2015 3* JUCO DT Terrien Steele (Faulkner signee)

bikeriderga

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems as though very few Dline recruits coming from Jr College pan out. Coaches need to be awefully sure about a Jr College Dlineman before pulling the trigger.

It seems as though very few Dline recruits coming from Jr College pan out. Coaches need to be awefully sure about a Jr College Dlineman before pulling the trigger.

True. Nick Fairley was a good decision though.

That's true, and interesting to me because you would think that it would be one of the most plug'n'play position groups on the field.

We have two right now that I believe we were fortunate to get in Lambert and Lawrence. DT as been one of the better positions out of JUCO over the years.

We have two right now that I believe we were fortunate to get in Lambert and Lawrence. DT as been one of the better positions out of JUCO over the years.

Besides Fairley... ?

There's a fair chance that Lambert and Lawrence are the real deal- I have hopes for Lawrence in particular- but until they are, they aren't.

Besides Fairley... ?

There's a fair chance that Lambert and Lawrence are the real deal- I have hopes for Lawrence in particular- but until they are, they aren't.

Could be wrong but I think Dixie was saying DT was one of the most consistent positions out of juco period. For example, every juco DL that signed and enrolled at an SEC school the past 6 years has been at minimum very solid on the 2 deep for his team.

Besides Fairley... ?

Could be wrong but I think Dixie was saying DT was one of the most consistent positions out of juco period. For example, every juco DL that signed and enrolled at an SEC school the past 6 years has been at minimum very solid on the 2 deep for his team.

Except Bono?

Except Bono?

Thought he was in the 2 deep for a while?

He might have been. If he was he didn't do much.

Neither he nor Raven Gray ever made an impact.

Except Bono?

Those two were D-ends.

Except Bono?

Those two were D-ends.

I know that but E said all of the DL not just DEs.

Except Bono?

Those two were D-ends.

I know that but E said all of the DL not just DEs.

DT's. See post #10. Dixie said DT's. Somehow that got expanded to DL, but if you read the whole thread, the statement was about DT's.

Out of curiosity I went back and considered every non-high school defensive line signee between 2003-13. I didn't include the 2014 guys because they haven't played yet.

By my count we've signed six JC and two prep school prospects. One of them, Bradley, is slated to start at Nose Tackle. Fairly was an obvious home run. Way, way back in 2003 we signed a JC DL name Tony McClain that I kind of remember being at least a contributor. He played in the Arena League for a little while so he couldn't have been a complete slug. Bonomolo came in with an existing injury (shoulder, I think), had surgery, but was never really a factor. Official site lists one tackle.

I'm not sure if either prep school kid ever made it to campus.

But what we ALL remember are those two BIG misses.

For those keeping score: Two JC DL were good enough to start. Two were complete busts. One was hurt before he got here. One I can't really remember. We've had a success rate in the neighborhood of 50%, which is pretty good compared to high school kids over the same period. (Seriously, looking back at some of those classes, it's impressive we were even able to field teams, much less be competitive in the division. It was bad for a long time.)

One other thing that did stand out, our success rate with blue chip offensive linemen was dreadful. Had it not been Auburn it would have been hilarious. You can just about count on one hand how many four or five star OL panned out over a ten-year stretch and most of them are recent enough to still be on the team. Granted, at least two of them had injury issues (and one of them turned out to be a POS), but that's still really, really bad.

WDE!

Out of curiosity I went back and considered every non-high school defensive line signee between 2003-13. I didn't include the 2014 guys because they haven't played yet.

By my count we've signed six JC and two prep school prospects. One of them, Bradley, is slated to start at Nose Tackle. Fairly was an obvious home run. Way, way back in 2003 we signed a JC DL name Tony McClain that I kind of remember being at least a contributor. He played in the Arena League for a little while so he couldn't have been a complete slug. Bonomolo came in with an existing injury (shoulder, I think), had surgery, but was never really a factor. Official site lists one tackle.

I'm not sure if either prep school kid ever made it to campus.

But what we ALL remember are those two BIG misses.

For those keeping score: Two JC DL were good enough to start. Two were complete busts. One was hurt before he got here. One I can't really remember. We've had a success rate in the neighborhood of 50%, which is pretty good compared to high school kids over the same period. (Seriously, looking back at some of those classes, it's impressive we were even able to field teams, much less be competitive in the division. It was bad for a long time.)

One other thing that did stand out, our success rate with blue chip offensive linemen was dreadful. Had it not been Auburn it would have been hilarious. You can just about count on one hand how many four or five star OL panned out over a ten-year stretch and most of them are recent enough to still be on the team. Granted, at least two of them had injury issues (and one of them turned out to be a POS), but that's still really, really bad.

WDE!

Nice research! Names would help those of us with feeble memories, but I can see why you might be reluctant to post them.

Some people have a lot of time for important leisure activities.

DT's. See post #10. Dixie said DT's. Somehow that got expanded to DL, but if you read the whole thread, the statement was about DT's.

I was responding to JFDTiger80's comment, which was about defensive linemen- not just DTs. Either way, I'm probably operating on a misperception, as Madtown Tiger's excellent research suggests. Happy to be proven wrong on this one.

Except Bono?

Gray was not in the past 6 years though,

Except Bono?

Nor did I say he was. Jesus.

Except Bono?

Nor did I say he was. Jesus.

If I remember correctly, Raven Gray was a 5 Star. Too bad it did not work for him.

Archived