Updyke dunk tank

WFE12

Phillip Marshall :

Tell Harvey Updyke he doesn't matter

Just as the City of Auburn is unveiling the new Toomer’s Corner, a project made necessary by Updyke’s criminal act of poisoning the beloved oak trees that stood there for 130 years, here he is again.

Updkye, according to an ESPN.com report, has agreed to appear at a charity event Sept. 27 in Mobile and allow fans to either dunk him in a dunking booth or throw pies at his face.

The man has no shame.

T.J. Hodges, an Alabama fan who near Chicago, is organizing the event to help raise money for the family of John Oliver, a boy from outside Mobile who died of cancer in July. Hodges started a nonprofit organization, “Roses From Linda,” after his mother died. It’s purpose to help raise money for family members to visit terminally ill patients before they die.

Former Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron and his mother are helping organize the event.

That’s a wonderful cause. It would be great if lots of Auburn folks gave lots of money. But I would hope they would stay away from the Harvey Updyke Show and tell him by their absence that he just doesn't matter.

The story of what Updyke did is well-known.

He poisoned the trees in 2010 and famously bragged about it on the Paul Finebaum Show. Most people assumed it wasn’t true, but when the trees were tested, it sadly was true. The trees died and had to be removed.

He ruined a beloved Auburn tradition. He embarrassed Alabama fans. He showed the nation the face of an aging man whose entire sense of self-worth was invested in a college football team.

In 2013, Updyke pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful damage of an animal or crop facility. He was sentenced to six months in jail and served 76 days after being credited for 104 days of time already served.

He got off easy. Too easy. And now he is coming back to bask in his infamy again.

"The Harvey Updyke idea came from me thinking outside the box to raise money for the family," Hodges told ESPN.com. "I thought I'd take a chance and see if Harvey was interested in helping, and he said he'd do whatever we wanted."But Updyke is no celebrity. He shouldn’t be treated like one. Dunking booths, pies in the face and such are meant to be fun. There’s nothing fun about Updyke or what he did.

Updyke's wife, Elva, said he realizes Auburn fans probably will show up at the event to take a shot at him.

"He knows there's going to be a lot of Auburn fans there, but he doesn't care," Elva Updyke said. "He's 65 years old. What are they going to do to him? They'll have security there."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillip Marshall has a story out about Updyke's role in an upcoming charity event, and I think it's well worth a read.

Updyke has agreed to sit in a dunking booth or have pies thrown in his face as part of the event. Marshall argues that Updyke isn't a celebrity and shouldn't be treated like one. Therefore, even though it's for a good cause, he urges Auburn fans simply to ignore Harvey.

I didn't know where to post this, since it's not football, and it's really not rivals football, either. But I do think folks should consider Marshall's advice -- with which I agree.

ETA: If you need an emetic, just visit the Bam's 247 board's reaction to the news.

:slapfh:

I'd only participate if I could get Updyke on the back forty of my place and throw cat poop on him. Otherwise, I ain't playin'.

Target practice with birdshot now, that would be fun. Anything bigger than birdshot would result in too quick of a death.

All Auburn fans should treat Updyke like a persona non grata and have nothing to do with Updyke, ever. If folks want to contribute to the family whose child died, send a check directly to them, not to the organizer of this event.

Were it not for posts like these, I'd never have heard of this 'event'.

But still, there ought not be even 1 AU fan anywhere near that dunking booth. Though it doesn't matter, even if no true Auburn fans are there, you know that espn will stage it to look like some AU fans came out to have a good time and dunk updyke.

Exactly, Auburn fans should tell the family or organizer of the event that they will donate if they drop upd... from the event. Somebody thought it would be a revenge type of thing for us to dunk him. WRONG!! Nothing so trivial would ever be considered revenge for that. There is only one revenge that needs to be done. And God will take care of that at the time of upd's death.

I think a lot of bama fans see this guy as some sort of loveable misfit type, instead of a mentally impaired criminal. They don't have the ability to empathize. If some nut destroyed the Bear statue, they would put the perpetrator on the same level as bin laden. I'm not exaggerating.

I really hope no AU fans show up for this. I don't care what the cause is if updyke is involved I want no part in it and I don't want anyone associated with AU to be a part of it.

A.J. McCying and his Mother helping to organize the event. Just shows how ignorant, clueless and classless they are!!

Obviously McCrying and his Mother need a Proper Etiquette class!! Just a freaking couple of classless bammers, that obviously don't know or care about how dangerous and psychologically sick, Updyke's stunt was!

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/PMARSHONAU-Tell-Harvey-Updyke-he-doesnt-matter-30461071

"Former Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron and his mother are helping organize the event"

Unfortunately, it is going to end up the worst amongst us that actually show up and AU will end up the spectacle. Hopefully, no AU fans show.

Exactly, Auburn fans should tell the family or organizer of the event that they will donate if they drop upd... from the event. Somebody thought it would be a revenge type of thing for us to dunk him. WRONG!! Nothing so trivial would ever be considered revenge for that. There is only one revenge that needs to be done. And God will take care of that at the time of upd's death.

ITA

If they put him in an open septic tank and charge us 20$ each to piss on him I will drive 5 hours. You disgrace auburn and the charity by showing up for this. A dunking booth is about fun, a certain admiration for the dunkee. This idea blows.

They WOULD raise a ton of $$$ if they put mcloser in the tank. :jossun:

All Auburn fans should treat Updyke like a persona non grata and have nothing to do with Updyke, ever. If folks want to contribute to the family whose child died, send a check directly to them, not to the organizer of this event.

Were it not for posts like these, I'd never have heard of this 'event'.

But still, there ought not be even 1 AU fan anywhere near that dunking booth. Though it doesn't matter, even if no true Auburn fans are there, you know that espn will stage it to look like some AU fans came out to have a good time and dunk updyke.

I was going to react, but my feelings have been echoed already.

The only thing we should throw his way is apathy. The less the Auburn family acknowledges him, the more he loses.

This is a recipe for disaster. More than likely, you will have the fringe lunatic fans from AU show up, and witness the masses of bammer fans that are lined up to get this POS's autograph. Rioting will ensue, and AU will catch the brunt of the negative pubilicity. Worst of all, this worthy cause will suffer all because this ReTaRded man, Updyke, seeks glory and recognition from the bammers over all else.

No way this ends well if they go through with it as planned. Please, AU Family, do not let anyone you know attend this event. Donate to the cause directly if you choose, but do not give these bammers the satisfaction. A pie in the face in no way whatsoever makes up for what Harvey did to our beloved trees. Although, I can't think of anything that has happened in AU's history that brought the AU Family together more than this horrific act. Epic Fail, Harvey!! Hope you rot in hell.

War Damn Eagle

This pathetic idiot would go away if we would quit talking about him so much. All this thread does is keep his name out there. Ignore him completely and he will eventually go away. Sadly there are too many fans that refuse to ignore it and just move on.

They have recruited a convicted unrepentant felon for a charity event?????

No one should participate in this while the felon is involved.

The people that organized this have very poor judgement or no class.

They have recruited a convicted unrepentant felon for a charity event?????

No one should participate in this while the felon is involved.

The people that organized this have very poor judgement or no class.

Most of the event organizers are bammers! Nuff said....

This pathetic idiot would go away if we would quit talking about him so much. All this thread does is keep his name out there. Ignore him completely and he will eventually go away. Sadly there are too many fans that refuse to ignore it and just move on.

Amen and Amen.

Archived