It's Changing . . . Auburn Fandom

GBAU83

It’s beginning to change. . . . Auburn Fandom. Let me explain my point of view.

I grew up in central Alabama in the late 60’s and 70’s when Bear and Alabama were kingpins. Similar to this timeframe, look at the NFL, NMA and MLB – the only teams in the region were from Atlanta or New Orleans and basically they sucked. Thus a huge following of college football. Well, those following college football tended to back Alabama unless they had a tie to Auburn. (Face it, most people want to pull for a winner and back in those days Alabama was a winner and won several legitimate national titles.) Thus was born the “sidewalk fan” or “I got my shirt at Wal-mart” Bama fan and trailer parks everywhere were filled with the bammer nation. While those of us who were or became Auburn fans, did so because of some tie/loyalty to the University. My first college football game, I was a Scout and we were there to hand out game programs (that is what got us in the stadium) and it was at AUBURN. Years later, my oldest brother was off to college at AUBURN. So whatever fandom I had or developed was based on ties to AU (not because of a football team). I can truly say, my being part of Auburn is because of FAMILY. I later attended/graduated from Auburn.

So for us to talk about the Auburn Family when it comes to fans, it makes sense (at least to me) because most (not necessarily all) of the fans we have developed from some family member who went to Auburn and loyalty followed. Whereas across the state, fandom was based strictly on a winning football team. But now we have both, a great University with many fans from family ties that has developed some winning sports programs (not just football).

Why I say it is beginning to change? Well, I think we are now starting to get more an d more fans because of the positive image and winning ways of several of our sports programs. My evidence comes from a co-worker who told me this week that his youngest son (age 11) has decided he is an Auburn fan. Dad is not a huge Bama homer, but would lean more Bama than otherwise, Mom is OkState, older son is Bama. Why did the younger choose AU without a family tie – our positive sports image and winning programs.

And don’t get me wrong, nothing wrong with a fan for whatever reason. Glad to have anyone who supports our Orange and Blue. And I know we probably have two generations of bammer fans to still overcome, but it is changing where we will have more and more of the state (and out of state) as Auburn fans. To them, I say “WAR EAGLE, hope to see you on the Plains soon!”

• 4 weeks later...

I would agree with your post Coach. I also think that universities no longer have JUST a regional/state following. Due to the national exposure college football gets right now, there are AU fans all over the south and country. :wareagle:

Well.....I would like to agree with you but I can't . I came from a family without any ties to the University . My fandom was born from not wanting to be one who conformed to the norm . All family that attended college went to bama .I decided that I didn't want to be a douche elitist at an early age . I didn't like the way they treated others and looked down their noses at others . I looked at Auburn and the way their people acted and that was what I wanted to be . Hence , an Auburn fan was born . By they way ...... This was 1972......

Well.....I would like to agree with you but I can't . I came from a family without any ties to the University . My fandom was born from not wanting to be one who conformed to the norm . All family that attended college went to bama .I decided that I didn't want to be a douche elitist at an early age . I didn't like the way they treated others and looked down their noses at others . I looked at Auburn and the way their people acted and that was what I wanted to be . Hence , an Auburn fan was born . By they way ...... This was 1972......

Is that you Bo? Oh wait, 1972.

This is an astute thread IMO. I love our consistent winning ways but (since it's all about me) miss tailgating pretty well anywhere I wanted on campus if I just arrived 6 hours before game time. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s beginning to change. . . . Auburn Fandom. Let me explain my point of view.

I grew up in central Alabama in the late 60’s and 70’s when Bear and Alabama were kingpins. Similar to this timeframe, look at the NFL, NMA and MLB – the only teams in the region were from Atlanta or New Orleans and basically they sucked. Thus a huge following of college football. Well, those following college football tended to back Alabama unless they had a tie to Auburn. (Face it, most people want to pull for a winner and back in those days Alabama was a winner and won several legitimate national titles.) Thus was born the “sidewalk fan” or “I got my shirt at Wal-mart” Bama fan and trailer parks everywhere were filled with the bammer nation. While those of us who were or became Auburn fans, did so because of some tie/loyalty to the University. My first college football game, I was a Scout and we were there to hand out game programs (that is what got us in the stadium) and it was at AUBURN. Years later, my oldest brother was off to college at AUBURN. So whatever fandom I had or developed was based on ties to AU (not because of a football team). I can truly say, my being part of Auburn is because of FAMILY. I later attended/graduated from Auburn.

So for us to talk about the Auburn Family when it comes to fans, it makes sense (at least to me) because most (not necessarily all) of the fans we have developed from some family member who went to Auburn and loyalty followed. Whereas across the state, fandom was based strictly on a winning football team. But now we have both, a great University with many fans from family ties that has developed some winning sports programs (not just football).

Why I say it is beginning to change? Well, I think we are now starting to get more an d more fans because of the positive image and winning ways of several of our sports programs. My evidence comes from a co-worker who told me this week that his youngest son (age 11) has decided he is an Auburn fan. Dad is not a huge Bama homer, but would lean more Bama than otherwise, Mom is OkState, older son is Bama. Why did the younger choose AU without a family tie – our positive sports image and winning programs.

And don’t get me wrong, nothing wrong with a fan for whatever reason. Glad to have anyone who supports our Orange and Blue. And I know we probably have two generations of bammer fans to still overcome, but it is changing where we will have more and more of the state (and out of state) as Auburn fans. To them, I say “WAR EAGLE, hope to see you on the Plains soon!”

I pretty much exactly you experience. Grew up,in central Alabama. Had an uncle, a sister and finally a brother all go to Auburn. Got into the scouts and we were there a lot of Saturdays. Headed to the plains in 1972 and stayed an extra fall when I was a senior so I could go through another football season. I was in Legion Field the day Punt Bama Punt happened and I still remember it like it was yesterday. It bugs me to no end to hear redneck Bammer "fans" who never set foot on that campus beating their chest about the Mighty Tide. Really? What the heck do you have to do with any of it? I realize the legitimate alumni of the school down the road are not to blame for the actions of the those idiots, but it sure does get old listening to that crap. It stands to reason that our fan base is going to change if and when the recent success continues, but I hope it never gets to be like that.

I know I'm biased but don't discount the impact the ROTC unit has. There's a bunch of us out planting the flag in various places around the world.

Archived