Phillip Marshall: Auburn better than last year

RunInRed

A fun preseason read (free content via AUC) ...

I expect Auburn to have a very good football team, probably a better one than last season’s SEC championship team. That might not translate into a better record.

I expect the defense to be way yonder better and more consistent than it was last season.

I expect quarterback Nick Marshall to have a big year and improve dramatically throwing the ball, though I continue to say he was pretty darned good throwing it last season.

I expect Auburn to pile up rushing yards. Will it lead the nation for the second consecutive season? I expect it to be close.

I expect Gabe Wright to do big things on the defensive line.

I expect junior college transfer wide receiver D’haquille Williams to live up to the hype.

I expect Sammie Coates to leave after next season as one of the better receivers in Auburn history.

I expect Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost to give Auburn the best pair of linebackers it has had in some time.

I expect Corey Grant to do big things running and receiving, but I expect Cameron Artis-Payne to be the bellcow among the running backs.

I expect Trovon Reed to blossom as a cornerback after spending four years at wide receiver.

I expect numerous newcomers to make significant contributions.

I expect LaDarius Owens to have a big year at defensive end.

I expect Reese Dismukes to be the best center in the SEC if not in college football.

I expect Auburn to take on a schedule that includes six nationally ranked teams and five difficult road games and win most of them.

I expect a tremendous roar when cancer survivor Shon Coleman is introduced as a starter for the first time.

I expect Auburn to be in the championship hunt deep into the season.

So, what do you expect?

Can't say I disagree with any of that. The whole "better team but not a better record" is a very real possibility.

I expect "way yonder better" to be something I say more often.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. We have every reason to agree with his optimism.

The article was nice, thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure we are going to have a great season, but I'm interested to see how this playoff system effects us in the end.

The name that seems missing from this list is Justin Garrett ...

My question as well...

Probably just took the first 15 (or whatever #) plausible ideas he came up with. It is tough to churn out that volume of content in pre-season, pre-practice days of the year I imagine. That said, I too expect big things from Justin. I think we will be better and hopefully we make the playoff. Our defense is going to have to be the difference in some games this year if we make it though.

I expect "way yonder better" to be something I say more often.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. We have every reason to agree with his optimism.

Indeed Phillip's expectations are way yonder better than I expected.

I do think we'll be one of the best teams in the country and that we have a tough schedule. However, it seems to me that usually the best teams win the most games regardless of schedule, so I'm just not good with the whole "We might be better but lose more games." I think that's like offering up excuses before the season has even begun. We should expect another trip to the SEC championship at the least and we'll let the playoff committee figure out the rest.

I believe that our guys are pissed off, and that a bloody, butchered pig will still be left on the field on August 31st.

.....and God help whomever comes after that.

I believe that our guys are pissed off, and that a bloody, butchered pig will still be left on the field on August 31st.

I can get behind some of that. I will bring the Chicken Comer's BBQ sauce!

I worry more about injuries than the schedule, road or home. No major injuries, no major problems, Gus and Ellis are that good with all the talent!

We do have a couple un-tested kickers, so we will have to watch the special teams play as well.

I worry more about injuries than the schedule, road or home. No major injuries, no major problems, Gus and Ellis are that good with all the talent!

We do have a couple un-tested kickers, so we will have to watch the special teams play as well.

Yup. Special teams may be our down fall in a game this year. I say may because we just don't know.

I don't buy the whole better team but not a better record. Everyone is saying our schedule is so tough, but who on our schedule is supposed to be better than they were last year? UGA maybe, but I'm not sold on Hudson Mason, and Richt has proven to be pretty average. Other than UGA....Bama, LSU, A&M, and South Carolina all have question marks, especially at the QB position.

As for us, teams typically make their biggest improvements from year 1 to year 2. We have a super talented roster returning, and Gus is just not going to get out-coached. He isn't the most proven coach in the country yet, but I already think he's the most talented. So I don't think the tough schedule is going to matter. I think we could be THAT dominate, that we only have 1 or 2 close games the whole year.

Yep. The injury bug seems to feed upon itself. We've already lost Lawson and there are rumors about Kozan. I expect 9-3 or 10-2. We had a lot of cliffhangers go our way last year and that might not happen again. A&M, MSU, UGA and Bammer all fell our way. FSU was the only close loss. We can't expect to win 80% of the last-second games every year.

Yep. The injury bug seems to feed upon itself. We've already lost Lawson and there are rumors about Kozan. I expect 9-3 or 10-2. We had a lot of cliffhangers go our way last year and that might not happen again. A&M, MSU, UGA and Bammer all fell our way. FSU was the only close loss. We can't expect to win 80% of the last-second games every year.

That's true; can't wait to find out!

LMBO! YEAH! War eagle buddy! No complacency round these parts

no man! sweet baby ray's bbq sauce is the way to go! ;D

We had close games at the end of the season because we were young and after getting ahead we took plays off.

These guys have bee hearing all year long how lucky they were. They are mad and gonna blow teams out

I expect to have a good team and thoroughly enjoy the entire season. I have no expectations for w/L #s. That will take care of itself.

no man! sweet baby ray's bbq sauce is the way to go! ;D/>

Careful now ... Barbecue is one of the few things that inspires passions as intense as college football. :big:

no man! sweet baby ray's bbq sauce is the way to go! ;D/>

Careful now ... Barbecue is one of the few things that inspires passions as intense as college football. :big:

lol yeah true that

Archived