Years ending with "3", "4"

RunInRed

More fun with random off-season numbers ...

1983: 11-1

1993: 11-0

2003: 8-5

2013: 12-2

1984: 9-4

1994: 9-1-1

2004: 14-0

2014: TBD

I know this is almost heretical, but I don't care about the playoff or the national title. My goal for this season is to do something no one has done since Peyton Manning and Tee Martin at UT. I want to repeat as SEC champs. The rest will take care of itself. We haven't really posted dominant back-to-back seasons in while. 2004/2005 was great, but fell flat when we missed Atlanta the second year. 1993/1994 were great, but fell flat because of probation. I want to win the SEC. Nothing else really matters to me.

How about back to back 10 win seasons as the first goal. Then back to back SEC champs, then back to back National Championship Game.

Get to Atlanta. If we get to Atlanta, chances are we are playing for a CFP slot.

That said, let's take it one step at a time. First step: Beat the hog. But enough about Bielema. Beat the Razorbacks.

Recent Auburn coaches in their 2d year:

Chiz: 14-0 (after going 8-5)

Tubbs: 9-4 (after 5-6)

Bowden: 9-1-1 (hey, where do you go after 11-0)

Dye: 9-3 (after 5-6)

Remember, Gus has NEVER worked with a college QB that went through 2 entire season cycles in his system. Yet.

Unbelievable AU has never had back to back 10 win seasons. Get to the 10th without losing one and that will be huge.

Is this a real stat?

No AU has had back to back 10-win seasons only once in 1988-1989.

Yeah, that's the correct stat. I still say repeat in the SEC. That's the crazy "hasn't been done since" thing that every SEC team is chasing. Since the start of the SEC title game, only two teams have ever won back to back titles: Florida won four straight (1993-1996, which they wouldn't have done if we'd been eligible in 1993) and Tennessee won back to back in 1997 and 1998.

I want to add our name to that list. That would be a really big deal.

I think about it like this, in the 70s 80 90s 00s and 10s Auburn has had Heismans, Conference titles, and NC claims. Anything prior to 1980 is irrelevant.

I think about it like this, in the 70s 80 90s 00s and 10s Auburn has had Heismans, Conference titles, and NC claims. Anything prior to 1980 is irrelevant.

I'm guessing players on our 9 undefeated teams before 1980 would like to speak with you.

Unbelievable AU has never had back to back 10 win seasons. Get to the 10th without losing one and that will be huge.

Is this a real stat?

We played less games in the past.

Is this a real stat?

Unfortunately yes. But always a first. 89 10th win was a bowl win. Was meaning regular season. My bad.

Milnewd, that's definitely true. I mean we had back-to-back undefeated seasons in 57 and 58, but we tied one game which means we only won 9 games the second year. Obviously with one more game on the schedule, that 1958 team probably wins 10 games, but they only played 10 and didn't win them all.

Still, in the modern era where teams routinely played 12 games or more (11 regular season), we have had back-to-back 10-win seasons only once.

Is this a real stat?

10-win seasons are a bit overblown when taking into consideration that the regular season was only 10 games up until 1969 or '70 if I recall. Gong further back teams would not schools may not have always scheduled 10 games due to weather and travel constraints in an era with primitive road and highway infrastructure.

10 win seasons didn't become a benchmark of sorts until well into the ESPN generation.

Archived