AU home & home vs Clemson

keesler

It's just amazing to me how shallow people can be. People here act like just because we agreed to a home and home with Clemson that we didn't try to talk to anybody else. It's probably the most ridiculous conclusion (with zero facts) that I've seen here. Some of you need to step away from the ledge and quit blaming Jacobs for everything when it doesn't suit you. It's like it never occurred to any of you that our AD was in contact with multiple other schools and THEY said no for whatever reason they had. Putting all the blame on Jacobs is just being uninformed and drawing a ridiculous conclusion with zero facts to support it.

Well...was Jacobs in touch with numerous other schools and they all turned him down? If so, who were they?

No one outside the athletic dept knows for sure. But it's more logical to assume he did contact multiple schools than he only talked to Clemson. They may not have all said no, but Clem was the first to say yes. Others would likely still be in discussion about future years.

I like it, but 5 games in 8 years is a little much, unless out is a conference rival.

I would love to see us play Nebraska again. We had a home-and-home with them in the early 80s when they were very good and we were very bad. We also played them in the Cotton Bowl a few years ago.

We played Neb in 82 and 83. Early Pat Dye years. We weren't too bad in 82 and I think Neb was our only loss in 83.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just amazing to me how shallow people can be. People here act like just because we agreed to a home and home with Clemson that we didn't try to talk to anybody else. It's probably the most ridiculous conclusion (with zero facts) that I've seen here. Some of you need to step away from the ledge and quit blaming Jacobs for everything when it doesn't suit you. It's like it never occurred to any of you that our AD was in contact with multiple other schools and THEY said no for whatever reason they had. Putting all the blame on Jacobs is just being uninformed and drawing a ridiculous conclusion with zero facts to support it.

Well...was Jacobs in touch with numerous other schools and they all turned him down? If so, who were they?

No one outside the athletic dept knows for sure. But it's more logical to assume he did contact multiple schools than he only talked to Clemson. They may not have all said no, but Clem was the first to say yes. Others would likely still be in discussion about future years.

I like it, but 5 games in 8 years is a little much, unless out is a conference rival.

I would love to see us play Nebraska again. We had a home-and-home with them in the early 80s when they were very good and we were very bad. We also played them in the Cotton Bowl a few years ago.

We played Neb in 82 and 83. Early Pat Dye years. We weren't too bad in 82 and I think Neb was our only loss in 83.

Texas was our loss in '83......but we still should have been national champs

I seem to remeber reading somewhere that Nebraska,Michigan,and Notre Dame were all willing to play but it had to be either a 2 for 1 or a home and neutral sight game.

Phillip Marshall said something like this. I frankly would rather play Clemson -- or anyone -- home and home than give in to schools that won't deign to visit Jordan-Hare.

Clemson is a nice match up, but not exciting. I know they beat us in 2011 and 2012, but those were average and historically bad Auburn teams vs two great teams (10 wins and an Acc title in '11, 11 wins including a bowl win vs LSU in '12) for Clemson. Historically, we dominate them, 34-13-2. I f we went ACC we should have gotten GT, one of our best historic rivals with some big, exciting finishes, or FSU, who we also dominate all time. However, at least FSU has been a national power since the 90's, so we get national cred for beating them.

If we were going for a pretty good team that is nationally know (which is what Clemson is), we should have gotten BYU. They are exciting because of their offense and we are not familiar with them. The west coast would respect us for playing them, and ESPN televise practically all their games!

On the other hand, our natty team barely beat a 6-7 Clemson squad at home. To be fair, it was before Cam really became, well, Cam. To those wanting match-ups with tOSU and Oregon, is it because you're worried a weak OOC schedule would tank us ala '04? Because the CFB landscape today couldn't be more different than it was ten years ago. The SEC had four teams that finished in the top 25 in '04. It has six teams that will be ranked in the top 25 this pre-season. As long as we're in the SEC, we will get into the four team playoff if we win the conference, a task much easier to do with a lighter schedule.

Oh, and playing Clemson is much less costly than playing opponents out west. Lower transport costs for the team, for the band, and for the fans.

Since AU won't see them again until handguns are replaced with handphasers, hows about a home-and-home with UF, except book it as a non-conference contest?

Texas was our loss in '83......but we still should have been national champs

Yep, you're right. Sorry for the memory lapse. It was 81 and 82 we played Neb. Lost both but hung with them real close for 3 qtrs up there.

I seem to remeber reading somewhere that Nebraska,Michigan,and Notre Dame were all willing to play but it had to be either a 2 for 1 or a home and neutral sight game.

