Malzahn protege takes HC job @ Hewitt-Trussville

au_bsci_04

Looks like Hewitt-Trussville has hired Josh Floyd as their new football coach and AD. He is a Malzahn protege and has coached the last 10 years in Arkansas, winning a lot of games. His offense will resemble that of AUs. No doubt this will be a nice assistance with recruiting in the future.

Looks like Hewitt-Trussville has hired Josh Floyd as their new football coach and AD. He is a Malzahn protege and has coached the last 10 years in Arkansas, winning a lot of games. His offense will resemble that of AUs. No doubt this will be a nice assistance with recruiting in the future.

Good to hear. Thanks for posting.

Does Hewitt trussville have any potential big time recruits in the upcoming classes?

Lee Guess was a tiger and cox's best WR as well as the best WR in the state back then. But nowadays not very many prospects.

Not many atm. Point being that Gus and Josh have a great relationship and I'm sure there will be discussions on how to prepare those HT players for our offense. This is no different than Hoover running Bama's offense. Just need to develop the players.

I just moved from Trussville to Atlanta. People around there are excited about this hire. My nephew will get to play for him in 2 years. Trussville has the population, capital and resources to now compete with the big boys of Alabama HS football. It has been years since HT has been relavent in football.

Cole256

I may have thrown a little bias in there since I played with both Cox and Guess at Hewitt but all he did his senior year was set the 6a state record with 93 catches for 1,341yds and 12 tds. Also returned 27 kickoffs for 810 yds and a td and blocked 3 field goals. As a junior he had 87 catches-1,252yds -11ds. 2 time all state and all region team. So yeah I would say one of the best. He beat out a younger Chad Jackson for top WR his senior year.

So yeah I guess a bad year indeed.

Other than Brandon Cox & Jay Barfer has Hewitt produced other Division 1 players?

They've had a few, but not many SEC players. The player that people forget is Jason Standridge who committed to Terry Bowden, but was drafted in the first round in baseball in 1997.

Standridge would have been one of the best at AU! He's actually still playin ball in Japan...

This is true. His father told me that it was a hard decision not to go play football and baseball at AU. U just don't pass up being a 1st round draft pick in any pro sport. Great family.

Lee guess was the state's best wr? Must have been a bad year

Actually, it was a pretty good year for receivers. Guess was just better than the rest of them.

You have to remember also that the rise of Clay\Chalkville High School a lot of the talent in the HT area is now just a couple miles down the street. Clay has been beating HT in the dirt in football lately. Actually Clay had a QB sign with Tubby this year. Good program but still a part of the Jefferesion County school system. Lots of money in Trussville but money doesn't buy talent until they get serious and start recruiting athletes away from the new Center point high, springville, clay, and Pinson. Then you'll see the return of HT to a decent team.

Not many atm. Point being that Gus and Josh have a great relationship and I'm sure there will be discussions on how to prepare those HT players for our offense. This is no different than Hoover running Bama's offense. Just need to develop the players.

What do you mean by that? Hoover runs a no-huddle spread offense

Since Standridge has never played college football, what if he hung up his glove and wanted to walk on at Auburn to see if he could still play QB for the Tigers. Do you think Gus would give Jason a shot?

I know that Tyler Stovall walked on last year to be a punter after spending bunch of years with the Richmnd Braves or some other team.

Since Standridge has never played college football, what if he hung up his glove and wanted to walk on at Auburn to see if he could still play QB for the Tigers. Do you think Gus would give Jason a shot?

I

I know that Tyler Stovall walked on last year to be a punter after spending bunch of years with the Richmnd Braves or some other team.

Stovall never made it past instructional league but yeah your right. He is only 24 and eligible to play college football

So, take this to the next level.

How many Malzahn players are now in coaching and where are they?

(secondary and college)

That would be a good subject for somebody's master degree thesis. A correct answer would take a lot of research and it's also shooting at a moving target.

Wow.....$120K for coaching a HS program....hope HT's academic programs have all the computers, books, etc. they need because otherwise, all this outside money to hire this guy is nuts. Happy for him but this kind of hire sounds like the bammer solution to a football problem.

Lee guess was the state's best wr? Must have been a bad year

Actually, it was a pretty good year for receivers. Guess was just better than the rest of them.

Wasn't close to being the best, but the fact that you said that sort of displays how you might just say ANYTHING in sake of wanting to argue

Archived