have at LB I doubt he will ever see much playing time. I find it hard to belive he will crack the rotation of Frost, Cas, Swain, William, Toney, Flowers, Garrett or Davis. We are absolutely loadddddddded at LB and only adding more talent (Williams, McBryde, and hopefully Holland).

Agreed, and the linebackers this year is MUCH better than last year!

It's pretty funny Just a few years ago we had Bates (a 2* safety), Holland (a white guy), Richardson (a walk on Rhodes scholar) and Evans (a 3 star). The average size of those guys was under 6 foot and 220 lbs....you will get absolutely murdered with that combination of guys.

Now we got 6 guys that average 6'2, 240 lbs and are 4+ star recruits....you can dominate with those characteristics!

It's pretty funny Just a few years ago we had Bates (a 2* safety), Holland (a white guy), Richardson (a walk on Rhodes scholar) and Evans (a 3 star). The average size of those guys was under 6 foot and 220 lbs....you will get absolutely murdered with that combination of guys.

Now we got 6 guys that average 6'2, 240 lbs and are 4+ star recruits....you can dominate with those characteristics!

Agreed, and I also remember the sunshine pumping/ scolding if u spoke on how terrible linebacker play was with those guys u mentioned. Nothing against them, it's just that they were NOT sec caliber linebackers.

Agreed, and I also remember the sunshine pumping/ scolding if u spoke on how terrible linebacker play was with those guys u mentioned. Nothing against them, it's just that they were NOT sec caliber linebackers.

Hahahahahahhaha yup! I got kicked off for speaking the truth ab those guys!!! Gotta call it like I see it, and to be an "offensive" coach, Gus has recruited the hell outta some defensive players! Very impressive.

is that really your only beef on holland? do tell me exactly why you got kicked off??

is that really your only beef on holland? do tell me exactly why you got kicked off??

Seriously...stupid comment of the day. Holland wasn't an All-Star but it had nothing to do with his skin color.

A lot of people in this thread are SUPER pumped about us being "stacked" at the LB position. Sorry, but I just want to see some of these guys live up to the hype before I declare us "stacked". I don't care how many stars they have or what their measurables are, I want to see it on the field.

Justin Garrett is a guy who was reportedly coming on very strong before his injury last year(like best player on the defense strong). If he's back to 100% I'd think he'll be contending for some serious PT. Sucks that he and Cadillac- another standout- essentially play the exact same position.

Quoting chimesAU: "Sorry, but I just want to see some of these guys live up to the hype before I declare us "stacked". I don't care how many stars they have or what their measurables are, I want to see it on the field."

Careful there, chimes. I've been cussed from hell to breakfast for pointing out that their on-field accomplishments have been ordinary at best. I'd love to see them do it up bigtime, but our returning LB's have yet to make the long leap from where they've been to top of the line SEC players.

Quoting chimesAU: "Sorry, but I just want to see some of these guys live up to the hype before I declare us "stacked". I don't care how many stars they have or what their measurables are, I want to see it on the field."

Careful there, chimes. I've been cussed from hell to breakfast for pointing out that their on-field accomplishments have been ordinary at best. I'd love to see them do it up bigtime, but our returning LB's have yet to make the long leap from where they've been to top of the line SEC players.

No Mikey, that's not the position you have expressed. Your position has been "Our linebackers are not all sec quality and we need to start freshman because the guys we have will never be all sec quality." So are you officially changing your position?

@ N2AU: Depends on the situation. Could be a LB too.

Yea like a dime package with K Frost left in the middle. Prob be an awesome set if you think about it. Like a Hybrid 4-3/dime.

@ N2AU: Depends on the situation. Could be a LB too.

Yea like a dime package with K Frost left in the middle. Prob be an awesome set if you think about it. Like a Hybrid 4-3/dime.

Cass and Frost flipped positions this Spring. Cass is expected MLB now. Not sure who would play MLB in 1 LB sets though.

Archived