Malzahn protege takes HC job @ Hewitt-Trussville

au_bsci_04

Wow.....$120K for coaching a HS program....hope HT's academic programs have all the computers, books, etc. they need because otherwise, all this outside money to hire this guy is nuts. Happy for him but this kind of hire sounds like the bammer solution to a football problem.

It includes salary for 3 different positions. He is a teacher, head football coach, and AD. I believe in the state of AL a coach is required to be a teacher as well (?). If they had a separate AD, that salary would be paid out anyways. Take away the $40k AD salary and he is making $25k less per year than coaches at Vestavia, Hoover, etc.

Lee guess was the state's best wr? Must have been a bad year

Actually, it was a pretty good year for receivers. Guess was just better than the rest of them.

Wasn't close to being the best, but the fact that you said that sort of displays how you might just say ANYTHING in sake of wanting to argue

Obamanu and Courtney Taylor were also Alabama natives in the same 2002 recruiting class with Guess. Even though you are right that Guess wasn't the best receiver in the state that year, you perturb me by scoffing at the idea that he was. He was one of my favorites when he played and he certainly was one of Brandon Cox's favorites in that class.

I'm sorry if I perturbed you but I can't help but to scoff at someone saying he was the best when he was more like the 4th our 5th. Heck one of my favorite corners for auburn was Zach Gilbert. Walk on not thought of ended up working to a point where we was a player on the field. A modern day Rudy story. Great work ethic, great character, great man he now mentors guys on the team now....he wasn't close to being a better corner than Powers. Just what it is nothing personal

Actually, it was a pretty good year for receivers. Guess was just better than the rest of them.

That has to be sarcasm lol, not only because there was a 5* WR in the state that year, but it was a horrendous year for talented WR's in the state. Lee Guess (who I liked) was a 2* Receiver. Obamanu, from Selma, was a 5*. That being said it wasn't a great year for WRs in the state, Grant Brigham was the #2 listed WR in the state as a 3* and went to Vandy . I think there were only 5-7 other WR's listed and they were all 2* or NR, so really it wasn't that great of a year in the state for WRs. Only 6 ended up committing to colleges. Auburn-2 UAB-2 Southern Miss-1 Vandy-1. Not that great of a year IMO.

Wow.....$120K for coaching a HS program....hope HT's academic programs have all the computers, books, etc. they need because otherwise, all this outside money to hire this guy is nuts. Happy for him but this kind of hire sounds like the bammer solution to a football problem.

It includes salary for 3 different positions. He is a teacher, head football coach, and AD. I believe in the state of AL a coach is required to be a teacher as well (?). If they had a separate AD, that salary would be paid out anyways. Take away the $40k AD salary and he is making $25k less per year than coaches at Vestavia, Hoover, etc.

I understand that but those other two jobs are supposed to be full time positions aren't they? Since football seems to be the primary issue here, most likely the other positions (which are full time assignments) are going to get done in his spare time. I'm just saying this is a farce IMO...and people wonder why the state's kids rate so poorly in national testing.

Other than Brandon Cox & Jay Barfer has Hewitt produced other Division 1 players?

In football, a buddy of mine (Brian Bozeman) played LB at UAB. He almost layed a lick on D. Craig when they came to AU his JR year. Brian had a bead on him and DC just side stepped him at the last second. That was 94-98. In basketball, Justin Gunn went to uat a few years ago.

I'm sorry if I perturbed you but I can't help but to scoff at someone saying he was the best when he was more like the 4th our 5th. Heck one of my favorite corners for auburn was Zach Gilbert. Walk on not thought of ended up working to a point where we was a player on the field. A modern day Rudy story. Great work ethic, great character, great man he now mentors guys on the team now....he wasn't close to being a better corner than Powers. Just what it is nothing personal

I can agree with that. Guess was no slouch in high school though . He broke the 6a record for catches in a season . Guess and Cox were a modern day version of Sullivan to Beasley in high school. Guess just had too many good receivers in front of him at Auburn.

Bah, and how could I forget my boy Adali Trone. We graduated together and he played at AU from 95-99. Played DB.

Also, Brent Key. He played OL at GT (not sure what years, his older brother was in my grade) and is now coaching OL at UCF.

Wasn't close to being the best, but the fact that you said that sort of displays how you might just say ANYTHING in sake of wanting to argue

Obamanu and Courtney Taylor were also Alabama natives in the same 2002 recruiting class with Guess. Even though you are right that Guess wasn't the best receiver in the state that year, you perturb me by scoffing at the idea that he was. He was one of my favorites when he played and he certainly was one of Brandon Cox's favorites in that class.

Also, Courtney was listed as an ATH. Just like Montae Pitts, Will Herring, etc. Obamanu and Guess were the only true WRs that were signed from the state

Well someone has to be the highest paid high school coach in the State so more power to him as far as I'm concerned. Check out how much top level coaches make in Texas, FL, GA, etc. This is no different.

Guess was the best high school receiver in the state and the numbers back it up. There, there, now. Does that make you feel better?

I'm fine, make me feel better? Do you feel worse? like I said you saying such things shows you really don't have substance in all your posts. Sometimes you say things just to say them

That has to be sarcasm lol, not only because there was a 5* WR in the state that year, but it was a horrendous year for talented WR's in the state. Lee Guess (who I liked) was a 2* Receiver. Obamanu, from Selma, was a 5*. That being said it wasn't a great year for WRs in the state, Grant Brigham was the #2 listed WR in the state as a 3* and went to Vandy . I think there were only 5-7 other WR's listed and they were all 2* or NR, so really it wasn't that great of a year in the state for WRs. Only 6 ended up committing to colleges. Auburn-2 UAB-2 Southern Miss-1 Vandy-1. Not that great of a year IMO.

Too much sense in this post

Guess was the best high school receiver in the state and the numbers back it up. There, there, now. Does that make you feel better?

Mikey, Obamanu was a 5* and the #32 overall prospect and he was from Selma, AL. Lee Guess was a 2* WR so how does that make him the best WR in the state that year? Super Prep even named Obamanu the top player in AL then. Just because he had good numbers doesn't mean he was the best because there are many variables that can skew numbers in Highschool. Such as also having Brandon Cox as his QB. From what I can find Obamanu had nothing that helped him to the affect of Guess having Cox as his QB. If you're going on your own personal opinion thats one thing, but based on recruiting analysts and other rankings he was not the best WR in the state.

He is currently 35 years old.

I pointed Jason to this thread and he said yours was the correct answer. :)

Archived