Better combo. Marshall & Mason or Cam & Dyer?

Too different to really compare. "Better" is relative. Scheme adjusted to play to each pair's skillset/strengths. That said...2010's Cam and 2013's Mason would be my pick. (Yes, I mix and match.)

Cam and Dyer. Dyer was the real deal in 2010, regardless of what happened later. Nick Marshall, while exciting and explosive, is no Cam Newton.

As a combo, Marshall and Mason. The way they worked the fakes was just beautiful -- unless you were trying to defend against them.

On the individual basis, Cam>Marshall; Mason>Dyer, but in combo, I think the threat of Marshall/Mason>Newton/Dyer. Like previous poster stated, part of that is due to the threat of Newton aided Dyer.

I would take Newton/Dyer over Marshall/Mason. Dyer and Mason are equals in my eyes. Newton > Marshall. They almost had the same power but Cam rarely got tackled for losses. He was a bull dozer with Corvette speed.

Marshall and Mason, in Fantasy of course I would take Newton and Mason. Dyer was a great player no doubt but Mason was a more complete back IMO.

Mason is better than Dyer in every facet as a rb. Newton is better than everyone by a longshot as a qb. The best combo goes to Cam/Dyer no thanks to Dyer.

Because of the chemistry between them on the zone read, I give the edge to Marshall/Mason. If those are true reads, both guys have to make the same read in less than a second or they risk a fumble. I don't think they had more than a couple of mishandled exchanges all season. That's the only concern I have about this year's offense--whether Nick can develop that same chemistry with our other RBs.

Marshall & Mason were incredible at being on the same page like they could read each other's mind. Both were juniors while Dyer was a freshman playing with Cam. Sure, Cam was huge and his threat helped Dyer but had Cam returned for his senior year (and Gus had freedom) I think the Cam/Dyer duo would have ratcheted up another notch. I would love for the Marshall & CAP/Grant/Barber/Roc gang to have some jaw dropping numbers this year.

War Eagle !

the chemistry between marshall and mason on the read option was better. It got to the point where commentators are saying there was no option, it was called that way ... which was probably correct on some of the plays, but not the majority of what we saw.

On the individual basis, Cam>Marshall; Mason>Dyer, but in combo, I think the threat of Marshall/Mason>Newton/Dyer. Like previous poster stated, part of that is due to the threat of Newton aided Dyer.

^^^This^^^

Cam is clearly the better QB. The big difference is Malzahn tailored his option running game for his talent. Cam was a better inside runner, so the primary running option play was the inverted veer. Marshall is better on the perimeter, so the primary option was the inside zone read. Overall, the Marshall/Mason read option was a thing of beauty. Against Tennessee I was almost laughing at their DEs left grasping at air.

the chemistry between marshall and mason on the read option was better. It got to the point where commentators are saying there was no option, it was called that way ... which was probably correct on some of the plays, but not the majority of what we saw.

Malzahn does have called plays that look like the option. You can only tell by watching the blocking. I think these plays are intended to force the play in a direction to keep the threat there, as well as observe the defensive reaction.

But what is also interesting is we sometimes blocked the DE, and read the ILB. If the ILB scraped outside, Marshall left the ball with the RB. If the ILB respected the RB, Marshall kept. This was a brutal counter to the scraping ILB, a common method to defend the zone read.

It was all of this variety and variations (executed we'll, I might add) which made our running game so hard to defend.

Best combo would be Vincent Edward Jackson and Lionel James.

Maybe.

Caddy and Ronnie would give them a run for their money.

Marshall and mason as a combo. Cam a better threat at qb, while mason was a better rb than dyer. It's the zone read that decides it in the end, because Marshall was Houdini with the football and ran it to perfection. No one knew who had the ball a lot of times during games, even the announcers and cameramen were faked out by Marshall

Cam and whoever you put with him. When did you ever see cam not get that one yard we needed?

I'd take Cam and Chandler Shakespeare over any other QB-RB combo ever at AU. Cam was a man among boys and had he played another season, yes it would have been harder behind a less experienced OL, but he would have unquestionably the best college football player ever.

I was gonna chime in but I don't think I could say it any better than this. Right on.

Archived