Phillip Marshall said something like this. I frankly would rather play Clemson -- or anyone -- home and home than give in to schools that won't deign to visit Jordan-Hare.

I agree one thousand percent. If those teams were not willing to do home and home, then good for JJ for looking elsewhere. Those 3 teams all know they would get CRUSHED in Jordan-Hare.

There is nothing wrong with a home and home with Clemson. It will get plenty of coverage. And if AU takes care of business in those games, we'll be in great shape.

Clemson is a nice match up, but not exciting. I know they beat us in 2011 and 2012, but those were average and historically bad Auburn teams vs two great teams (10 wins and an Acc title in '11, 11 wins including a bowl win vs LSU in '12) for Clemson. Historically, we dominate them, 34-13-2. I f we went ACC we should have gotten GT, one of our best historic rivals with some big, exciting finishes, or FSU, who we also dominate all time. However, at least FSU has been a national power since the 90's, so we get national cred for beating them.

If we were going for a pretty good team that is nationally know (which is what Clemson is), we should have gotten BYU. They are exciting because of their offense and we are not familiar with them. The west coast would respect us for playing them, and ESPN televise practically all their games!

On the other hand, our natty team barely beat a 6-7 Clemson squad at home. To be fair, it was before Cam really became, well, Cam. To those wanting match-ups with tOSU and Oregon, is it because you're worried a weak OOC schedule would tank us ala '04? Because the CFB landscape today couldn't be more different than it was ten years ago. The SEC had four teams that finished in the top 25 in '04. It has six teams that will be ranked in the top 25 this pre-season. As long as we're in the SEC, we will get into the four team playoff if we win the conference, a task much easier to do with a lighter schedule.

Oh, and playing Clemson is much less costly than playing opponents out west. Lower transport costs for the team, for the band, and for the fans.

The fiscal responsibility is a good thought but two teams that'd be, in my opinion, more interesting are wvu and Miami. While neither will be ranked as highly as Clemson, they're name programs in name conferences.

And Phil's a jackpot winner hitting it right on the money.

I recall over the last 10 years or so where articles would occasionally surface specifically about Michigan and Notre Dame spurning home and home requests with AU for the aforementioned alternatives. This is where I fail to understand why some wish to play these schools. I've heard the argument before regarding the media hyped prestige and mystique surrounding these schools. That may have mattered through the 90's but holds little water now. We're in information age where people gravitate towards whats trending--and neither of them are. AU has done more in 2010 and 2013 than either of those schools combined since the turn of the millennium.

If we can't meet on simple terms, then its bowl game or bust as far as the likelihood of an encounter.

I wonder what the Climpson fans think about this???? The same as most of you???

It's not the most desirable matchup I had in mind, but hey...as already mentioned, Clemson's improved a lot, thanks to an OC who was a student of the Gus.

If the AU-lite wants to get it on, then let the track meet begin.

What the heck is JJ thinking about? Oh wait, that's it. He's NOT thinking. Why not open in Jerry Dome in 2016 & 2017? Alabama is and it's only going to help their program even more.

That just flat out sucks. In 2010, JJ said no to ESPN who wanted to line up a season opener between Auburn and UCLA in the Georgia Dome. Now this bull crap.

If Clemson was the best we could do then I would have said no to their AD because we've played them enough the last few years. I'd rather us play North Carolina, NC State, Baylor, Stanford, Iowa, Miami, etc..... I don't care about ranking, I care about seeing an interesting matchup. This was probably the most bland matchup we could get.

I'm more excited about seeing the Kansas State game this year and the Louisville game in 2015 than I am about seeing Clemson in 2016 and 2017.

And Phil's a jackpot winner hitting it right on the money.

I recall over the last 10 years or so where articles would occasionally surface specifically about Michigan and Notre Dame spurning home and home requests with AU for the aforementioned alternatives. This is where I fail to understand why some wish to play these schools. I've heard the argument before regarding the media hyped prestige and mystique surrounding these schools. That may have mattered through the 90's but holds little water now. We're in information age where people gravitate towards whats trending--and neither of them are. AU has done more in 2010 and 2013 than either of those schools combined since the turn of the millennium.

If we can't meet on simple terms, then its bowl game or bust as far as the likelihood of an encounter.

I really have a hard time believing these rumors due to Michigan, and Notre Dame's scheduling patterns. Michigan has a home and home scheduled with Arkansas soon and the Cowboy Kickoff with Florida. They even played a home and home with UConn recently. We definitely have a better reputation than Arky and UConn. Notre Dame scheduled a home and home with UGA and have done Tennessee in the past. It would baffle me why they would have to have a 2-1 deal to play a team like Auburn when they've done much less for similar or lesser opponents. If the rumors are true, then there's something seriously wrong.

