ISIS Thirst for Oil

Proud Tiger

This is really scary. Why on earth is Obama not moving not moving out on the Keystone pipeline. I guess it's like his MO on everything......wait until he absolutely has to do something.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/08/21/isis-thirst-for-oil-could-lead-to-global-catastrophe-if-unchecked-experts-say/

But, but, but, but we were told they were and would remain an impoverished group of herdsmen. No better off than the Taliban.

How can ISIS bring that much oil to market ? Can't OPEC simply refuse to allow this to be sold ? Black Market ? It's not like they have some back ally stand, where they roll out barrels to sell to just anyone, is there ?

Yeah, I'd say it constitutes a big effing deal, to steal a line from Joe Biden.

How can ISIS bring that much oil to market ? Can't OPEC simply refuse to allow this to be sold ? Black Market ? It's not like they have some back ally stand, where they roll out barrels to sell to just anyone, is there ?

I am more interested in how the Keystone pipeline is going to make their oil disappear.

Guest NC1406

I am more interested in how the Keystone pipeline is going to make their oil disappear.

Only man made destruction would temporarily make the Iranian oil disappear and that would be a negative for our economy. The keystone pipeline could definitely provide a safe and cost effective way to further reduce foreign dependency on our energy demands. The only US industry gaining from the delay in the keystone pipe are our railroads (ie warren buffet). The environmentalist and warren are about to argue over new rail regulations that will increase fuel transportation costs via rail by 35%. That will make me smile. Unfortunately Warren will agree to the increases and consumers will make up the difference. Warren will keep his share I promise. We are our own worst enemy:).

Only man made destruction would temporarily make the Iranian oil disappear and that would be a negative for our economy. The keystone pipeline could definitely provide a safe and cost effective way to further reduce foreign dependency on our energy demands. The only US industry gaining from the delay in the keystone pipe are our railroads (ie warren buffet). The environmentalist and warren are about to argue over new rail regulations that will increase fuel transportation costs via rail by 35%. That will make me smile. Unfortunately Warren will agree to the increases and consumers will make up the difference. Warren will keep his share I promise. We are our own worst enemy:).

What's our current dependence on oil from the contested areas?

Guest NC1406

Hard to answer that question. What is the contested area? Iraq? If so very little. World wide crude supply is very fungible when it comes to production versus ultimate destination. The US is quickly becoming a net exporter of refined products. As a country we have laws against exporting crude but refined products are allowed. Our RFS (renewable fuel standard) gives our domestic refineries a great incentive to export finished product. We are sending huge amounts of diesel and gasoline to South America. Many producers have found a "loophole" that allows condensates to be exported. This is basically a crude with slight alterations that gets around our laws. Basically we are to the point that us crude could be a huge export with proper (pipe instead of rail) infrastructure to move balken crude to the refining and export ports.

Hard to answer that question. What is the contested area? Iraq? If so very little. World wide crude supply is very fungible when it comes to production versus ultimate destination. The US is quickly becoming a net exporter of refined products. As a country we have laws against exporting crude but refined products are allowed. Our RFS (renewable fuel standard) gives our domestic refineries a great incentive to export finished product. We are sending huge amounts of diesel and gasoline to South America. Many producers have found a "loophole" that allows condensates to be exported. This is basically a crude with slight alterations that gets around our laws. Basically we are to the point that us crude could be a huge export with proper (pipe instead of rail) infrastructure to move balken crude to the refining and export ports.

I'll just take that as a "not much". ;)

But my point - really directed to PT - is the Keystone Pipeline doesn't and shouldn't figure into our Mid East policies. At all.

Guest NC1406

I'll just take that as a "not much". ;)/>

But my point - really directed to PT - is the Keystone Pipeline doesn't and shouldn't figure into our Mid East policies. At all.

Agree with all you stated. But our politics have been oil focused for too long under all administrations. Keystone would provide better options than war for crude. Heck you and I live within a couple miles of pipelines that have provided secure supply to our area with far fewer accidents than railroads for many years. No "conflicts" required to maintain the supply. I prefer crude from the Dakotas over Saudi crude everyday.

Statement by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on Kurdish Resupply Effort

"The United States appreciates the willingness of more and more of our allies and partners to support the Iraqi people in their fight against ISIL

"Two weeks ago, I commissioned a U.S.-led working group to accelerate resupply efforts to the embattled Kurdish forces in northern Iraq. In addition to support from the U.S., and the central government of Iraq in Baghdad, seven additional nations - Albania, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom - have committed to helping provide Kurdish forces urgently needed arms and equipment. Operations have already begun and will accelerate in the coming days with more nations also expected to contribute. I'd like to thank each of these allies for working alongside the United States military.

"This multinational effort, which is being coordinated with the Government of Iraq in Baghdad, will greatly assist Kurdish forces in repelling the brutal terrorist threat they face from ISIL.

"The determination of the Iraqi people and the international community to counter the threat posed by ISIL is only growing, and the United States looks forward to working with our friends from around the world to assist this effort."

Statement by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on Kurdish Resupply Effort

"The United States appreciates the willingness of more and more of our allies and partners to support the Iraqi people in their fight against ISIL

"Two weeks ago, I commissioned a U.S.-led working group to accelerate resupply efforts to the embattled Kurdish forces in northern Iraq. In addition to support from the U.S., and the central government of Iraq in Baghdad, seven additional nations - Albania, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom - have committed to helping provide Kurdish forces urgently needed arms and equipment. Operations have already begun and will accelerate in the coming days with more nations also expected to contribute. I'd like to thank each of these allies for working alongside the United States military.

"This multinational effort, which is being coordinated with the Government of Iraq in Baghdad, will greatly assist Kurdish forces in repelling the brutal terrorist threat they face from ISIL.

"The determination of the Iraqi people and the international community to counter the threat posed by ISIL is only growing, and the United States looks forward to working with our friends from around the world to assist this effort."

Well all I can say is, we screwed them once, if we do it again I expect we can write them off as future allies.

Archived