Lunatic Fringe

AUFAN78

I checked out the St. Louis Oath Keepers website. Lunatic is a fitting descriptor.

Seriously. They even have a video advocating colloidal silver.

I checked out the St. Louis Oath Keepers website. Lunatic is a fitting descriptor.

Seriously. They even have a video advocating colloidal silver.

You know ben, there is a movement afoot in America that is gaining momentum that doesn't believe that allopathic medicine is always the most effective or necessarily the safest path to healing. I understand that you think those people are nut cases but Im not sure you even understand what you're making fun of. I'm not suggesting that colloidal silver is an answer for you or anyone else but many have had positive results using it. That being said, it pique's my curiosity but not toward making fun of those who claim to have benefited from its use.

You know ben, there is a movement afoot in America that is gaining momentum that doesn't believe that allopathic medicine is always the most effective or necessarily the safest path to healing. I understand that you think those people are nut cases but Im not sure you even understand what you're making fun of.

I do understand. Alternative medicine is one of my biggest pet peeves. I think most of the people that produce and sell such things are shysters exploiting their customers with false hope. Mind you, I do work in a medical field, so I may not be without bias.

I think it's one of those things that shows the anti-science movement is alive and well on the left, as well.

I'm not suggesting that colloidal silver is an answer for you or anyone else but many have had positive results using it. That being said, it pique's my curiosity but not toward making fun of those who claim to have benefited from its use.

Have had positive results? I'm sure there are folks that claim that, but there's no evidence that it has any sort of curative/preventive effect in vivo. In fact, a known side effect is turning you into a smurf.

Argyria_2.jpg

1029390.1145680525578.stanjones.jpg

Paul-Karason-blue-man.jpeg

You know ben, there is a movement afoot in America that is gaining momentum that doesn't believe that allopathic medicine is always the most effective or necessarily the safest path to healing. I understand that you think those people are nut cases but Im not sure you even understand what you're making fun of.

I do understand. Alternative medicine is one of my biggest pet peeves. I think most of the people that produce and sell such things are shysters exploiting their customers with false hope. Mind you, I do work in a medical field, so I may not be without bias.

I think it's one of those things that shows the anti-science movement is alive and well on the left, as well.

I'm not suggesting that colloidal silver is an answer for you or anyone else but many have had positive results using it. That being said, it pique's my curiosity but not toward making fun of those who claim to have benefited from its use.

Have had positive results? I'm sure there are folks that claim that, but there's no evidence that it has any sort of curative/preventive effect in vivo. In fact, a known side effect is turning you into a smurf.

Argyria_2.jpg

1029390.1145680525578.stanjones.jpg

Paul-Karason-blue-man.jpeg

That would be a great argument if a synthetic debacle like Vioxx had never occurred. It was touted as the next wonder drug and killed 40,000 people. Watch TV for more than 30 minutes to see if you can do it w/o having to see another civil suit against another drug company for unintended side effects of certain synthetically manufactured drugs. Bottom line, everyone has "to sleep in their own bed," if you will, as it relates to what they believe. Im a big proponent of increasing awareness.

That would be a great argument if a synthetic debacle like Vioxx had never occurred. It was touted as the next wonder drug and killed 40,000 people. Watch TV for more than 30 minutes to see if you can do it w/o having to see another civil suit against another drug company for unintended side effects of certain synthetically manufactured drugs.

I don't follow. Could you elucidate?

Bottom line, everyone has "to sleep in their own bed," if you will, as it relates to what they believe. Im a big proponent of increasing awareness.

It's mostly benign, but it's dangerous when vulnerable people elect to forgo actual medical treatment in favor of some shyster that says they can cure their life threatening ailment.

That would be a great argument if a synthetic debacle like Vioxx had never occurred. It was touted as the next wonder drug and killed 40,000 people. Watch TV for more than 30 minutes to see if you can do it w/o having to see another civil suit against another drug company for unintended side effects of certain synthetically manufactured drugs.

Bottom line, everyone has "to sleep in their own bed," if you will, as it relates to what they believe. Im a big proponent of increasing awareness.

It's mostly benign, but it's dangerous when vulnerable people elect to forgo actual medical treatment in favor of some shyster that says they can cure their life threatening ailment.

Whats not to follow? There are no silver bullets in the practice of medicine and clinically manufactured drugs are not a panacea. There are unintended consequences to using prescription medication. I used Vioxx as an example and depending upon who you wish to believe between 30,000 and 60,000 people died as a direct result of using it. Homeopathic remedies may not promise 100% efficacy but, for the most part, you can use then with a reasonable level of confidence that they wont kill you.I have never advocated vulnerable people do anything, specifically, but, I do not fault people for taking a serious look at alternative medicine.

Here's a little history lesson. around the turn of the century all medicine was of the homeopathic variety until the Ford, Rockefeller, Mellon and Astor got involved because they saw an opportunity. They liked what the Germans were doing in terms of identifying symptoms and doing research to clinically manufacture a remedy to eliminate those symptoms. In other words, treat the symptoms of the disease not the mechanism of the disease. They decided to set up the American Medical Association and methodically started to stop funding off all the med schools who continue to focus on homeopathic medicine. It was a way to capitalize on a new medical system because the knew their would be huge money in the development of clinically manufactured drugs to treat disease via an allopathic approach and they were obviously right.

Now all a company has to do is pay the FDA $800 million dollars and they can get their approval and the patent on their drug for 7 years I think it before a generic version can be made. Sure, I realize they're supposed to perform clinical trials and all that but clearly most of their white papers are boged up BS. I used the drug Vioxx because it was manufactured by Merck, one of the most respected Big Pharma companies. Their wonder drug Vioxx was a deadly brew and the fact is, it hasn't stopped there. Like i said, there are so many civil suits against Big Pharma you cant watch TV for 30 minutes w/o being exposed to them. At any rate, I believe in doing the right things to avoid the predictable outcomes of doing the wrongs things. In America, most people have turned their well being over to a physician which I think is insane. I trust a doctor about as much as I trust lawyers. Their intentions are good but they're a product of what they're taught. Most of them can't even tell you what a healthy lifestyle is because all their training is geared toward identifying symptoms and prescribing a clinically manufactured drug to eliminate them.

I am not advocating a thing here but Im in charge of my health, not a physician and I do not take prescription medications. Naturally, things very well may change but Im no spring chicken and I do not foresee that happening.

Lunatic fringe?

Hell, here those are moderates.

While I'll give you cred for humor, I respectfully disagree. It is rather apparent no one group here has a monopoly on lunacy. :ucrazy:

Is the lunatic fringe, still the lunatic fringe, if they become the majority?

Wow! Rather not dwell on that too long. Time for another :beer2:

Just laugh, no case...just laugh.....

There ARE some stone cold loons here...........BOTH teams could use some cuts to get under the limit.

indeed

.......Now all a company has to do is pay the FDA $800 million dollars and they can get their approval and the patent on their drug for 7 years I think it before a generic version can be made. Sure, I realize they're supposed to perform clinical trials and all that but clearly most of their white papers are boged up BS....

You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about. While I am no expert, I do have some professional experience in this field.

Is the lunatic fringe, still the lunatic fringe, if they become the majority?

Absolutely look at how long the democrats have controlled congress.

Archived