Can this trend continue?

Every year since 2009, except 2011, we've had a QB catch a pass to some varying degree of success, I believe that will continue and Malzahn will hopefully design a play around the QB catching a pass

And just for reference 2009: Kodi, 2010: Cameron, 2012: Kiehl, 2013: Nic

Are you referring to the inadvertant catch that Nic made of his own pass against Miss State? Or was there another I wasn't thinking of?

But to your point, I do think that a throw to the QB is a cool twist. You would have to think though that we have so many good receivers, that we shouldn't have to rely on such a play. They are fun to watch though.

who would throw it to NM?

Roc Thomas would make some sense, though I don't know about his arm. But if he comes in, you figure he's going to get the ball. Defense will key on him,. Send him out wide on either a sweep or a swing pass. Have him throw back to Nick.

Gus will always use subterfuge as a means of determining what plays he calls, however, i feel the more we become a fundamentally sound squad Gus will use less and less "trick" plays. :dunno:

Gus has thrown out of the backfield with both Quan Bray and Trovon Reed. It's part of the trend with him signing so many ATH that played QB in high school.

It seems like as the year went on we used fewer trick plays. I honestly can't remember any trick plays after the LSU game.

Uzomah and Bray both played some quarterback in high school; Uzomah actually has a touchdown pass in his college career

Uzomah was my first thought. That's why I changed to Roc. Gus and Rhett could set the play up over the course of the season, bringing Roc in for predictable plays, establishing a tendency for Ds to key on, then -- BOOM! War Eagle!

I'm sure they're already on it.

Marcus Davis and Stanton Truitt played QB in HS as well.

Also, Nick caught a pass back on last play against FSU IIRC...

With NM constantly carrying out run fakes after handing the ball off, I envision a jet sweep with NM handing to Grant and NM carrying out the run fake as always. Grant laterals to Bray on what looks like a reverse, but instead Bray pulls up and throws to NM.

Uzomah and Bray both played some quarterback in high school; Uzomah actually has a touchdown pass in his college career

I would want Truitt to be the guy who throws it.

Every year since 2009, except 2011, we've had a QB catch a pass to some varying degree of success, I believe that will continue and Malzahn will hopefully design a play around the QB catching a pass

And just for reference 2009: Kodi, 2010: Cameron, 2012: Kiehl, 2013: Nic

In 2013 Nick Marshall caught his own pass fora sizable gain. Now that's something you don't see every day.

I've always thought if your qb can run, your rb should be able to at least throw the ball out of bounds and beyond the line of scrimmage when they get strung out wide on an outside running play. Maybe even hit an open man instead of taking a loss. AU linemen know the rules about going upfield.

I've always thought if your qb can run, your rb should be able to at least throw the ball out of bounds and beyond the line of scrimmage when they get strung out wide on an outside running play. Maybe even hit an open man instead of taking a loss. AU linemen know the rules about going upfield.

^^^this... I'm not sure why this happens the way it does. It seems like a running back could be trained to know when he's about to take a loss and just throw it out of bounds

While these plays are cool and all, I don't think they're really that necessary for our offense to perform. I don't think we'll lose any games this season because we didn't do a QB pass. I'd rather see brilliance at the basics, which enable us to win games, than having sexy trick plays that are pleasing to the eye.

Roc Thomas would make some sense, though I don't know about his arm. But if he comes in, you figure he's going to get the ball. Defense will key on him,. Send him out wide on either a sweep or a swing pass. Have him throw back to Nick.

C.J played QB, Quan played QB, I think that's essentially it since Trovon moved

^^^this... I'm not sure why this happens the way it does. It seems like a running back could be trained to know when he's about to take a loss and just throw it out of bounds

I think its because you're trained to keep pushing for a gain, and plus when some of the best athletes in the world are running towards you at full speed to try to tackle you, your thoughts are VERY limited

Gus will always use subterfuge as a means of determining what plays he calls, however, i feel the more we become a fundamentally sound squad Gus will use less and less "trick" plays. :dunno:

I can't think of a reason that helps the AUburn football team with using trick plays

I can think of multiple monetary reasons however

If the running back throws the ball away to prevent lost yardage, its a penalty for intentional grounding.

Archived