Phillip Marshall: Auburn better than last year

RunInRed

I believe that our guys are pissed off, and that a bloody, butchered pig will still be left on the field on August 31st.

.....and God help whomever comes after that.

I can get behind some of that. I will bring the Chicken Comer's BBQ sauce!

Did someone say Chicken Comers????!!!!

I know where I'm heading for lunch!

We burned the very best defenses in the nation last year at what they did best.

This year, I expect a more balanced offense, which translates into a more deadly offense. The Gus Bus is going to be Scary!

I expect a better defense, especially in the back 7. The LB switch, getting Garrett and Holsey back, moving Reed to CB, and adding Moncrief will ALL make a significant difference back there.

I expect 2 AU losses, 1 early & 1 late, yet we'll still be in the final 4 conversation in December. Our achilles heal will again be giving up big plays on D, although the D overall will be less bad. Our O will be legendary so long as Gus is calling the shots. Post season individual awards galore for some guys on this team.

I still say watch for Nick & Jeremy to be switching in & out A LOT during games by design by October.

I expect 2 AU losses, 1 early & 1 late, yet we'll still be in the final 4 conversation in December. Our achilles heal will again be giving up big plays on D, although the D overall will be less bad. Our O will be legendary so long as Gus is calling the shots. Post season individual awards galore for some guys on this team.

I still say watch for Nick & Jeremy to be switching in & out A LOT during games by design by October.

Hate to disappoint u but, it Won't happen, .......................13seconds!!

I don't buy the whole better team but not a better record. Everyone is saying our schedule is so tough, but who on our schedule is supposed to be better than they were last year? UGA maybe, but I'm not sold on Hudson Mason, and Richt has proven to be pretty average. Other than UGA....Bama, LSU, A&M, and South Carolina all have question marks, especially at the QB position.

As for us, teams typically make their biggest improvements from year 1 to year 2. We have a super talented roster returning, and Gus is just not going to get out-coached. He isn't the most proven coach in the country yet, but I already think he's the most talented. So I don't think the tough schedule is going to matter. I think we could be THAT dominate, that we only have 1 or 2 close games the whole year.

If Coker is even decent, Alabama becomes pretty freaking good on paper, they improve on every position they were bad on last season. Plus I think LSU could be even more dangerous if Brandon Harris is good, that's a dangerous running game if they run a ton of option, which will probably happen with OBJ and Landry gone

not saying they'll necessarily be better than Auburn, but they could be very scary

The name that seems missing from this list is Justin Garrett ...

My question as well...

I expect Therezie to outplay Garrett. I thought the former would have been mentioned.

Can't say I disagree with any of that. The whole "better team but not a better record" is a very real possibility.

This is actually my big fear. We had a good run with some good fortune. While I in no way expect a losing season winning the SEC will be a tough nut to crack. Can we win it again? yes!

How is being a better team than previous get u losses? Unless the team ur playing is better than u is the only way I see it happening. As for anyone on auburns schedule being better this year than AU, I just don't see it! Playoffs.............Bank it!

I don't buy the whole better team but not a better record. Everyone is saying our schedule is so tough, but who on our schedule is supposed to be better than they were last year? UGA maybe, but I'm not sold on Hudson Mason, and Richt has proven to be pretty average. Other than UGA....Bama, LSU, A&M, and South Carolina all have question marks, especially at the QB position.

As for us, teams typically make their biggest improvements from year 1 to year 2. We have a super talented roster returning, and Gus is just not going to get out-coached. He isn't the most proven coach in the country yet, but I already think he's the most talented. So I don't think the tough schedule is going to matter. I think we could be THAT dominate, that we only have 1 or 2 close games the whole year.

If Coker is even decent, Alabama becomes pretty freaking good on paper, they improve on every position they were bad on last season. Plus I think LSU could be even more dangerous if Brandon Harris is good, that's a dangerous running game if they run a ton of option, which will probably happen with OBJ and Landry gone

not saying they'll necessarily be better than Auburn, but they could be very scary

Alabama is young in the secondary and on O-line. Coker might be good but he's still a question mark. LSU lost basically all their skill players on offense.

We almost won the ship last year being one dimensional on offense and with a first year staff. We will not have those issues this year and we are returning a ton of talent. Plus I already think Gus is the best coach in the country. If we aren't playing for the West when we go to Tuscaloosa I will be extremely surprised because I think this COULD be the best team Auburn has ever put on the field.

^ yep

Losing Lawson hurts but this team is great. Our air attack is going to be scary good which is going to make our running game that much better. If we can come out of the gate fast we've got a great chance of being in the NC mix. UGA and bama at home are the obstacles and I fear UGA more. We've got a pretty good record in tuscaloser.

The majority of our tough games come on the back end of the schedule. Auburn's great teams with Gus at the helm have traditionally gotten better throughout the season and been virtually unstoppable by the end of it. If we continually improve every week like we did last year and in 2010, and basically start where we left off at A-Day, our team could be SCARY good going into the road stretch at the end.

My question as well...

I expect Therezie to outplay Garrett. I thought the former would have been mentioned.

I think Garret replaces Frost. Just a hunch. Therizie must be on the field.

Our won/loss record is better against bammer in Tuskaloser than in Auburn and it's also better against the DullDawgs in Athens than in Auburn. Playing those two on the road should be a benefit for us, not a problem.

My question as well...

I think Garret replaces Frost. Just a hunch. Therizie must be on the field.

Agreed

Isn't KF MLB? I don't think I see JG sliding over from star to MLB. If anything maybe slide CM over to middle and Frost outside w/ RT as star? I don't know, I've been really busy so I'm sure I'm way out of the loop of what's going on in terms of positions.

"I expect LaDarius Owens to have a big year at defensive end."

IMHO, this is the key. If our DL can consistently bring pressure, no one can beat us but ourselves.

I don't think Garrett will replace anybody. I think Garrett being back just allows Coach E to have more flexibility with sub packages and personal. Garrett, Therezie, Frost, will all see plenty of playing time. I expect the defense to be a lot better than anyone thinks this year because the added depth allows Coach E a lot more options. Last year we had to adapt and played pretty vanilla on defense because the back 7 was thin. This year that will not be the case, hopefully.

Isn't KF MLB? I don't think I see JG sliding over from star to MLB. If anything maybe slide CM over to middle and Frost outside w/ RT as star? I don't know, I've been really busy so I'm sure I'm way out of the loop of what's going on in terms of positions.

Frost has been moved to OLB. That was done in the spring. McKinzy is now the MLB.

The majority of our tough games come on the back end of the schedule. Auburn's great teams with Gus at the helm have traditionally gotten better throughout the season and been virtually unstoppable by the end of it. If we continually improve every week like we did last year and in 2010, and basically start where we left off at A-Day, our team could be SCARY good going into the road stretch at the end.

Great point, so excited to see what this team can do at its peak. Just have to get out of the blocks great this year. Just feels like there is no room for error.

Archived