Personally, I'm not happy about playing Clemson yet again. There is no national audience for this game. No wow factor. No recruiting payoff. Nothing, really, that benefits Auburn, other than strength of schedule.

That said, I think WT is probably right. I think JJ probably did really try to get some high profile teams to agree to a home and home with Auburn. But the reality of the situation is that, for teams coming from afar, and for their fans, the logistics of coming to Auburn is daunting. Clemson is no more of a travel stretch for our fans or theirs than a conference game.

That said, I would much rather a home & home with FSU rather than Clemson. But I kinda suspect that FSU wants nothing to do with playing Auburn again. They've got an easy road to the playoff every year. Losses to Auburn would screw up their plan.

You gotta think that Clemson feels pretty much the same about playing Auburn again. I mean, they play South Carolina every year. They've been playing UGA and Auburn. I imagine their fans are just as perturbed.

I'm not pissed at Jacobs, I'm just confused. Just tired of playing Clemson. 5 times in 7 years??? Really??? Was there really no one else Jay?? ANYONE?? It's great for SOS but but I just can't understand what he was thinking. How could he think this would excite the fan base and attract attention nationally?? Hell, people who don't follow football probably think we play in the same conference!! Don't get it.

Whatevs. I just hope we don't play them in a bowl game in the next decade or so. Not. One. Time.

OTOH, if we smite them both times, the taste of Dabo's tears might just make it all worth it.

ZZzzz. Wake me when this snoozer is over.

It will probably be a game between two top 10-15 teams. If you want to sleep through that that's your problem.

Okay, I will. It is my opinion that this was an easy option when more interesting options are out there. You are free to have your opinion. I'm sure there are big name programs willing to play AUburn in a home and hone series but this was an easy way out to say a "big time" opponent had been scheduled. If you're satisfied with Clemson AGAIN, that's your problem.

It's your opinion without any facts. And if my problem is wanting to watch Auburn play a potentially top ten team that we owe then I can live with that.

And you have no facts that an attempt was made to schedule other opponents. It's all conjecture. Clemson is an easy boring game. It'll be about how we are brother programs of heisman and Morris being Gus like. Bla bla bla. I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it. I don't care if they're top 10 or not. It's a product of being in the acc (see the number of years in a row that USC has beaten them)I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game. I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn. On a side note, I feel confident Oregon would've scheduled a home/home being they've went to Baton Rouge and Knoxville . Also, I'd be more interested in a Boise state match up. Also, while a part of the AUMB, I slept during most of the '98 peach bowl against Clemson.

Hang on, hang on...Do you honestly not see the irony in saying:

"I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it...I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game." and then following it immediately with " I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn."

I'm pretty sure sleeping through the bowl game when you were in the marching band is pretty much the textbook example of being "less supportive."

I'm honestly not trying to badmouth you. It was just a really incongruous thing to see said.

Also: if Chad Morris is still at Clemson in 2016, I really can't wrap my head around the assertion that a matchup between those two offenses would be...boring.

Also also: while both the statements "other teams were contacted" and "other teams were not contacted" are both assertions with no evidence, the idea that "no other teams were contacted" is patently ridiculous. Unless you honestly believe Jay Jacobs just sits in his office and stares off into the middle distance, I guess. I mean...the guy is the Athletic Director. He probably has a dozen calls a week with other ADs from other schools. Future schedules and future series are press released all the time, and there's a lot of work that goes into making them. The idea that he just kinda sits there and has nothing to do with them is not an opinion that is grounded in any kind of reality.

Aside from that: We know nothing of the situation. Even if this were a spur of the moment thing, which it more than likely was not, you know what's an equally likely scenario? That Dan Radakovich called him first and said "hey, Jay, how's about a home & home? we miss you."

As for people saying "I'd rather play Maryland," or "Bring on Boston College!" or "Let's play Duke!"...do you actually listen to yourself talk? You would rather play a team that, over the past 3 years has gone 2-10, 4-8, and 6-7 while wearing uniforms that look like they were picked by a 3 year old on LSD, instead of a team that's gone 10-4, 11-2, and 11-2 with 1 conference championship and 2 BCS bowl game appearances? Are you on something?

Seriously, the amount of whining in this thread is pretty special.

Didn't realize WarTiger was Jay Jacobs' body guard. Just kidding WT take it easy.

Fact

Of the matter is, like someone previously posted, there are home and home games scheduled with far more interesting teams. We just scheduled WestVa and Kansas State recently for goodness sake. It's not that Clemson isn't high profile enough or that it won't be a good game, it's just been done....very recently...and a lot.

