Gene Wojciechowski

AubTiger14

pre-season predictions don't matter as soon as the games start, but still......Gene Wojchiechowski wrote on article today that had Bama picked to win the SEC with LSU as his backup. Didn't even have us in his pre-season top 10. Likes our team, but says schedule is too tough. Dumb reason to knock us out of the pre-season top 10. You are assuming everyone on our schedule will be as good as advertised, at full strength, play an A game, etc. when they face us. I agree the schedule looks tough on paper, but there are way too many unknown variables that affect the season to be basing your preseason ranking on the perception of a team's schedule.

I understand the reasoning for thinking that we have a tough schedule making us a long shot. I don't understand the whole "Bama is going to run the table" when they have so many unknowns. We have just as good of a coach, and we know our starters. They kick off in 5 days and don't have a QB yet.

I don't quite understand taking schedule into consideration in a pre-season poll.

If you are trying to predict wins and losses, how can you not consider the schedule?

I don't quite understand taking schedule into consideration in a pre-season poll.

If you are trying to predict wins and losses, how can you not consider the schedule?

A preseason poll is just ranking teams by strength, right? No one has played a game yet, so I don't understand taking into consideration schedule. You are ranking them on how good they are right now, taking their current record into mind.

If you were trying to predict wins and losses, say for a pre-season prediction then absolutely, but I don't see where it comes into play for a poll.

The schedule, I do not believe, is the problem. In pre-season rankings, it is who is the best team at this point, who comes into the season that way? I've heard multiple analysts even go as far as saying "Auburn is the best team in the country" but go on to say that "their schedule is too tough so I don't have them in my top 5 because I don't think they'll run the table." That is what I do not understand, the fact that you say Auburn is the best team in the country but, you don't have them at number 1. If we are in fact the best team in the country, project us at number 1 until we lose a game! Doesn't make sense, but then again, not much about the media does. When the games begin to be played, everyone will find out Auburn came to play.

The schedule, I do not believe, is the problem. In pre-season rankings, it is who is the best team at this point, who comes into the season that way? I've heard multiple analysts even go as far as saying "Auburn is the best team in the country" but go on to say that "their schedule is too tough so I don't have them in my top 5 because I don't think they'll run the table." That is what I do not understand, the fact that you say Auburn is the best team in the country but, you don't have them at number 1. If we are in fact the best team in the country, project us at number 1 until we lose a game! Doesn't make sense, but then again, not much about the media does. When the games begin to be played, everyone will find out Auburn came to play.

yea that's exactly how I see it

Preseason predictions are based on prior season performance, losses to graduation/NFL, upcoming schedule and what other writers think. That's all the guessers have to go on since they don't get to see practices and know few details of the real capabilities of incoming freshmen/JUCOs. I pay them no mind since I think for the above reasons that they are meaningless.

I worry more about the day to day injuries and suspensions.

We have quietly lost a LOT of starters.

It's the age-old problem of not defining pre-season (or any other regular season) polls. Are they supposed to be a vote ranking teams #1-25 THAT week? Are they supposed to be a vote of where the pollsters that week think teams will be after the national title game? If the latter, schedule to come makes a huge difference. Decades of interviews with the pollsters themselves shows they don't agree on what they're voting for...until the final poll.

and fwiw, nope, never tire of discussing relevant issues like how much credit/disregard we may get from voters (the most relevant folks to teams aspiring for titles/high rankings) by beating/losing to opponent.

James G,

I said in the OP that preseason polls don't matter until the games kickoff, but I felt like dropping us out of the top 10 and giving LSU a better shot to win the SEC was a little extreme, and thus validated some discussion. It's redundant and unproductive to complain about a preseason poll thread. It's the preseason, that's a main part of preseason discussion. If you don't like it than you should have clicked the back arrow after you read the first sentence.

Anyone else sick of these threads?? Good Lord, WHO CARES about preseason prognostications from dopes in the media.

Yes. Very much so.

And yet you both perpetuate them, or at least this one.

Wojo is a hack reporter. Has been, always will be. Everyone will be shocked when Alabama loses a few games this year. But it's like an opinion man.

Anyone else sick of these threads?? Good Lord, WHO CARES about preseason prognostications from dopes in the media.

Yes. Very much so.

And if it was posted in the media forum, where it belongs, I'd have never bothered clicking.

AU fans need to stop getting in a tizzy every time Auburn isn't mentioned in a positive light or drooled upon in the media. This has been going on for a long time now. It's nothing new.

Yes. Very much so.

And if it was posted in the media forum, where it belongs, I'd have never bothered clicking.

AU fans need to stop getting in a tizzy every time Auburn isn't mentioned in a positive light or drooled upon in the media. This has been going on for a long time now. It's nothing new.

Fair enough and agreed.

Nobody is in a tizzy. This article is an outlier, in regards to Auburn's ranking, compared to every other preseason ranking/poll I have seen.

Dude everybody's in a tizzy every time some goober in the media doesn't rank Auburn, our players, our coaches at the top of their pre-season list. The damn Never to Yield Foundation has created a "Bias Watch Section" where members are to report any media bias. They are catalogging all incidents of media bias in their new Bias Watch Section.... WTF?

Archived