ESPN SEC QB Grades

RunInRed

Grading each SEC QB situation

David Ching, ESPN.com | August 22, 2014

Last year was possibly the best in recent memory for SEC quarterbacks. From Johnny Manziel and A.J. McCarron to Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger, the conference was loaded with a Heisman Trophy winner, a two-time national champ, school record-holders and NFL draft picks. Things are a little different this year. Outside of Auburn, most schools are dealing with major questions under center. Where do things stand as the season gets ready to kick off? Here's a look at how things went last year, what to watch for this year and a projected grade for how each team's quarterbacks will do in 2014.

The Established Star: Nick Marshall, Auburn Tigers

2013 in review: Marshall made a huge splash in his first season as the Tigers' starter, rushing for 1,068 yards and 12 touchdowns and passing for another 1,976 yards and 14 scores as Auburn stunned the college football world by reaching the BCS championship game. He also completed one of the most memorable plays in Auburn football history when his tipped pass to Ricardo Louis went for the game-winning, 73-yard touchdown to beat Georgia.

What to watch: One of the Tigers' big points of emphasis since the end of last season has been improving the passing game. Marshall and the rushing attack are lethal, but there were times Marshall was simply not accurate enough when the Tigers desperately needed a completion. If he shows in the opener against Arkansas that he's more than just a runner who can occasionally pull a rabbit out of his hat with one of his highlight-reel completions, Marshall might actually contend for the Heisman.

Projected 2014 grade: A

Miss St- B+

Mizz- A-

UGA- B+

SCar- B

Bama- B

Ark- D

UF- C+

Vandy- C

UK- C-

UT- C-

LSU- B-

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11388032/2014-sec-quarterback-breakdowns

In my opinion, it seems pretty ridiculous to give Bama a grade of "B" on their QB situation when they don't even know who's going to start. Coker apparently hasn't proven himself any better than the others, and the others looked pretty pitiful in their spring game.

Also, since I'd give Nick Marshall an "A" on last year's performance, and expect him to be even better this year with another year of Gus' tutelage and better receivers, then I'd have to give hi an "A+" going into the season.

In my opinion, it seems pretty ridiculous to give Bama a grade of "B" on their QB situation when they don't even know who's going to start. Coker apparently hasn't proven himself any better than the others, and the others looked pretty pitiful in their spring game.

Also, since I'd give Nick Marshall an "A" on last year's performance, and expect him to be even better this year with another year of Gus' tutelage and better receivers, then I'd have to give hi an "A+" going into the season.

Glad they gave Nick and Auburn the "A" they deserve. Bama's "B" and they don't know who the starter is.......interesting in deed.

That's absurd that South Carolina and Alabama are graded the same. Dylan Thompson for USCe has, ya know, actually played. He won against UCF and Missouri last year.

That's absurd that South Carolina and Alabama are graded the same. Dylan Thompson for USCe has, ya know, actually played. He won against UCF and Missouri last year.

Look at who was doing the grading. That's all you have to know.

SO SO TRUE,,,,,

A DawgNation writer?

He was the starter against Mizzou, but they lose that game if Connor Shaw doesn't come in to bail them out in the 4th quarter. It's a little misleading to say he won that game.

No matter who starts, from practice reports, they'll be at highest a C.

Blake Sims proved to have his running ability to be nipped by Saban, and wants to become a passer, which he can't do.

Jacob Coker had what a 30% completion rating in practice? I understand Alabama has a talented defense, but that's inexcusable with the talent Alabama has on offense.

Cooper Bateman looked about as good as Jonathan Wallace, fourth string Auburn QB in the spring game (the one game you should look good in.)

So if Coker doesn't work out...lord

even when the media gives us credit you guys turn it into a negative

seriously. how many threads have we made about SECN disrespecting our position groups, then we finally come out on top in a ranking and we are still upset. Some people care way too much what those clowns think of us. In less than a week we get to start proving them wrong, and then it won't matter if they rank us last and bama first in every category, as long as we are winning

Blake Sims proved to have his running ability to be nipped by Saban, and wants to become a passer, which he can't do.

Jacob Coker had what a 30% completion rating in practice? I understand Alabama has a talented defense, but that's inexcusable with the talent Alabama has on offense.

Cooper Bateman looked about as good as Jonathan Wallace, fourth string Auburn QB in the spring game (the one game you should look good in.)

Lay off my boy Jwall. He was the only player on the 2012 team to give a damn about anything! You gotta respect him.

He may have been the only qb that did. People talked crap when Coates called out the team but looking back on it he really was the only one at that time that was willing to step up and be a leader

Lay off my boy Jwall. He was the only player on the 2012 team to give a damn about anything! You gotta respect him.

Mason, Mason,and...Mason

Mason, Mason,and...Mason

You're right. Thanks Chimes.

Archived