How fast should they go?

WFE12

Hey guys, i know coach gus said that the team would move faster, but question is, how much faster? Is there a chance it backfires on us, like maybe at times we 3 & out so fast that the defense gets tired from going out so much or maybe...just maybe(know yall are like "here we go") we have injuries(God forbid). Should i just chill and not worry at all or what?

I never notice our offense going THAT fast unless we pick up first downs. And the point about tiring our defense, I think, is often blown out of proportion. For example, we put up 59 points against Mizzou and out-possessed them by almost 10 minutes. Same goes for the UGA game. Also, I expect/hope that our defense will get more three-and-outs of their own this year. All that to say...I think the faster the better--so long as execution doesn't diminish.

I never notice our offense going THAT fast unless we pick up first downs. And the point about tiring our defense, I think, is often blown out of proportion. For example, we put up 59 points against Mizzou and out-possessed them by almost 10 minutes. Same goes for the UGA game. Also, I expect/hope that our defense will get more three-and-outs of their own this year. All that to say...I think the faster the better--so long as execution doesn't diminish.

well said.

Another thought too: Since our 2010 and 2013 teams were similar (fast, great offenses and defenses that were less than stellar) I think it is interesting that in 2010 there was more justifiable concern over tiring our defense because of our offensive mindset. However, I think the reason it didn't seem to be as much of an issue in 2013 is because of the depth we have now on defense that we didn't have in 2010. Last year, our defensive line seemed to get stronger throughout the game because of how many guys we rotated--making that defensive strategy the perfect mate for our offense IMO.

Another thought too: Since our 2010 and 2013 teams were similar (fast, great offenses and defenses that were less than stellar) I think it is interesting that in 2010 there was more justifiable concern over tiring our defense because of our offensive mindset. However, I think the reason it didn't seem to be as much of an issue in 2013 is because of the depth we have now on defense that we didn't have in 2010. Last year, our defensive line seemed to get stronger throughout the game because of how many guys we rotated--making that defensive strategy the perfect mate for our offense IMO.

yeah...forgot about that, the team has great players at every position who will rotate in

I wonder how much lesser our D really is. Look at what they did to FSU. Every player on that team had their worst game - by far - against us. A kick return and fake punt were the saving graces of that game. Same with Oregon in 2010 (though the field may have played a role in this one).

Gus states in his HUNH book that if you are going to commit to the HUNH, you cannot be worried about defensive numbers or ToP:

"You cannot worry about your total time of possession." TOP used to mean something. When football was more of a field-position game, teams wanted to hold the ball as much as they could. After all, the other team couldn't score if they didn't have the ball. But modern offenses don't need seven minutes of game clock to grind out 70 yards for a score. Big plays often determine who wins and who loses, not who holds the ball the longest.

"You cannot worry about your defensive statistics." If a team can get four more possessions and 30 more plays in a game, the opponent is also going to get more possessions and plays. Consequently, a total numbers of a defense on a HUNH team will suffer. No longer can that defense expect to hold teams under 10 points a game, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful at stopping the other team. The fundamentals still matter, but the perspective has to change.

No, I haven't read it: http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2014/7/29/5932783/hurry-up-no-huddle-gus-malzahn-auburn

Feel free to be worried about going "too fast" if you don't think Gus and this offense will score on a higher percentage of their possessions than the opponent, but do so at your own peril and in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Steve Shaws cronies will be the only thing slowing AU down, it will be a favor for his god Nick Saban. They are already talking about that the refs will not be rushed by the offense and that they will give the defense ample time to substitute. Smh

I know it can be hard to tolerate some of my responses......but in honor of E's contributions and suggestions.......a repeat of Ludicrous Speed is how fast.

The speed, in part, is to increase the number of plays and possessions. This decreases the odds of a fluke outcome. It's in Gus' book.

Gus states in his HUNH book that if you are going to commit to the HUNH, you cannot be worried about defensive numbers or ToP:

"You cannot worry about your total time of possession." TOP used to mean something. When football was more of a field-position game, teams wanted to hold the ball as much as they could. After all, the other team couldn't score if they didn't have the ball. But modern offenses don't need seven minutes of game clock to grind out 70 yards for a score. Big plays often determine who wins and who loses, not who holds the ball the longest.

"You cannot worry about your defensive statistics." If a team can get four more possessions and 30 more plays in a game, the opponent is also going to get more possessions and plays. Consequently, a total numbers of a defense on a HUNH team will suffer. No longer can that defense expect to hold teams under 10 points a game, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful at stopping the other team. The fundamentals still matter, but the perspective has to change.

No, I haven't read it: http://www.collegean...-malzahn-auburn

Feel free to be worried about going "too fast" if you don't think Gus and this offense will score on a higher percentage of their possessions than the opponent, but do so at your own peril and in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

i like that quote, i am no longer inclined to believe that could hanker us, faster is indeed better

Archived