Double Standard Much DOD?

Weegle777

This ought to set off a crap storm of comments. Found the section copied below especially hypocritical.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/07/25/military-bars-troops-from-attending-vacation-bible-school/

But I believe this soldier’s observations and analysis truly sum up our nation’s current state of affairs.

“I will never understand why it’s okay for the military to march in a gay pride parade but not be allowed to spend an hour talking to children who look up to them (soldiers),” the Guardsman said. “I honestly never thought I’d see the day that this would happen in my hometown.”

In June, the Department of Defense gave permission for a military color guard to march in Washington, D.C.’s gay pride parade. It marked the first time in history the U.S. Army Military District of Washington participated in the parade.

Pastor Hogan said the entire incident is both appalling and ludicrous.

“I don’t think most Americans realize how much their religious liberty is in jeopardy,” he said. “If they did this to us – how bad is it somewhere else? This is not just a big city issue. This is a small town America issue. Americans need to wake up.”

Welcome to the age of enlightenment, Pastor Hogan - where the military can march in a gay pride parade but they can’t hang out with six-year-olds at Vacation Bible School.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“They told me that federal policy prohibits them from doing anything with any specific church,” Kelley said. “The guys on the state level did everything they could. I have great respect for our local Missouri National Guard. But we are dealing with an over-burdensome federal regulation.”

The Missouri National Guard did not return my calls for comment – but it doesn’t matter. Kelley sent me a copy of the Army regulation.

It states: “Army participation must not selectively benefit (or appear to benefit) any person, group, or corporation (whether profit or nonprofit); religion, sect, religious or sectarian group, or quasi-religious or ideological movement.”

Posting it again doesnt change my opinion. It's not the same. The gay pride parade was a civic parade and as such a military group can march in it.

IMO, it's not healthy for the Baptist Church or the country to glorify war. "God's rescue squad"?

Patriotism is fine and we should honor and support our military, but this is a little over the top. We need to be far more realistic about the nature of war and the military's role in it.

Yep and it's not the same thing. We march in a whole host of parades.

You are correct. False equivalence.

No he isn't, and you aren't correct.

IMO, it's not healthy for the Baptist Church or the country to glorify war. "God's rescue squad"?

Patriotism is fine and we should honor and support our military, but this is a little over the top. We need to be far more realistic about the nature of war and the military's role in it.

They aren't glorifying war, they are honoring these brave soldiers who provide freedom for us.

Posting it again doesnt change my opinion. It's not the same. The gay pride parade was a civic parade and as such a military group can march in it.

I see both sides of the coin on this one. Parades are civic in nature but there's no reason why they shouldn't participate in religious ceremony in uniform representing their faith. After all, we end our swearing in with "So Help Me God". Just my take.

I attend church all the time in my uniform. There is no DoD policy against it. In the context of this, there is a policy against it. What prevented the group from going to the NG armory for a tour?

They aren't glorifying war, they are honoring these brave soldiers who provide freedom for us.

Letting kids crawl around a Humvee is glorifying war. Marching in a civic parade is not.

And from a practical administration basis, I imagine the latter is budgeted, while the former is not. I think the pastor is making a mistake by making an issue of this. Who in the future qualifies for the "visit" and who doesn't? Based on what?

Letting kids crawl around a Humvee is glorifying war. Marching in a civic parade is not.

And from a practical administration basis, I imagine the latter is budgeted, while the former is not. I think the pastor is making a mistake by making an issue of this. Who in the future qualifies for the "visit" and who doesn't? Based on what?

So if kids "crawl" around an H3, or a green jeep, is that glorifying war? You are big time reaching on that one. And this officer said that he didn't want to offend anybody, but he sure didn't care about offending those church people did he?

Prior to the last six years, in how many gay pride parades has the military marched?

So

So if kids "crawl" around an H3, or a green jeep, is that glorifying war? You are big time reaching on that one. And this officer said that he didn't want to offend anybody, but he sure didn't care about offending those church people did he?

So then you would have no problem if they went to a Mosque to celebrate Eid al Fitr rather than a Church during Bible school?

Prior to the last six years, in how many gay pride parades has the military marched?

I think two. San Diego and DC.

I think two. San Diego and DC.

Can you confirm that?

San Diego

http://www.cnn.com/2...ary-gay-parade/

DC

http://www.washingto...0499_story.html

I believe that's it. I'll do some research.

I am relatively certain both of these instances have happened within the last 6 years. I could be wrong.

San Diego

http://www.cnn.com/2...ary-gay-parade/

DC

http://www.washingto...0499_story.html

I believe that's it. I'll do some research.

I am relatively certain both of these instances have happened within the last 6 years. I could be wrong.

Sorry i misread your question. I would say none since DADT was the policy prior to 2011.

Archived