Knowing JJ like I do, I suspect we picked Clemson because the numbers/travel were pretty good for both sides, we've had recent experience with interactions between the two athletic departments and it was the easy and safe pick. What I am saying, and many others it appears, is lets have a more exciting opponent. I literally can't think of another div 1 major conference team that I'm less excited about seeing except maybe gaTech.

I can think of several teams myself. I'd love to see a home and home vs Baylor. I think an Auburn/UCLA game would be kinda neat. Ditto for Oklahoma or OKST. But I can think of several more worse teams than teams I'd like to play. Syracuse. Illinois. Minnesota. Iowa State. Hell, Iowa. I like the matchup vs KState...but Kansas University would make me drink myself to a stupor.

There's more than just picking the phone up to get this settled out. The PAC-12 plays 9 conference games, which limits their opportunities for OOC opponents. Everybody wants to play USC and UCLA right now, but there's only so many spots for people, especially considering that this home and home is 2 years from now.

Also: I think people are forgetting something. We had a home and home scheduled with GA Tech for the 2017 and 2018 season. Before Dan Radakovich left Ga Tech for Clemson, they pulled out of the series. I don't know if we ever replaced it with someone, and it sorta makes sense to replace the ACC game that's an historic rivalry with another ACC game that's also kind of a rivalry.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/11/auburn-georgia-tech-cancel-2017-18-football-series/

ZZzzz. Wake me when this snoozer is over.

It will probably be a game between two top 10-15 teams. If you want to sleep through that that's your problem.

Okay, I will. It is my opinion that this was an easy option when more interesting options are out there. You are free to have your opinion. I'm sure there are big name programs willing to play AUburn in a home and hone series but this was an easy way out to say a "big time" opponent had been scheduled. If you're satisfied with Clemson AGAIN, that's your problem.

It's your opinion without any facts. And if my problem is wanting to watch Auburn play a potentially top ten team that we owe then I can live with that.

And you have no facts that an attempt was made to schedule other opponents. It's all conjecture. Clemson is an easy boring game. It'll be about how we are brother programs of heisman and Morris being Gus like. Bla bla bla. I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it. I don't care if they're top 10 or not. It's a product of being in the acc (see the number of years in a row that USC has beaten them)I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game. I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn. On a side note, I feel confident Oregon would've scheduled a home/home being they've went to Baton Rouge and Knoxville . Also, I'd be more interested in a Boise state match up. Also, while a part of the AUMB, I slept during most of the '98 peach bowl against Clemson.

Hang on, hang on...Do you honestly not see the irony in saying:

"I don't like the scheduled opponent and I may or may not watch it...I for sure slept through 90% of the last Clemson game." and then following it immediately with " I don't feel like my dissidence makes me any less supportive of AUburn."

I'm pretty sure sleeping through the bowl game when you were in the marching band is pretty much the textbook example of being "less supportive."

I'm honestly not trying to badmouth you. It was just a really incongruous thing to see said.

Also: if Chad Morris is still at Clemson in 2016, I really can't wrap my head around the assertion that a matchup between those two offenses would be...boring.

Also also: while both the statements "other teams were contacted" and "other teams were not contacted" are both assertions with no evidence, the idea that "no other teams were contacted" is patently ridiculous. Unless you honestly believe Jay Jacobs just sits in his office and stares off into the middle distance, I guess. I mean...the guy is the Athletic Director. He probably has a dozen calls a week with other ADs from other schools. Future schedules and future series are press released all the time, and there's a lot of work that goes into making them. The idea that he just kinda sits there and has nothing to do with them is not an opinion that is grounded in any kind of reality.

Aside from that: We know nothing of the situation. Even if this were a spur of the moment thing, which it more than likely was not, you know what's an equally likely scenario? That Dan Radakovich called him first and said "hey, Jay, how's about a home & home? we miss you."

As for people saying "I'd rather play Maryland," or "Bring on Boston College!" or "Let's play Duke!"...do you actually listen to yourself talk? You would rather play a team that, over the past 3 years has gone 2-10, 4-8, and 6-7 while wearing uniforms that look like they were picked by a 3 year old on LSD, instead of a team that's gone 10-4, 11-2, and 11-2 with 1 conference championship and 2 BCS bowl game appearances? Are you on something?

Seriously, the amount of whining in this thread is pretty special.

Point taken about '98 but part of that was due to me being of legal age and being out until 0200 and then having to be up early for practice and honestly, 2012 really was boring. I understand the SOS arguments and all but to me this is as bland as saltine crackers. FWIW, I don't think Morris will be there beyond this year.

Archived